Frank Herbert's Dune differences

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-03, 12:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just found Frank Herbert's Dune at Borders for $8.99, it is the 2 disc version of the Mini-series. Has anybody seen both what are the differences are they major. Is it worth the extra expense?
Old 06-06-03, 02:10 PM

I've seen both. The 3-disc is better audio/video. The additional scenes in the 3-disc version are all character interactions. If you've never read the books or are happy with the tv version then you aren't missing much. In my opinion the 3-disc version is better and worth the extra expense.
Old 06-06-03, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts
I do believe there are a few extra scene cuts as well. The 3-disc version is certainly worth it, if you want to get the most for your money. However, one major problem I have with this set is that the packaging is utterly retarded. It should have been in a keepcase, not a cardboard version which will break and show signs of wear only after a few uses. The original 2-disc version was in a keepcase, so it's beyond my mental capacity why the 3-disc version got a lousy and cheap treatment.
Old 06-06-03, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 746 Likes on 452 Posts
Main reason for getting the 3-disc version? Chani's lovely boobies...
Old 06-08-03, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The difference? Night and Day.

The 3-disc version is anamorphic, 5.1 sound, director's cut with about 30 extra minutes, and has tons of extras that are acutally worth sitting through.

The 2-disc edition has none of these features.

$8.99 may sound like a bargain, but just keep in mind that it's on clearance for a reason... namely that it sucks.

You can get the new 3-disc set for only $13.29 from DeepDiscountDVD with no tax and free shipping. You definitely want to spend the extra 4 bucks if you're thinking about getting this.
Old 06-08-03, 09:15 PM

Originally posted by Matt Millheiser
Main reason for getting the 3-disc version? Chani's lovely boobies...

Exactly!!
Old 06-09-03, 04:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,985 Likes on 2,035 Posts
Originally posted by bboisvert
The difference? Night and Day.

The 3-disc version is anamorphic, 5.1 sound, director's cut with about 30 extra minutes, and has tons of extras that are acutally worth sitting through.

The 2-disc edition has none of these features.

$8.99 may sound like a bargain, but just keep in mind that it's on clearance for a reason... namely that it sucks.

You can get the new 3-disc set for only $13.29 from DeepDiscountDVD with no tax and free shipping. You definitely want to spend the extra 4 bucks if you're thinking about getting this.
What he said.

Don't even bother with the two-disc set. I honestly don't know why Artisan hasn't deleted the older set. The 3-disc has made it redundant in every possible way.
Old 06-11-03, 08:59 AM
Cool New Member

I just received my copy of the 3 disc version. As DVD Polizei said - what is with the crappy digi-pak packaging? (I usually like my digi-paks).

Mine had that clear sticker over the top edge stuck firmly to the cardboard on the back & front. I managed to remove it from the shiny gold on the front - only losing a small amount of the gloss finish But, there's no way I could remove the stupid sticker from the back.

The actual plastic parts of the case are quite cool - makes the think look like a book - I think the whole thing should have been in some kind of slip case to protect it.
Old 06-11-03, 08:07 PM

Could someone please post a picture of the packaging? I'm thinking of ordering the 3-disc set from the U.S. since they don't sell it in Europe (at least I've never seen it here...)
Old 06-11-03, 10:27 PM

The 3-Disc set also comes with an additional DTS track.
Old 06-11-03, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have to agree with all the others on the 3-disc packaging. I have yet to even watch it and just from moving it around on the shelf with new additions has added some easily-seen dings to it.