Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

any classical music DVDs in 5.1?

Old 06-02-03, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

subject pretty much says it all. Are there any DVDs out there of classical music performances in 5.1 sound?
Old 06-02-03, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
While I can't think of any music-only discs off the top of my head, might I suggest Immortal Beloved and Amadeus?

Yeah, I know, I'm no help whatsoever. But I try...
Old 06-02-03, 05:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 06-02-03, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you like Richard Strauss, there's an audio DVD with a nice 5.0 track:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=5967
Old 06-02-03, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Go to an online retailer and do a search for a composer under DVD's and you'll find several of them.

In addition to DVD-video titles, there are some DVD-audio discs and DTS CD's available.
Old 06-02-03, 07:42 PM

Herbert von Karajan made several "filmed" performances during the early 1980's. Many of these are being released in 5.1 on DVD. Go to Amazon and do a search on Herbert Von Karajan. Great films, exquisite performances.
Old 06-02-03, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Many nice DVD-A discs are available, if you're equipped to take advantage of them... If not, maybe it's a good time to get equipped!

Current list of DVD-A titles > http://www.highfidelityreview.com/re...dvda_title.asp

I recommend Dvorak: Symphony No.9: 'From the New World' and 'The Water Goblin' > http://www.highfidelityreview.com/re...wnumber=489473
Old 06-03-03, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think Naxos has or is coming out with a line of 5.1 titles. This maybe separate from their already extant "travel" series of discs. I do know (because I have it) a couple of Ives Symphonies were released in 5.1 by RCA (I think - am at work and can't check ).

Last edited by stingo; 06-03-03 at 12:31 PM.
Old 06-03-03, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by ordway
If you like Richard Strauss, there's an audio DVD with a nice 5.0 track:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=5967
I read your review a while back and wondered how the interpretation/performance compared with others, like Karajan or Previn. Did you feel tempos were too fast/slow/just right? I've only heard parts of Heldenleben (my favorite Strauss piece is Tod und Verklaerung so far) and was wondering if the 5.1 was preferred based on the interpretation as opposed to the audio quality.
Old 06-03-03, 01:32 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally posted by stingo
I think Naxos has or is coming out with a line of 5.1 titles. This maybe separate from their already extant "travel" series of discs. I do know (because I have it) a couple of Ives Symphonies were released in 5.1 by RCA (I think - am at work and can't check ).
Of the Naxos DVD's I only own

Italian Festival: Naxos Musical Journey

It also includes a DTS audio option as well.
Old 06-03-03, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by stingo
I read your review a while back and wondered how the interpretation/performance compared with others, like Karajan or Previn. Did you feel tempos were too fast/slow/just right? I've only heard parts of Heldenleben (my favorite Strauss piece is Tod und Verklaerung so far) and was wondering if the 5.1 was preferred based on the interpretation as opposed to the audio quality.
Richard Strauss is not one of my favorite composers (the only other work by him that I have is the Alpine Symphony) so I can't really compare the interpretation of the Odense orchestra with others. Just from my listening experience of it by itself, I enjoyed it; the tempos seemed to fit the music - not too rushed or too drawn out. The performance seemed polished and had some nice depth to it, and I did add the DVD to my own collection. Hmm, that probably wasn't all that helpful, but it's the best I can do!
Old 06-04-03, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There's an incredible dvd of Berlioz's Damnation of Faust and also a fine one of Les Troyens. I've got about a dozen of the Naxos dvd's from DVD International many which have a DTS option. They have nice performances and visuals (not of the performances,mostly scenery and historical locations/sites). Opera is where I find the dvd can really shine. If you're interested I'd highly recommend the Porgy & Bess,John Adams' El Nino,the Philips Swan Lake,Boulez's Ring Cycle(which can be had amazingly cheap). There's a very good Sibelius Violin Concerto coupled with Falla,too. There's a lot of 5.1 classical out there.