DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk Archive (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive-54/)
-   -   Black Hawk Down SE appreciation thread (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive/297294-black-hawk-down-se-appreciation-thread.html)

Class316 06-06-03 04:49 PM

Originally posted by superdeluxe
Yeah the packgaging was pretty cheap, it has already fallen apart for me.
maybe it would have been better on R2 or R4 :/

shanester 06-06-03 05:13 PM

I remember seeing the PBS special "Ambush In Mogadishu" a few years back with that guy with the serious voice who narrates all the pbs documentaries it seems..

It was very riveting and sad at the end when the soldiers talked about some of their buddies than didn't make it

Is this the same one on the disk??

Cheers!

Xytraguptorh 06-06-03 05:16 PM

Yeah, it's an episode of Frontline. It's my favorite of all the extras. The History Channel documentary is good too, but to me the PBS documentary was more realistic.

Surf Monkey 06-06-03 05:20 PM

Originally posted by DVD Polizei
I have to agree--this is probably one of the best upgrades ever. I'm looking forward to getting this. The PBS and other documentaries are a real gem.
The Frontline episode included (Ambush in Mogadishu) is one of the best they've ever done. A very nice addition to a very nice release. Too bad about the packaging though. Since Futurama came out I just can't stand anyone's packaging, especially not this cardboard junk.

shanester 06-06-03 05:23 PM

That Frontline episode alone is worth the price of the disc IMO..Everything else is a major hard on..oops!..I mean bonus..:)

jarofclay73 06-06-03 05:40 PM

I'd have to say this is the DVD of the year so far. Great movie, lots of commentaries, great video (the bitrate is low, but it still looks good since the colors are kinda muted anyway), great audio, and definitely the best extras since LOTR:EE (and really, content-wise, I think it's better).

dgc 06-06-03 05:57 PM

:drool:

I don't think I can wait for the "My Sony" deal to come through. I'm trying to resist the temptation of cracking open my Target copy.

superdeluxe 06-06-03 06:45 PM

Content wise it is better than the LOTR:EE I am glad I waited to pick up BHD.

Has anyone hit the 2nd disc of extras yet? how are those?

PJsig08 06-06-03 06:54 PM

Originally posted by dgc
:drool:

I don't think I can wait for the "My Sony" deal to come through. I'm trying to resist the temptation of cracking open my Target copy.

Just return the mySony one to Target when it arrives....you got 90 days with a Target receipt.

atari2600 06-06-03 07:03 PM

will CH eventually carry the SE?

eau 06-06-03 08:04 PM

I love my BHD DE :up::up::up:

jarofclay73 06-06-03 08:18 PM

I have only seen the PBS documentary so far and I think it could have been a separate DVD unto itself. My friend says the same about the History Channel documentary as well.

I can't wait to hit the making-of featurettes.

madcougar 06-06-03 10:50 PM

This is my second favorite DVD (after Toy Story Toy Box). I'm glad someone started this thread as I am just too lazy.

Panda Phil 06-06-03 10:57 PM

Including the two documentaries was really a stroke of genius. The movie was a bit confusing at times, but the docs really put it all in context, explaining exactly why the Somalians hated our troops and giving a much better rundown of the when's and where's of the battle.

The soldiers commentary was very good, and explained what parts of the film were factual, and what were Hollywood embellishment. Very interesting and inspiring. Far more entertaining was the writers commentary. A lot of their stories about being on the set and working with the director were just LOL funny.

Haven't listened to the Ridley Scott comentary yet though.

Definately one of the years 'Must have' disks, just barely edged out IMO by FOTR:EE.

SCHMEGGA 06-06-03 11:32 PM

Man, I can't wait to watch this. :drool:

GoldenJCJ 06-07-03 12:21 AM

Agreed! This is the best DVD I've purchased in a long time. (I thought both the video and audio quality were very good)

Adding the TFR commentary is a rare example of a studio going above and beyond for a DVD release

the 3 commentaries plus the 2 feature length documentaries turn what I would normally call an expensive DVD into a bargain.

IMO
LOTR:EE wins for quantity supplements
BHD wins for quality supplement

HistoryProf 06-07-03 02:26 AM

Very impressive set indeed....my only gripe is the lack of DTS on the film that won an oscar for best sound. That's just a travesty given the all-out treatment they gave it every other way. No three disc treatment of any film should lack DTS, especially one as good as this one......

and another :up: to the inlusion of the Frontline ep. Frontline is easily the best current events/news-oriented show on television.

jarofclay73 06-07-03 03:29 AM

Originally posted by GoldenJCJ
IMO
LOTR:EE wins for quantity supplements
BHD wins for quality supplement

Exactly my thoughts. I thought some of the featurettes (especially the one about writing) on the LOTR:EE had too many talking heads. While I normally hate intercutting interviews with scenes of the movie, some of the documentaries on LOTR:EE could have benefited from it--at least to break the monotony.

While the great documentaries on BHD:DE are from third-party sources, they are definitely quality stuff. And the "interactive" timeline is the best I have ever seen. Timelines are usually quite boring. Not this one. And I have yet to watch the second disc. And I haven't even touched the commentaries yet. Too bad Pearl Harbor Vista isn't this good.

Gunde 06-07-03 12:58 PM

Originally posted by UncleCaveman
its to expensive. I don't have money to pay for the darn thing..... but I will eventually.
???!?!?!?

Check out www.dvdpricecheck.co.uk - you can get it very cheap several places.

RichDB10 06-07-03 01:24 PM

Received mine in the post this morning and no prizes for guessing what i'll be watching this weekend.
I have to say i'm not too troubled by the packaging as i have been lucky enough to have received my digipak and discs in pristine condition and to be honest i've never had an issue with digipaks.
If i could possibly criticise this package in any way it would be the lack of a booklet of some sort which i have to admit i do tend to like although realise the discs contents more than compensate for this.

matrixrok9 06-07-03 02:27 PM

Very well done DVD. Since BHD is my favorite movie, this was a no brainer. Not just bs documentaries. I love the TV spots, especially the 3rd one. So heroic. I only listened to the special forces commentary and it seemed pretty good. I didn't watch the whole thing though as I can't watch any commentary in one sitting. I think the extras for this one is better than LOTR : EE.

Rypro 525 06-07-03 02:46 PM

I got an extra 3rd disc if anyone wants it.

Manco 06-07-03 09:54 PM

The only thing that disappoints me about this SE is the box art especially after looking at the theatrical poster cocepts on the 3rd disc. You mean out of all those great posters they chose Hartnett's head?

SCHMEGGA 06-07-03 10:01 PM

Originally posted by Manco
The only thing that disappoints me about this SE is the box art especially after looking at the theatrical poster cocepts on the 3rd disc. You mean out of all those great posters they chose Hartnett's head?
But that is the "in" thing right now. They wouldn't want to be different from every other studio would they?

superdeluxe 06-07-03 10:06 PM

DVDtalks review on the DVD review forum.

It got a DVD talk collectors edition .