Advanced Notice of DVDs Going OOP?

Old 05-15-03, 04:10 PM

Advanced Notice of DVDs Going OOP?

Please forgive me if this has been asked before. I searched the forums but did not find this information.

Do manufacturers give advanced notice when disks are going out of production?

Is there a listing anywhere of disks that are soon to be OOP?
Old 05-15-03, 06:48 PM

Bear in mind that "Out of Print" does not mean "Impossible to Find." It just means that the manufacturer isn't filling new orders for the item.

Often a DVD will be easy to find in stores for months or years after it technically goes out of print.

Some companies give advance notice of a disc going OOP; some do not. (Disney in particular tries to scare folks into rushing off to buy their DVDs by announcing they're going to go OOP.)
Old 05-15-03, 11:56 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Isn't "Saving Private Ryan" technically OOP? Yeah, it's a limited edition - they only made a hundred million of them.

If I really want a title I'll usually order it the day I hear it's going out of print - that way I'm sure to get a copy.

I just refuse to pay those Ebay prices for OOP discs. It's ridiculous.

-- Jough, who doesn't mind SELLING his OOP discs for ridiculously high prices on Ebay...
Old 05-16-03, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by jough
If I really want a title I'll usually order it the day I hear it's going out of print - that way I'm sure to get a copy.
Depending on how soon you hear it's going OOP, this doesn't guarantee you getting it.

I tried to get M. Hulot's Holiday the day I heard about it going OOP (about 2 days after it was announced here), and I was stuck with going to eBay and paying like $65 for it.
Old 05-16-03, 01:14 AM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
I tend to follow DVD news every day, so I usually snag the titles I want early. I don't stockpile to sell later.

-- Jough