Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Any new word on a "Land of the Lost" boxed-set?

Old 05-30-03, 09:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I heard some time ago that Rhino is planning on releasing a "Land of the Lost - the complete first season" boxed set. There is no info available at the Rhino website. Anyone have any news on this? Thanks.
Old 05-31-03, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 58 Likes on 37 Posts
It's been previously posted here and on the Land of the Lost forum that plans for a boxset have been scrapped.

(...glad to have held on to my VCD set just in case)
Old 05-31-03, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
God-damn it!! WHY???
Old 05-31-03, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I remember getting up every saturday morning just hoping that these would be on. I have been dinosaur fan since I could talk andthis was THE show for me! I always loved "Grumpy." I never did figure out the whole Sleestack thingy though. I guess I was too young to understand.
Old 05-31-03, 02:19 PM

So was any reason given for the project being scrapped? I would imagine this is one of the more sought-after Saturday morning shows.
Old 05-31-03, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I love how Chaka spoke english by the second season. Peter Griffen sang the Land of the Lost theme song at an audition in one of the episodes of Family Guy, he did the dinosaur ROAR at the end too, it was hilarious!!
Old 05-31-03, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 284 Likes on 211 Posts
Last I heard the release was being delayed until the Cretaceous period.

Who knows, maybe it will be released in the Triassic. I can only cross my Allosaur hoofs.
Old 06-01-03, 01:51 PM

Originally posted by SPiRAL
I love how Chaka spoke english by the second season.
It was actually the third season - one of the reasons the third season is considered pathetic compared to the first two. Another being Enik doing a bad rip-off of Spock saying things like "That is not logical"
Old 06-01-03, 01:52 PM

Originally posted by sracer
It's been previously posted here and on the Land of the Lost forum that plans for a boxset have been scrapped.

(...glad to have held on to my VCD set just in case)
Anyone have a link to where this news was posted?
Old 06-02-03, 01:16 PM

anyone?
Old 06-02-03, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

As I said before, it was previously posted on this forum, and on Land of the Lost forum.

http://www.landofthelost.com/ubb/For...ML/000045.html
Old 06-02-03, 11:13 PM

As I said before, it was previously posted on this forum, and on Land of the Lost forum.
Yeah, I got that part, I just wanted to see the actual post(s).

I don't know that I'd completely count out a DVD boxed set at this point, from reading that post. The moderator of the website where the Land of the Lost forum is posted hasn't officially put anything up regarding this - he still has listed that a boxed set is in the works and that details are pending. www.thedigitalbits.com also had posted that the boxed set was in the works on their rumor mill page. I'm hoping that the e-mail the guy got from rhino is either erroneous or that the plans for a boxed set are still in the works.
Old 06-02-03, 11:19 PM

This is also posted at www.landofthelost.com, for what it's worth:

"Finally, Rhino has plans for a box set of Land of the Lost DVDs!

First to be released will be season one, and if sales are good, seasons two and three will follow. Right now season one is scheduled for a Fall 2003 release. Since the date is so far in the future, the release date may change, most likely sooner than later (this info is straight from Rhino).

There will be a significant amount of "extras" to be produced, and I've had discussions with Rhino about cast participation, memorabilia, etc. They will be contacting me for more information as the production date draws near.

As I hear more, you can read about it right here. Looks like all that hard work has paid off at last. You did it!"

I've still got to wonder if the boxed-set plans have really been scrapped. The guy who posted the message at the Land of the Lost forum also asked if anyone could confirm or deny the posting at Rhino and has gotten no response. Anyone know any additional details?
Old 06-03-03, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

You need to keep in mind that the site isn't regularly maintained. That "announcement" is old news and predates the post that states it has been cancelled.

Obviously, you didn't know about the Land of the Lost site. You asked for any word and I provided it. When I did, you didn't accept the answer, so you wanted to see for yourself. I found a few more links and if I was so inclined, I could provide them.

The bottom line (based on everything that I've read to-date) is that the box-set has been cancelled. I can find no link (reliable or otherwise) that post-dates the cancellation announcements indicating that the box-set is back on/still on.

But hey, if you would like to think that it is still going to be released, you are obviously free to believe that.

Last edited by sracer; 06-03-03 at 10:37 AM.
Old 06-03-03, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 896 Likes on 556 Posts
KILL THE MESSENGER!!!
Old 06-03-03, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

But hey, if you would like to think that it is still going to be released, you are obviously free to believe that.
I do believe in spooks! I do believe in spooks! I do, I do, I do believe in spooks!!
Old 06-03-03, 01:59 PM

Of course have we heard from Rhino one way or another? I mean I've always gotten the form letter response when asking about it "Thanks - no plans, but we'll take it under consideration", but never anything official anywhere.

Me - I hope it's still coming.
Old 06-03-03, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
It's been previously posted here...

As I said before, it was previously posted on this forum...
Maybe I'm wrong, but I think he was questioning this part (since it makes it look like he didn't bother looking around the board here. At least, that's the part I wondered about, since I don't remember seeing it posted on this site.

As far as people know, did they also cancel the (supposedly) planned H.R. Puffnstuf set?

Also, as I remember, Rhino never really officially said they were releasing either of these, it was more of a rumor (which they more or less always denied).

I'll search for myself, anyway, and add any relevant links on this site.

Edit: I found this post from a few months ago, which says that basically they'd never really acknowledge it: http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=231438

Last edited by Ginwen; 06-03-03 at 02:18 PM.
Old 06-04-03, 02:00 AM
Banned

http://www.landofthelost.com/ubb/For...ML/000045.html
There is forum for "The Land of the Lost"??
Old 06-04-03, 11:58 PM

Obviously, you didn't know about the Land of the Lost site. You asked for any word and I provided it. When I did, you didn't accept the answer, so you wanted to see for yourself. I found a few more links and if I was so inclined, I could provide them.

Alright, sracer, here's what you've actually provided so far:

"We don't have current plans for this release, but thanks for your input. I'll forward your letter to our suggestion box.

Dr. Rhino"

Here's the link with the same quote from this website:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showth...threadid=231438

That posting was dated 8/28/2002 by El-Kabong. It's word-for-word the same quote as that listed at the Land of the Lost forum on 3/29/03, which makes me think this guy just read that previous posting. Now pardon me if I think this info is possibly dated and/or sketchy. I do know that www.thedigitalbits.com posted this in their rumor mill:

"(EARLY UPDATE - 8/22/02)

Bits reader Johnnie Y. reports that he recently had the chance to speak with representatives of Rhino Home Video about their upcoming DVD plans. Reportedly in the works for 2003 are an H.R. Pufnstuf complete series DVD box set (planned for March release) and the entire first season of Land of the Lost (planned for Fall 2003 release), with the second season to follow a few months after that. This sure is a great time for TV fans!"

Seems strange to me that less than a week after this was posted someone else is saying the plans are canceled. And if you read the information posted by the site master for www.landofthelost.com, it sure as hell sounds like Rhino had some plans for this release in the works:

"There will be a significant amount of 'extras' to be produced, and I've had discussions with Rhino about cast participation, memorabilia, etc. They will be contacting me for more information as the production date draws near."

And this information was posted on their website recently (well after 8/2002). So again, pardon me if I think the info stating the DVD boxed sets have been canceled may not be correct.

If you do have some other links verifying that the sets have been canceled, or an official statement from Rhino, then please post the link(s) and I will stop discussing the issue.
Old 06-05-03, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ah, that weak little creature is stirring in my bowels: Hope.
Old 06-05-03, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I am certainly still hoping!