Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Star Trek Nemesis - Where's the trailer?

Old 06-10-03, 12:40 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Went through the extra's on Nemesis and there's no trailer, I guess they'll probably include it in a future 2 disk release :/
Old 06-10-03, 12:46 PM

I was wondering the same thing, I thoght it was taboo in this day and age to be a studio and release a dvd without at least the trailor. If anybody knows if its on the dvd do chime in.
Old 06-10-03, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts
Pretty lame that they left it off the dsic since it was a great trailer too.
Old 06-10-03, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

It's on the ST:IV SE. Weird that it wasn't included on this release.
Old 06-10-03, 06:47 PM

Yup, that's lame.

THere should always be trailer and deleted scenes on DVDs!
Old 06-10-03, 07:46 PM

It's a space issue. It's not because we didn't want to. It came down to a choice of what to include and what to exclude.
Old 06-10-03, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

why would anyone want the trailer of the movie that is on the disc, in full? weird.

Are there any extra features at all on the disc? or just the movie?
Old 06-10-03, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not having the trailer is no big deal to me, I really like the movie and it looked great on DVD and that is enough for me.
Old 06-10-03, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I wish the trailer had been on there, but what the Paramount dude said is valid I suppose... Anyway, I got the trailer as a special disc with one of my ST: TNG box sets. I replaced the original case with a double disc case and then put it inside

That 2 disc version better have it and ALL of the deleted scenes!! Do you HEAR ME MR. BLYTHE???? (Best stern voice).
Old 06-10-03, 09:03 PM
Cool New Member

Trailers are little more than ephemera and, while not really necessary, they are great for the nostalgic film fan who wants to revisit a particular favourite film years down the road.

Now, with that in mind, leaving the Nemesis trailer out and putting in one for "The Hours" is a total bonehead move. Thematic elements should not be sacrificed for cross-promotion (especially when the dopey "previews or feature" screen is the first bleedin' thing the consumer sees!). For Trek releases, think "Trek"! Not "Streep"! (If Meryl ain't wearin' pointed ears, that should be a clue.)

Just call me a customer who feels that the valuable compression space on the Nemesis release was not used wisely. Very bad move, indeed, Paramount.

---r.b.
Old 06-10-03, 11:35 PM

why would anyone want the trailer of the movie that is on the disc, in full? weird.
Why would anyone want the trailer? It's my favorite extra! I love to go back and see how a movie was marketed. I agree, that it's lame that they couldn't fit it, because they had to make room for "The Hours" Trailer. Very Lame.

Ric
Old 06-11-03, 08:30 AM

Originally posted by cloggedmind
Trailers are little more than ephemera and, while not really necessary, they are great for the nostalgic film fan who wants to revisit a particular favourite film years down the road.

Now, with that in mind, leaving the Nemesis trailer out and putting in one for "The Hours" is a total bonehead move. Thematic elements should not be sacrificed for cross-promotion (especially when the dopey "previews or feature" screen is the first bleedin' thing the consumer sees!). For Trek releases, think "Trek"! Not "Streep"! (If Meryl ain't wearin' pointed ears, that should be a clue.)

Just call me a customer who feels that the valuable compression space on the Nemesis release was not used wisely. Very bad move, indeed, Paramount.

---r.b.
Well said. I forgot all about the "Hours" trailer
Old 06-11-03, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: Chicago, only a stone's throw from Chicago (even if you throw like a girl)
Well, if they go back and release all the TNG films as 2 disk SE's, then I am sure the trailer will rear its head then.
Old 06-11-03, 09:04 AM

I'm sure it will. Too bad it will be 2 or more years down the road.

Ric
Old 06-11-03, 11:14 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 571 Likes on 331 Posts
I'm just happy that a first release of a Trek film had any extras at all - personally, I'd rather see deleted scenes and interviews than a trailer.

I agree, however, that if space is the issue, dump the cross-promotional trailer for another movie and include the trailer for the movie you're selling.
Old 06-11-03, 11:45 AM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Martin Blythe
It's a space issue. It's not because we didn't want to. It came down to a choice of what to include and what to exclude.
Far enough, but why include the Hours trailer? We bought a Star Trek DVD to see Star Trek.
Old 06-11-03, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Martin Blythe
Thank you Martin for taking the time to share your knowledge of the situation. This disc is so chock full of supplements and extras that I certainly didn't miss the inclusion of the trailer.

There is one thing however that I would have loved on the disc, and that is an isolated score. I know Paramount does not typically offer this feature...just food for thought. The soundtrack to the movie adds so much to the atmosphere....
Old 06-11-03, 12:11 PM

Why would anyone want the trailer? It's my favorite extra! I love to go back and see how a movie was marketed. I agree, that it's lame that they couldn't fit it, because they had to make room for "The Hours" Trailer. Very Lame.
Now, don't get me wrong, I LOVE having trailers too. In fact, I would have to say they are my favorite extra as well. . .

But, think of it from Paramount's point of view. If you were Paramount, and you had room for one trailer because of space constraints and you had to choose, why would you choose the trailer for Nemesis?? I mean, why not put the trailer for another movie? You have already bought/rented Nemesis, so they want to show you a trailer for another film in hopes you will rent/buy that as well. That makes sense to me. After all, when I went to see X2 in the theatre, they did not have a trailer for X2. They had a trailer for Bruce Almighty though. I agree with you that I wish the trailer were on the disc. However, from a profit/marketing point of view, I can not blame them at all for inluding the trailer for The Hours instead of Nemesis...

Just my opinion.

Last edited by ZackR; 06-11-03 at 12:17 PM.
Old 06-11-03, 12:20 PM
Suspended

Well the problem is that most studios, Paramount included, are using the VHS Marketing model on DVD. And it does'nt relate. DVD is not VHS. Although the studeios would like to think it is. DVD started out as a Sell thru medium. And Unfortunately as it's becoming Mainstream has melded into a sell thru/rental medium. Hence Paramount's putting in the Hours Trailer over what collector's would want
Old 06-11-03, 01:09 PM

I'm actually surprised that so many of you clicked on the Previews section on the disc in the first place. As was previously mentioned, DVD is NOT VHS. I do not in the least miss being force-fed trailers before the feature. I happily skipped the Previews option on this disc and went straight to the feature.
Old 06-11-03, 02:10 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally posted by Fok
Far enough, but why include the Hours trailer? We bought a Star Trek DVD to see Star Trek.
I think 'The Hours' trailer was included because (if you look closely) Julianne Moore plays Crewman # 73 in Nemesis. Now it makes sense why 'The Hours' trailer appears!!

Old 06-11-03, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by vegasbaby
I think 'The Hours' trailer was included because (if you look closely) Julianne Moore plays Crewman # 73 in Nemesis. Now it makes sense why 'The Hours' trailer appears!!

When did you get hired in the marketing department at Paramount?

I don't mind when a studio includes trailers for other films on their DVD AS LONG AS you have to choose it from the menu (it doesn't play automatically) and at least 1 trailer is included for the actual film on the DVD. Bad, Paramount, bad. You're turning into Disney now.
Old 06-11-03, 03:43 PM

Basically, the trailer for Nemesis should've been included. It's a staple. And if you're going to put other previews on there, perhaps thinking about target audience would be a decent idea? I mean, people buying Star Trek aren't exactly the demographics you go hunting for people to watch The Hours. Not saying the two don't cross, but at least some thematic relation would be nice. It's just silly...Paramount has always been behind the curve with DVDs.