Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Nausicaa and Porco Rosso to be released by the end of the year?

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-03, 12:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"I can’t reveal my source, but I can confirm that PORCO ROSSO is underway for American release, and so is NAUSICAA, with both targeted for a release by the end of this year."
AICN
Old 05-26-03, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mmmmmm...... Nausicaa hasn't been released in Region 2 (Japan) yet. As for Porco Rosso, Susan Egan will be providing some voice work for that film.
Old 05-28-03, 11:50 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Nice
Old 05-29-03, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,205 Likes on 1,508 Posts
I couldn't wait for the US release and had to get the Japan R2 disc of Porco Rosso, so I could finally retire my old bootleg tape.

BTW apparently Miyazaki prefers the French dub track and it does feature Jean Reno as the title character (it sounds pretty good!). I'm sure that will be on the R1 disc too.
Old 05-29-03, 10:46 AM

As much as I'd like to see Nausicaa on disc, I trust news from Aint It Cool about as far as I could throw Harry Knowles. Because of the Japanese paranoia of reverse importation (the Japanese importing the vastly cheaper R1 discs) we'll not see it until the R2 version is out.

Me, I'll still get the R2 version anyway - the discs cost more than the R1 versions, but are VASTLY superior!
Old 05-29-03, 11:03 AM

Originally posted by MartyMcSuperfly
Me, I'll still get the R2 version anyway - the discs cost more than the R1 versions, but are VASTLY superior!
I'm curious, how are the R2 versions superior? I've been in Japan the last three years and have picked up all the Ghibli movies so far - but some of the extras (in English, especially) on the R1 versions sound interesting. Is the quality of audio/video better on the Japanese DVDs, or did you have something else in mind?

I'm also thinking of buying the R1 version of Spirited Away, to fix the "red" tint problem. Strangely enough, one of my friends got the Korean version for me as a gift (and he knew I already had the Japanese version - I don't get it either)

Also maybe (?) worth noting - the R1 version of Princess Mononoke was released before the Japanese R2 version. Same goes for Castle of Cagliostro (though the video quality was much better on the Japanese DVD, then again the English dub/dubtitles are much better on the US version). So anyway, sometimes the US gets these things first...
Old 05-29-03, 11:06 AM

Gotta agree with Marty. There's no way that Nausicaa will be released in the US before it's released in Japan -- unless it's the cut and dubbed US theatrical release version.
Old 05-29-03, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I dunno, I thought that the Region 1 versions were better, as far as video/audio (especially in regards to Mononoke and Spirited). I would agree that the Region 2 versions are vastly superior in packaging though. I can't remember what the extras on the Region 2's are or if they are even subtitled in English.
Old 05-29-03, 03:21 PM

Originally posted by btribble
I'm curious, how are the R2 versions superior? I've been in Japan the last three years and have picked up all the Ghibli movies so far - but some of the extras (in English, especially) on the R1 versions sound interesting. Is the quality of audio/video better on the Japanese DVDs, or did you have something else in mind?
Well, the red tint problems aside, the R2 discs are often progressive (but not always) and anamorphic. The R2 versions have more extras, if I recall correctly.

That and I'll keep buying 'em because that way my covers will all match up. That really bugs me.
Old 05-29-03, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Nausicaa and Porco Rosso to be released by the end of the year?

Originally posted by mikeporter
"I can’t reveal my source, but I can confirm that PORCO ROSSO is underway for American release
[pun]Yeah, and pigs could fly. [/pun]

Seriously, these are two fantastic movies, but there's no way they'll be out in R1 by the end of the year.
Old 05-29-03, 05:26 PM

Originally posted by darqleo
I dunno, I thought that the Region 1 versions were better, as far as video/audio (especially in regards to Mononoke and Spirited). I would agree that the Region 2 versions are vastly superior in packaging though. I can't remember what the extras on the Region 2's are or if they are even subtitled in English.
The Japanese release of Spirited Away has a much sharper image quality than the R1 release, but has the red tint issue (although I really consider that to be a bit of a storm in the proverbial teacup). The audio on the original Japanese language track is vastly superior on the Japanese release which has DTS 6.1. However, the R1 has a couple of worthwhile extras that are not on the Japanese release, especially the 40 minute "Making of" from Nippon TV - hence I own both.

As for Princess Mononoke, the Japanese release is again much better, having included both the Japanese and US versions in a three disc set.
Old 05-29-03, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by chesola
Gotta agree with Marty. There's no way that Nausicaa will be released in the US before it's released in Japan -- unless it's the cut and dubbed US theatrical release version.
YES! I'd buy Warriors of the Wind in half a heartbeat.
Old 05-29-03, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Porco Rosso - maybe.

Nausicaa? Not even in Japan yet... sigh.
Old 05-29-03, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,205 Likes on 1,508 Posts
Originally posted by MartyMcSuperfly
That and I'll keep buying 'em because that way my covers will all match up. That really bugs me.
That's why I'm getting the rest of the R2 discs too. I wish they were cheaper. Also I think the cover art is nicer looking and more elegant.
Old 09-01-03, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Any update on these titles?
Old 09-01-03, 11:42 PM
Cool New Member

Originally posted by Hiro11
Any update on these titles?
Nausicaa is coming to R2 DVD in Japan on November 18th, which makes a R1 release more plausible, as well as news that Whisper of the Heart is being dubbed as well, which would probably make it the third un-named title mentioned in the AICN report (news on both at Nausicaa.net, under August 10th and July 6th).
Old 09-02-03, 03:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This is truly some great news! I've been waiting for these titles for quite a while, now!
Old 09-02-03, 04:41 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
too bad it's news from AICN.. worse web site ever
Old 09-02-03, 06:08 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
It's cut in like... half!!!

Originally posted by PixyJunket
Yikes!
Old 09-03-03, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: In my secret underground lair, plotting to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! Bwuaaahahahaha!!
Originally posted by PixyJunket
/me slaps PixyJunket with a flounder.