Community
Search

Final Destination DVD missing disc

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-03, 11:55 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Final Destination DVD missing disc

Hey everyone, just a heads up if anyone is for some reason planning to get Final Destination any time soon. I got a sealed one from Best Buy and opened it that night, and there was no disc in it. I took it back the next day and of course I had stolen it and was told to contact the manufacturer. Neither the store or the 888 number has New Line's info. So just a warning, and if anyone happens to have contact info for New Line Home Entertainment, I'd appreciate a post. Thanks.
Old 05-25-03, 11:59 AM

I would have immediately asked for the store manager. That is a customer service issue that should have been solved on the spot in that store. I've had that happen 2 times (although it was with multidisc sets missing one).... and they always exchanged it at BestBuy, no questions asked. Go back... immediately... and ask for the store manager.
Old 05-25-03, 01:07 PM
Cool New Member

Thanks for the advice, but it the store manager was there herself backing up the clerk. Maybe I'll send the case and reciept to you? My local Best Buy is notorious for this, I usually go to another one but I didn't have time this weekend and wanted to use the Preferred Customer coupon. Thanks anyway tho.
Old 05-25-03, 11:13 PM
Banned

Originally posted by BruteUA
Thanks for the advice, but it the store manager was there herself backing up the clerk. Maybe I'll send the case and reciept to you? My local Best Buy is notorious for this, I usually go to another one but I didn't have time this weekend and wanted to use the Preferred Customer coupon. Thanks anyway tho.
Ok, the next step is to, right there at the counter, call the BEST BUY customer service line and go over the manager's head.

Raise a HUGE stink and they will cave in and do what they should have done in the first place....

It's a sad state of affairs, but in a lot of these places, there is no CUSTOMER in customer service and you do have to be VERY forceful....
Old 05-25-03, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Once I bought Suburban Commando from Best Buy and it turned out to be a floater (found it for $10 and forgot to shake!!). When I tried to return it they said normally they’d replace it but since the disc was not damaged they could only replace it with an identical title. And they had NO Suburban Commando left. And they said they can’t replace it with another title even if it’s more expensive!! So I was stuck with a broken White case. Now I can’t find a White replacement case for it
Old 05-26-03, 03:48 AM
Suspended

I wouldn't have believed you either, so don't get pissed over the bad service. To prevent such incidents from happening in the future, rip the shrink wrap wide open in front of the check out girl/boy to inspect for "stolen" disc. That way they won't call you a thieft. Of course, you can always take the alternative route and get a very very hot chick in low top and high mini to return the empty DVD case for you...

Bum: Ummm... so I got home and opened the case and it was empty.
Manager: Uhhh... mmmmmmkaaaaaaaaaay. Security!!!!
Old 05-26-03, 04:51 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
I'm missing something. Why would a thief come back and tell a story about a missing disc when he has the damn case with him. If anything, a thief is going to come back with a receipt and NO CASE OR DVD DISC, and say, "Oh my God! I seemed to have lost my movie--and the case! Can I get another one?"

Leave it to Best Buy to be the HOMELAND SECURITY of DVD movies.

That's why I buy most stuff with a card. DISPUTE THE MFer.
Old 05-26-03, 11:39 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Class316
Once I bought Suburban Commando from Best Buy and it turned out to be a floater (found it for $10 and forgot to shake!!). When I tried to return it they said normally they’d replace it but since the disc was not damaged they could only replace it with an identical title. And they had NO Suburban Commando left. And they said they can’t replace it with another title even if it’s more expensive!! So I was stuck with a broken White case. Now I can’t find a White replacement case for it
Hmm... So by their logic, if you buy a tv and the outside case is cracked or broken, but the tv itself still works, you couldn't get a replacement or refund...? The disc (doesn't matter if it's JUST the case) is damaged. Jeeze, what kind of Mickey Mouse operation is BEST BUY? "Best NOT Buy".....
Old 05-26-03, 11:47 PM
Banned

Originally posted by FuzzyBallz
I wouldn't have believed you either, so don't get pissed over the bad service. To prevent such incidents from happening in the future, rip the shrink wrap wide open in front of the check out girl/boy to inspect for "stolen" disc. That way they won't call you a thieft. Of course, you can always take the alternative route and get a very very hot chick in low top and high mini to return the empty DVD case for you...

Bum: Ummm... so I got home and opened the case and it was empty.
Manager: Uhhh... mmmmmmkaaaaaaaaaay. Security!!!!
Have you ever heard of the saying 'the customer is always right'?

Ripping open your DVDs in front of a salesperson when you buy them is a great idea, especially when you've bought 15 or 20...

The fact remains that Best Buy sold the product and it's up to them to make it right. Rest ASSURED, that if this happened to me, they WOULD make it right!

I still say to call the customer service number and give them hell. Believe it, when all else fails, THAT works....
Old 05-27-03, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I had a problem returning a cracked disc to them before and they said that I must have cracked it. I started to raise my voice and complain about their crappy service and asked for the Manager. Same thing happened and I continued to talk with a louder voice and they finally just caved in and gave me a replacement before things got ugly. It was so silly of them to argue over something so stupid. Good luck on getting a replacement!
Old 05-27-03, 02:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The solution to Best Buy's crappy service is take your business elsewhere. The first time a store treats me so poorly I vow to never return.
Old 05-27-03, 02:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts
Originally posted by SergeantPinback
Have you ever heard of the saying 'the customer is always right'?

Ripping open your DVDs in front of a salesperson when you buy them is a great idea, especially when you've bought 15 or 20...
Yeah, I want to be waiting in that checkout line.

You know, standing there for ten minutes while everyone opens every single DVD and CD they bought.
Old 05-27-03, 04:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 212 Likes on 185 Posts
When "EARTHWORM JIM 2" came out on the SEGA SATURN, I picked it up at BB... I forgot to open it in the car, so when I was at home I opened it and yep no disc. I called them up and told them what happened and they said, "OK just come back and we will give u another one"... that's it no problem.

that sucks what happen to U... sometimes MANAGERS think that they are the AUTHORITY and can be A-holes... RAISE THEM HELL!
Old 05-27-03, 05:10 AM
Banned

Originally posted by namlook
The solution to Best Buy's crappy service is take your business elsewhere. The first time a store treats me so poorly I vow to never return.
Absolutely!!!

But, you should also take a few minutes to either call the customer service line or, better yet, send off a letter to their corporate office. If your letter is professional and you provide details (date, location, name of manager, etc), you might be surprised at the results you get. I've done it before, (not with Best Buy), and believe me, they DO care....
Old 05-27-03, 05:13 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Josh-da-man
Yeah, I want to be waiting in that checkout line.

You know, standing there for ten minutes while everyone opens every single DVD and CD they bought.
Old 05-27-03, 05:17 AM
Suspended

Customer: I want my replacement DVD and I want it now!!!!
BB Manager: I'm the manager, and you will respect my authorattaaa. Screw the security, I'm calling the cops.
Cop: What seems to be the problem here.
BB Manager: Officer, we got a clown here who stole a copy of Yani Live DVD and tried to run out of the store when one of our associates caught him.
Cop: Petty theft I see. Ok buster, you're gonna get a ride to the station in the back of my cruiser.
Customer: What? That ain't true...
*Cop whacks customer w/ stick in the chops.
Cop: I'm a cop and you will respect my authorataaaaaa.
BB Manager: That's right punk, don't let me see you again, 'cause I'm gonna bust your face wide open.
Old 05-27-03, 05:36 AM
Banned

Originally posted by FuzzyBallz
Customer: I want my replacement DVD and I want it now!!!!
BB Manager: I'm the manager, and you will respect my authorattaaa. Screw the security, I'm calling the cops.
Cop: What seems to be the problem here.
BB Manager: Officer, we got a clown here who stole a copy of Yani Live DVD and tried to run out of the store when one of our associates caught him.
Cop: Petty theft I see. Ok buster, you're gonna get a ride to the station in the back of my cruiser.
Customer: What? That ain't true...
*Cop whacks customer w/ stick in the chops.
Cop: I'm a cop and you will respect my authorataaaaaa.
BB Manager: That's right punk, don't let me see you again, 'cause I'm gonna bust your face wide open.
Next day....................

*Customer bails out of jail. Waits for BB manager to go to his car that evening.
Customer: Now you'll respect MY authority! (pulling out a gun)
BB manager: Huh? (fudging his shorts)
Customer: Rest in peace, DIP$&*@! (BANG!)

And now, back to the REAL world...........

Funny, but you CANNOT be serious!!!

Actually, in the real world, if something even close to what you described happened, the customer would have a major lawsuit against Best Buy and would probably end up with that manager working for him for the rest of his life.......
Old 05-27-03, 08:29 AM

This happened to me when I bought the Metallica CD/DVD (Live S**t...). I bought it at BB, opened it about a week later, only to realize that 1 of the 3 discs was missing.

Took it back up to BB the next day and they said that it wasn't their problem - I had to contact the manufacturer (Elektra, I think). I said that was B.S. and that it came like that. I had no problem if they simply gave me the missing disc out of another one, opened a brand new package and gave me all 3, whatever. I just wanted that missing disc.

After talking for a while, the manager realized that I was a "regular" in the store and decided to make an exception for me. He stoodby his employee, saying that she did the right thing. He said that in the future, if I ever had the same problem, I would have to bring the discs/package back up to BB that same day.

What if I had bought this as a gift for someone? Would I have to open it right there to make sure it was OK before wrapping it up and giving someone an opened package?

Oh, well, I wasn't about to argue that point. I was happy I finally got my missing disc and considered it a lesson learned (I guess).
Old 06-01-03, 11:41 PM

It's a pretty well known fact that Bestbuy has one of the worst customer service policy in the industry. I had two horrible experiences with them and to think that I learned the lesson the first time: (1) I purchased Sum of All Fears on DVD. The case was broken along the seams and the retaining hub was broken. DVD had a million scratches so I returned it to Bestbuy. I was told by the rep and later her manager that they don't return this for "insignificant reasons" like this. Apparently a few pixelizations here and there doesn't matter as long as it still plays. (2) Purchased Star Trek III and didn't open it for a month. Disk 2 was totally dead. I attempted to return it on day 31 which is one day after their return policy and they absolutely refused to make any exceptions. I then took it over to Circuit City and explained to them the situation and they exchanged it knowing it wasn't even purchased there.

Now you know where I shop nowadays. Besides the lines at the customer service counter is a lot shorter than at bestbuy. The average wait time to return stuff at Bestbuy is usually 15-20 minutes.

I guess the moral of the story is to shop at a store that values there customers, or open all your DVDs in front of the clerk, but then again they'll probablky accuse you of using sleight of hand techniques to take the disk out right in front of them.
Old 06-01-03, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

"Disk 2 was totally dead. I attempted to return it on day 31 which is one day after their return policy and they absolutely refused to make any exceptions. I then took it over to Circuit City and explained to them the situation and they exchanged it knowing it wasn't even purchased there. "
It's amazing how braindead some stores are when it comes to customer service. Circuit City made a new customer and Best Buy lost one. How many times has this been repeated with other customers. It all adds up and eventually the store with the bad service will lose big bucks because of how they treat customers.
Old 06-02-03, 01:24 AM

What I always do with single dvd movies is tap the back of each dvd I buy & listen for a metallic clank, after Ive shaken it to see if disc is on the hub. After a while you will kow what to listen for. If someone looks at you weird...dont be shy....its your money and not theirs or any f-face employees concern.
Old 06-02-03, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Like I've always said "Best Buy / Worst Service"
Old 06-02-03, 12:57 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Next time this happens to someone, say with a straight face, "I purchased the one disc edition, and this appears to be the zero disc edition. I'd appreciate a replacement."