Artisan declines extra features

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-03, 04:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just heard firsthand from Arthur Borman, the director of "And God Spoke", that Artisan will be releasing the DVD without any special features--despite the fact that the director himself offered them.

I think it's a shame that this is happening, this film deserves much better, especially if the director himself is making an effort to make the DVD all it can be.

It's great that this hilarious mockumentary is finally coming to DVD, and Artisan is to be applauded for that. But I think it's really unfortunate they've declined the extras.

Of course, anyone interested in contacting Artisan (politely, please) about this may do so:

ARTISAN ENTERTAINMENT
2700 Colorado Avenue
Santa Monica, California 90404
Fax: 310-255-3940
Glenn Ross, [email protected] (Executive VP)
Jed Grossman, [email protected] (Executive VP)
Tim Fournier, [email protected] (Executive VP)
Bob Denton, [email protected] (Executive VP)
Old 05-21-03, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I seem to be a contrarian when it comes to extras. If you were to ask me, I always like them and want them included in every disc. But in actual usage, I usually check them out briefly and then forget about them. I don't think I've taken one of those super deluxe SE's and checked out every feature. Usually the trailer, featurette, cast & crew and portions of the commentary and then I'm done. If they're missing I wish they were there, but rarely check them all out when they are present.
Old 05-21-03, 04:21 PM

I love the extras myself. Particularly in cases like this film, which was a fairly low budget independent one. I think it would be interesting and informative to hear how the film became a reality, what hurdles were overcome, what the actors were like to work with, and to see behind the scenes footage. It's not like "Bringing Down The House" or some other such mainstream schlock where there's no real story to tell, and everything was done just for profit with whatever budget was "needed".
Old 05-21-03, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just finished watching 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea and all the extras (except the commentary). I don't even know how to express how awesome the extras added to my experience of the movie. I have really come to appreciate them when they are done right.
Old 05-21-03, 07:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yup. For me, it's a simple fact, no extras = no sale.

There's a million movies out there. I can't buy them all, so there has to be some objective criteria to weed out those not worth purchasing. No extras makes the selection process extremely easy.

This applies to rentals as well. I can't rent everything, so when choosing, I'll pick the one with extras over the bare version.
Old 05-21-03, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally posted by Feathers McGraw

There's a million movies out there. I can't buy them all, so there has to be some objective criteria to weed out those not worth purchasing. No extras makes the selection process extremely easy.

This applies to rentals as well. I can't rent everything, so when choosing, I'll pick the one with extras over the bare version.
That's fine. I'm hoping that your first and most important criteria is that the movie is special ...
Old 05-21-03, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I do find it disturbing that Artisan was given full cooperation with what seems to be enthusiasm, and that they rejected it. I will say that I would not buy this disc for that reason alone.
Old 05-21-03, 09:43 PM

Is this the movie where they are chronicling the making of "The Bible Movie"? And they have Lou Ferrigno and Andy Dick playing Cain and Abel? If so, this movie is hilarious. I haven't seen it in so long.
Old 05-21-03, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by MurraySiskind
Is this the movie where they are chronicling the making of "The Bible Movie"? And they have Lou Ferrigno and Andy Dick playing Cain and Abel? If so, this movie is hilarious. I haven't seen it in so long.
Yep, that's it.

And don't forget Soupy Sales as Moses.

jim
Old 05-21-03, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i remember this movie, somewhat funny, can't really remember though. i guess artisan doesn't think this will sell well enough to add any extras?
Old 05-22-03, 06:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I'm guessing that they're just too cheap. Maybe having the extras on there would be the difference in making dual-layer discs instead of single-layer, or even extra discs if it could have been a two-disc set. Maybe they just feel that the title won't sell well enough to warrant the extra production costs. It's a shame, but that's business.
Old 05-22-03, 10:11 AM

Originally posted by Feathers McGraw

So if it is between say a Pauly Shore or Carrot Top film with directors commentary and a deleted scene versus an extraless Kubrick or Scorsese film, you will go with the Pauly Shore film?

90% of the extras on discs are worthless. Things you'll watch once, never to watch again. But the film is what is important.
Old 05-22-03, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

you have got to wonder why they rejected the extras...anyone know? out of my 6 or so artisan dvds, only made and glen garry glenross have worthy extras. i think they're kinda like paramount in that they don't put too much interest in extras to sell their product. i think they know it'll sell no matter what and that if it does well then maybe they'll do an SE.
Old 05-22-03, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So if it is between say a Pauly Shore or Carrot Top film with directors commentary and a deleted scene versus an extraless Kubrick or Scorsese film, you will go with the Pauly Shore film?
He said he wouldn't buy a DVD that didn't have extras. He did not say that he would indiscriminately purchase all DVDs that do have extras. Fortunately, many great films also have loaded special edition DVDs (cf. Criterion), so you don't have to sacrifice quality for quantity.

90% of the extras on discs are worthless. Things you'll watch once, never to watch again. But the film is what is important.
If you watch them even once, then they are not quite worthless, are they? Maybe you can explain to me why owning a disc that contains a film you like is "important," but owning documentaries, commentaries, and other informative extras about said film is "worthless."

In a statement I hope never to repeat, I agree with Feathers McGraw.
Old 05-22-03, 12:33 PM

Originally posted by illennium

If you watch them even once, then they are not quite worthless, are they? Maybe you can explain to me why owning a disc that contains a film you like is "important," but owning documentaries, commentaries, and other informative extras about said film is "worthless."
Most of the time, when you are done watching you may not even think the extra was worth the time it took you to watch.

Of the hundreds of DVDs I have watched, only a couple times were there extras I would watch more than once. For the most part, they are just things to get you to buy the DVD, then realize you don't care about them and only really care about the fim.