Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Do you prefer deleted scenes to be inserted back into the movie?

Old 06-09-03, 01:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Every now and then comes out a dvd that is a Directors cut. Or the people who made the movie dvd will put the deleted scenes as a special feature separte from the movie.

Do you prefer deleted scenes or extended scenes that are cut to be placed back into the movie or do you prefer a section in special features where you can watch each deleted scene separtley?
Old 06-09-03, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would like to have the option to watch it in the movie or seperatly. But its usually kinda cool to watch them integrated.
Old 06-09-03, 01:58 PM

I agree with chrisih8u
Old 06-09-03, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

It depends why the scenes were deleted. If they were deleted to make a shorter film to please the studio, then I'd like them reinserted. If they were deleted because the director didn't think the scenes worked, then I like them kept separate.
Old 06-09-03, 02:09 PM

Received 121 Likes on 83 Posts
Only if the option to watch the theatrical version is there.
Old 06-09-03, 02:17 PM
Suspended

No, I prefer them to be separate from the original movie, although there are exceptions. Prime example would be the LOTR:FOTR EE where they showed the gift giving part.
Old 06-09-03, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If it was up to the director(s), and he felt that it really should have been in it, then yes. But if they are stupid cut scenes that have no barring on the movie, no. Like, Aliens 3, David Finchers terriable cut movie, he really thinks it shoul dbe back and then in that case I would like to see them added. Also, doing the LOTR things was great also, being able to buy both, and if you desire them both, get them.
Old 06-09-03, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Usually, they're deleted for a reason.
Old 06-09-03, 02:24 PM
Suspended

Personally, I would like to see an option where you can either see the theatrical version without the missing/cut scenes in there or choose to see the version with missing/cut scenes integrated into the movie and not as a separate thing to see as an extra feature.
Old 06-09-03, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

DVDs have optional branching as a standard feature. This would allow you to turn deleted scenes on/off. I have heard of this being used once, can't remember on what. It is the most obvious method to deal with deleted scenes, yet is never used. Stupid.

The one I don't understand is Superman. Some deleted scenes are back in, but not all? And the deleted scenes that I had actually seen before in some presentation are the ones left out?
Old 06-09-03, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I prefer the choice to integrate them w/ the movie. One example is X-Men. You have the choice of watching the movie with the deleted scenes re-inserted or w/o. It's always nice to have the option, as some movies I would love to see them w/ the deleted scenes, and some movies have deleted scenes that are better off seeing once in the extras section of the DVD and forgetting about them.
Old 06-09-03, 03:10 PM

yeah, I LOVE to see deleted scenes but I also want to be able to watch the theatrical release as well...

Seamless branching is a great answer to adding the cut scenes back into a theatrical cut, but many films need to be re-edited in order to flow correctly. In a perfect scenario, I would prefer a theatrical cut, with a director's cut being separate, and any other deleted / extended scenes being place in another section altogether.
Old 06-09-03, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Deleted scenes added back into the movie would be nice if and only if the scenes themselves are fully-produced and not in their rough/dallie form.
Old 06-09-03, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Branching is good...
Old 06-09-03, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Yakuza Bengoshi
It depends why the scenes were deleted. If they were deleted to make a shorter film to please the studio, then I'd like them reinserted. If they were deleted because the director didn't think the scenes worked, then I like them kept separate.
What he said.
Old 06-09-03, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Simpson Purist
Deleted scenes added back into the movie would be nice if and only if the scenes themselves are fully-produced and not in their rough/dallie form.
Yeah, I used to think "scenes left on the cutting room floor" was more of a figure of speech, but after seeing some cut scenes on dvd it seems they were being quite literal.
Old 06-09-03, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Most of the time (not counting a "Director's Cut"), the deleted scenes should remain just that, deleted. Most of the time they were deleted for very good reasons, usually pacing...

I do like to see the deleted scenes with cues as to where the belong in the film... for example, original is black and white and the deleted scenes are in color... It helps to see how they would affect the flow.
Old 06-09-03, 06:16 PM
Rest in Peace

Nothing like sex and vilence in dolby surround, I want all in the DVD not as a picture gallery after the fact, since I cxan't get either except in my dreams!
Old 06-09-03, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by danol
Nothing like sex and vilence in dolby surround, I want all in the DVD not as a picture gallery after the fact, since I cxan't get either except in my dreams!

danol strikes again.
Old 06-09-03, 06:46 PM

Sounds like we're all pretty much in agreement. With seamless branching available (and that's no new technology either - as far as DVDs go) there should be little reason to give us only the extended version of a movie. I just wish studios would quit forcing non-theatrical cuts down our throats. I'm still holding out for the original version of 'Last Of The Mohicans'.

Look at T2: UE!! There are 3 versions of that film on one disc. That's the way to do it!!
Old 06-09-03, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Yakuza Bengoshi
I also agree with what Yakuza said.
Old 06-09-03, 08:55 PM

Depends.

1776 should never be released in the Jack Warner (theatrical) cut. It was butchered by cuts that had no rhyme or reason. The restored version is the only way to watch it.

Amadeus doesn't need the longer cut. I don't believe Forman really wanted to keep those scenes. It feels more like a gimmick for the rerelease/DVD. I would not have minded at all if those deleted scenes remained in a deleted scenes section.

Superman and Close Encounters should definitely have branching to watch both versions.
Old 06-09-03, 09:54 PM
Cool New Member

You all have good ideas. I really never thought about this issue until it was mentioned. I do get frustrated on some movies when DVD versions are quite different than theater versions b/c it makes it more difficult to discuss it critically. It's sometimes unclear to me what role the director plays in the extended versions on the DVD.

When special effects are the star, I usually like as much as they'll include
Old 06-09-03, 10:29 PM

Its always nice to have the option like the T2 UE you can watch different versions. One another example I could think is the Star Wars Episode I when they showed some deleted scenes or the Fast and the Furious, it would to very nice to have two options.
Old 06-09-03, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think that if the director had reason to cut the scenes because he felt they didn't need to be there to aid the film then just make them "extras." If he cut them for reasons such as time constraints, etc... such as was done by Peter Jackson in LOTR:FOTR, then by all means if he thinks it improves the film then throw them babies right in there with the meat!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.