Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Would you support the LD format if it ever made a comeback?

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-03, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts

I never thought that they would make LP's again and they are.What about laserdiscs?The only way it would work would be If a company like Elite would get exclusive horror titles for LD only.
Old 05-21-03, 07:50 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If it was in the same format as it was when it left... large storage media, high prices... then that'd be a no.
Old 05-21-03, 07:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't know much about laserdisc, but one reason LP's are hanging around is because a well made vinyl record will sound better than a CD any day of the week.
Old 05-21-03, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There's a major difference - they never stopped making LPs. They HAVE stopped making LDs.
Old 05-21-03, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

No, I wouldn't. Price is way too steep compared to todays DVDs and size is a disadvantage as well.
Old 05-21-03, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'll support LDs as much as I'd support 8 track tapes.
Old 05-21-03, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

They'd have to pay me to take them off their hands and supply the player for free. Even then, I'd just sell on...
Old 05-21-03, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Why take a giant leap BACK? Is there a single advantage that LD has over DVD as a format?
Old 05-21-03, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by marty888
Is there a single advantage that LD has over DVD as a format?
Star Wars, original versions.
Old 05-21-03, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I saw my first LD in a class today, and I was amazed at what a pain in the neck it was to have to switch sides every 45 or so minutes. I am so glad to be collecting in the time of DVD so I don't have to deal with multi-disc LDs for long movies. Can you imagine the length of any of the LOTR:EE on the LD format?

So, from my one experience, I say good riddance.
Old 05-21-03, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Squirrel God
Star Wars, original versions.
Old 05-21-03, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: In my secret underground lair, plotting to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! Bwuaaahahahaha!!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why take a giant leap BACK? Is there a single advantage that LD has over DVD as a format?
Analog video instead of digital, so there are no compression artifacts, pixellation, etc.

Large cover art and inserts, including some gorgeous box sets.
Old 05-21-03, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,308 Likes on 952 Posts
While there are several things I liked about LD, I wouldn't support the format if it made a comeback. They got enough of my money already
Old 05-21-03, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've been into Laserdiscs since '85, I managed to amass a fairly sizable collection.

I'd support it now as much as I did in it's last two years.

Only certain releases that interested me were purchased usually along with the DVD release of the same title (except the DTS stuff, of course):

Blade DTS
Lost In Space DTS
The Matrix (Just because it's cool)
Deep Blue Sea (I liked it!)

and a few others.....

plus the 2 tail enders:

Sleepy Hollow and the appropriately titled Bringing Out The Dead, the very last movie released on LD in the US.

I still buy lasers and would consider a new release if the price was right. (but it's not going to happen)
Old 05-21-03, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
of course- you can put in a LD, select a chapter and actually GO right to it. No having to sit through FBI warnings, intro screens, animated menus, etc.

-jason
Old 05-21-03, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
While I'm not blind to the fact that DVD is a superior format in nearly all respects, LD did -- in fact -- have several advantages over DVD.

One being the lack of audio and video compression. There are several DVD releases that are ruined by terrible video compression where the LD counterpart (from the same source/transfer) is gorgeous. And there are more than a few LDs that sound significantly better than their DVD bretheren.

Selection is another advantage (although not exactly a feature of the format itself). Even with an obscenely large DVD collection, my LD player and several hundred LDs still get regular use. I can't imagine any true movie/home theater buff being completely happy without one.

Additionally, the 'niche' aspect of the LD format made bootlegs a non-issue. You can buy a LD off eBay without even thinking twice about whether or not it is 'genuine'. Unfortunately, that is getting more and more difficult with DVD. I have to triple check listings and then read through pages of user feedback before I feel comfortable placing a bid.

In answer to the question of the thread... no, I don't see anyone really supporting an LD format comeback. I love LDs more than just about anyone, but the format had it's 20 years and it's time to move on. DVD has eclipsed it in nearly every respect, although I still love to hunt for used LDs and get a twinge of nostalgia every time I spin one up...
Old 05-21-03, 11:14 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Mr. Kite!
I don't know much about laserdisc, but one reason LP's are hanging around is because a well made vinyl record will sound better than a CD any day of the week.
Old 05-21-03, 11:14 PM
Rest in Peace

No I got about $23,500 plus postage in plastic DVDs, not counting 5 DVD players. Most importantly I don't have the room to support such big discs, 1,300 I wouldn't have any room for my wheelchair I would get stuck. LOL
Old 05-21-03, 11:19 PM
Banned

Ah................................................. Nuh...

I can't believe how much I paid for some of the LDs I used to own. $100 for DAWN OF THE DEAD: SPECIAL CAV EDITION. And now people complain when a DVD costs more than $18......
Old 05-21-03, 11:27 PM
Banned

Originally posted by littlefuzzy
Analog video instead of digital, so there are no compression artifacts, pixellation, etc.

Large cover art and inserts, including some gorgeous box sets.
Yes but there is popping and video drop-outs with LD. Unless you keep those LDs perfectly clean and don't get any scratches at all on them, (even little ones). Good luck. I never had a perfect LD in my collection.

The problems you mentioned vary from disc to disc, and will probably be an issue until we get HD DVDs. However, I think the picture of a DVD beats an LD hands down, expecially on a WS TV in anamorphic.
Old 05-21-03, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I started collecting movies in the DVD age, so I'm not too familiar with laser discs (except for the fact that there's some damn good Criterion ones out that aren't on DVD!!!)...

How much did laser discs cost? How about the players?

Thanks!
Old 05-21-03, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Only thing I would be in favor for is releasing new players, not discs.
Old 05-22-03, 12:06 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Tarantino
I started collecting movies in the DVD age, so I'm not too familiar with laser discs (except for the fact that there's some damn good Criterion ones out that aren't on DVD!!!)...

How much did laser discs cost? How about the players?

Thanks!
Welp...... Special edition LD sets ranged from about $70 to $120 (for extras you get on most DVDs that cost $15 to $20). The biggest one in my collection was STAR WARS: THE DEFINITIVE COLLECTION. All three films in CAV format, interviews, trailers, scene specific commentary and a large hardbound book "The Creative Impulse" all in a big black case. $249.99 + tax.....

A 'bare bones' LD might go for between $20 to $40. I had MAYBE two LDs in my collection that were about $20. One was TOY STORY - 'bare bones'....

LDs do hold a special place in my memory. This was the format that introduced me to commentaries. The first one I ever viewed was ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK with a commentary by John Carpenter & Kurt Russel. It was a big deal at the time.....
Old 05-22-03, 01:34 AM

I was a laserdisc fanatic for years. The only thing I really miss is the big cover art and fold-out insides. BTW, I've got a feeling I'm gonna be VERY happy I kept my original non-SE Star Wars discs around.
Old 05-22-03, 02:20 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by littlefuzzy
Of course, analog video has its own set of issues. I'll take even an average DVD transfer over an above-average LD transfer any day.

DJ

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.