Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Raising Arizona SE?

Raising Arizona SE?

Old 05-19-03, 05:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Raising Arizona SE?

IS there any chance of a Raising Arizona SE in the near future? Sorry if this has been posted before, but I was just wondering...
Old 05-19-03, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Probally since "Miller's Crossing" and "Barton Fink" are getting released Tuesday. Plus I heard of a Fargo SE, so a Raising Arizona SE is not to far in the future. By the end of the year you'll at least hear something about one.
Old 05-19-03, 09:41 PM
Banned

I doubt it. If Fox was going to do a "Raising Arizona" SE it would have made sense to release it to coincide with "Barton Fink" and "Miller's Crossing" but since they opted not to do that, I'd guess they don't have any plans to do so in the future. If the extras on "Barton Fink" and "Miller's Crossing" are any indication, a "Raising Arizona" SE wouldn't be all that impressive, although an anamorphic transfer would be nice. In any case, don't hold your breath.
Old 05-19-03, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by GuruAskew
If the extras on "Barton Fink" and "Miller's Crossing" are any indication, a "Raising Arizona" SE wouldn't be all that impressive, although an anamorphic transfer would be nice.
Extras, schmextras... The Coens seem to share my POV on this. A new anamorphic transfer is all that I require... So, yeah, I'd love to see a new disc... Dunno what the skinny is with this title, I just know that it won't be in my collection until it's re-released with a new anamorphic transfer.
Old 05-20-03, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Fox said a while back they were working on one.
Old 05-20-03, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by badlieut
Fox said a while back they were working on one.
Cool. I've put off buying this for a long time because of no animorphic transfer. I am also of the opinion that extras, cool as they may be, are not all that important to me. I usually don't even watch them except for commentaries.
Old 05-20-03, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 67 Likes on 59 Posts
I'd REALLY like a new anamorphic SE of this one, but I'll I've heard is rumors for quite some time now. I don't think that just because they did Miller's Crossing and Barton Fink that they'd automatically have to do Raising Arizona and Fargo at the same time or not at all, so I'm still holding out hope.
Old 05-20-03, 02:31 PM
Banned

Fox doesn't own "Fargo", MGM does. Fox only owns "Raising Arizona", "Miller's Crossing" and "Barton Fink". And no, Fox never said they were working on a new "Raising Arizona". thedigitalbits.com reported in their "rumor mill" that a new "RA", "MC" and "BF" would be released simultaneously, which obviously isn't happening. "Miller's Crossing" and "Barton Fink" are being released today but there's absolutely no sign of a new "Raising Arizona" disc whatsoever at this point.
Old 05-20-03, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I am 99% certain Mr. Staddon said a Raising Arizona SE was in the works.
Old 04-08-04, 11:36 PM

dredging up old posts is fun.

i was wandering around walmart and best buy recently looking for this, but it was nowhere to be found. i see it can be ordered online, but $14 for a non-anamorphic disc is a bit steep.

my question is: any news on an se? is there another region disc that may have a good anamorphic transfer? i don't care about extras, just give me the best presentation possible!
Old 04-09-04, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you look at the last HTF Chat transcript (1-12-04), Straddon says the following about it:

"No plans for a Raising Arizona SE."
Old 04-09-04, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,272 Likes on 927 Posts
I've put off buying in the hopes that a nice SE would be done.

It's my fav Coen Bros movie... followed closely by Fargo... and that one just got a nice little re-release (Plus I got the VHS version of Fargo with the little snow globe!) I wanna give Raising Arizona some much needed love
Old 04-09-04, 05:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'd love to see a Rasing Arizona SE, but I kind of doubt it. THe only Coen flick that really got a special edition was Fargo, and that special edition was only moderately special. I'm sure if they do release more SE Coen flicks, it will be the more popular ones like O Brother and The Big Lebowski. Still, I'd get an SE of Arizona in a second.
Old 04-09-04, 08:29 AM

Originally posted by malkmuz
is there another region disc that may have a good anamorphic transfer? i don't care about extras, just give me the best presentation possible!
The Region 2 and 4 Discs are anamorphic !

Take a look at this review: http://www.michaeldvd.com.au/Reviews...p?ReviewID=758
Old 04-09-04, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I would seriously doubt a SE coming for RA.

Reason being, as stated above, Fargo is the only one. Even their most recent release, Intolerable Cruelty has very little, and Big Lebowski is next to minimal.

But, if it ever does come, I will be there to pick it up!
Old 04-09-04, 11:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hear they are going to re-release all of the Coen Brothers movies as a Criterion Collection Box Set!

Okay, so I can dream at least.

I agree though, it would be sweet if they came out with a Raising Arizona SE but I doubt that they will.
Old 04-09-04, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 225 Likes on 154 Posts
R3 Korean disc is anamorphic and ntsc.
Old 04-11-04, 08:11 AM

well, my girlfriend just got me the r1 because i wouldn't shut up about wanting to watch it... the pq is pretty shoddy, but you can't win 'em all i guess.

i will keep an eye out for the korean disc, though.
Old 04-13-04, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
I've always been surprised that filmmakers like the Coen brothers really haven't embraced DVD more.
Old 04-13-04, 03:39 PM

From the recent (January 12) HTF chat with Peter Staddon of Fox:
{Brandon_Conway} Hey there, Peter! I'm curious about a few more contemporary titles: the Cocoon films, The Chase (1994), and a possible SE of Raising Arizona. Thanks.

{peterstaddon} Hi Brad, both Cocoon films will be out shortly, they look great and the packaging is fantastic, the Chase will also be out this year. No plans for a Raising Arizona SE.