Community
Search

Is there a market for Fullscreen disks?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-03, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is there a market for Fullscreen disks?

I mean just the disks, nothing else. I think I have a few titles that came with 2 separate DVDs, WS on one side, and FS on the other. God knows I'll never touch the FS one. Has anyone tried selling JUST the FS reservior dogs or Terminator 2 DVDs (those are the 2 most popular ones that did it, I believe)?

Hopefully the trend of separating disks will continue. I'm only 21 and already I need a magnifying glass on those 2 sided DVDs.
Old 05-14-03, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This thread is going to get ugly. Fast.
Old 05-15-03, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Another question I just thought about on the subject... would there be a licening issue with selling just the FS disc?

Common sense would tell me "of course not... you bought it, so you can sell it".

But then again, I would think that the studios might put a restriction on such distribution to keep stores from selling the titles seperately.

Perhaps a stupid point. Perhaps not.
Old 05-15-03, 12:22 AM

lol! i bought the fullscreen version of Harry Potter 2 but only because i had no choice. sold it at the video game store 2 weeks after only to find out this store will buy it for 7 bucks canadian.
Old 05-15-03, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by tinlunlau
lol! i bought the fullscreen version of Harry Potter 2 but only because i had no choice. sold it at the video game store 2 weeks after only to find out this store will buy it for 7 bucks canadian.
You always have a choice. Don't buy it.
Old 05-15-03, 01:05 AM
Rest in Peace

If you want movies like Stephen King's Rose Red which comes as a 2 disc set, or ANY movie below 1953 is industry standard

Here is what you do I have several sony CX-875P 300 + 1 Progressive Scan that I *lock* in full, including my HDTV in full and the discs doesn't show any fat faces.

There are myriad amounts of cheap companies that won't do OAR like "Jade" 1995, so I lock in full and have a non stretched P & S but it fills the entire 16 X 9 screen top to bottom and sides.

There are workarounds and I am forever looking for them.
Old 05-15-03, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

There's a market for everything on ebay. I've always wondered if this mentality influenced the studios' decision to include 2 discs or just one double-sided disc for the WS/FS versions.
Old 05-15-03, 01:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by tinlunlau

I bought the fullscreen version of Harry Potter 2 because I hate 2.35:1
Old 05-15-03, 01:34 AM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
GMLSKIS,

Are you joking? Why do you hate an aspect ratio? Why would you want the hack-job that is the FS transfer of this disc?

I saw it playing in a video store. The Pan & Scan looks particularly bad - not quite as bad as LOTR, but almost.

You could *try* to sell just the disc on Ebay. You could probably get upwards of $5.00 for it.

Whatever you do, don't print out the cover and sell it with the disc. THAT'S where you could get into legal trouble.

-- Jough
Old 05-15-03, 01:35 AM

GML:
P. T. would love you. There's one born every minute. ROFLMAO.

Skip
Old 05-15-03, 03:48 AM

Originally posted by waskydiver
Another question I just thought about on the subject... would there be a licening issue with selling just the FS disc?

Common sense would tell me "of course not... you bought it, so you can sell it".

But then again, I would think that the studios might put a restriction on such distribution to keep stores from selling the titles seperately.

Perhaps a stupid point. Perhaps not.
That common sense "you bought it, so you can sell it" is actually the law in the United States. The so-called First Sale Doctrine of copyright law allows a person who legally purchases a copy of a copyrighted work to sell that copy if they wish.

DJ
Old 05-15-03, 06:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by djtoell
That common sense "you bought it, so you can sell it" is actually the law in the United States. The so-called First Sale Doctrine of copyright law allows a person who legally purchases a copy of a copyrighted work to sell that copy if they wish.

DJ
Strictly, that only holds true for media if you transfer the complete package including all original discs, manuals, paperwork, packaging, etc and destroy anything that is not sold. You are not legally allowed to split 1 license into two, as that basically constitutes copyright infringement.
Old 05-15-03, 11:12 AM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Blockbuster does not sell the original packaging or inserts when they sell used... I mean, previously viewed, discs.

I've seen incomplete items sold before. You could sell just the insert, if you wanted. There's nothing in the law saying that you cannot sell the pieces of an item seperately.

-- Jough
Old 05-15-03, 12:54 PM

use for FS discs??

Skeet Shooting??
Old 05-15-03, 01:13 PM

Originally posted by BigPete
Strictly, that only holds true for media if you transfer the complete package including all original discs, manuals, paperwork, packaging, etc and destroy anything that is not sold. You are not legally allowed to split 1 license into two, as that basically constitutes copyright infringement.
Sorry, but that isn't true. While this may hold true for some computer software sold subject to lengthy shrinkwrap licenses, DVDs are not sold subject to licenses (despite the pointless FBI warnings) that have those requirements. You can split up the discs, remove the inserts, and sell whatever you like however you like. You can also split up multi-CD sets, multi-book sets, and various other copyrighted works, and sell them individually as you please.

As the codification of the First Sale Doctrine states: "[T]he owner of a particular copy or phonorecord lawfully made under this title, or any person authorized by such owner, is entitled, without the authority of the copyright owner, to sell or otherwise dispose of the possession of that copy or phonorecord..." 17 USC § 109. There is no requirement in the law about maintaining inserts or not splitting up multiple discs sold together.

DJ

Last edited by djtoell; 05-15-03 at 01:17 PM.
Old 05-15-03, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Londo
use for FS discs??

Skeet Shooting??
could make for good coasters too.
Old 05-15-03, 02:03 PM

The only market for fullscreen discs is anyone who wants 1.33:1 films in their original aspect ratio...ONLY!

For the love of God, people. Original aspect ratio at the very least, the director's preferred aspect ratio at best. There should be NO OTHER OPTION!!!!! People want to complain about having a choice. They have one. If they don't like the aspect ratio they could simply not buy!!!! Grrrrrr....
Old 05-15-03, 02:03 PM
Suspended - needs to provide a working email

Originally posted by jough
Blockbuster does not sell the original packaging or inserts when they sell used... I mean, previously viewed, discs.
- Jough
My Blockbuster sells previously viewed DVDs in their original cases with all the original cover art and inserts.
Old 05-15-03, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think the packaging and inserts is much different then the actual movie.

When you buy a movie that has 2 DVD's -- one fullscreen and one widescreen, you are only buying ONE movie, in which you can watch one or the other at any time.

This is all speculation, but my gut is telling me that you cannot legally sell the fullscreen version and keep the widescreen version, because you are only licensed one copy of the film.

If I buy some software that has both PC and Mac installations, I cannot sell the Mac installation and keep the PC installation.
Old 05-15-03, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Painkiller
The only market for fullscreen discs is anyone who wants 1.33:1 films in their original aspect ratio...ONLY!

For the love of God, people. Original aspect ratio at the very least, the director's preferred aspect ratio at best. There should be NO OTHER OPTION!!!!! People want to complain about having a choice. They have one. If they don't like the aspect ratio they could simply not buy!!!! Grrrrrr....
I disagree. There seems to be a huge market of idiots who prefer "No Black Bars!". If I only like to eat bread crust, and someone else only likes the inside of the bread, whats to stop us from sharing?
Old 05-15-03, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by RoQuEr
I disagree. There seems to be a huge market of idiots who prefer "No Black Bars!". If I only like to eat bread crust, and someone else only likes the inside of the bread, whats to stop us from sharing?
If I purchase MS Office, but I only use Word, can I sell you Excel?
Old 05-15-03, 03:42 PM

This is all speculation, but my gut is telling me that you cannot legally sell the fullscreen version and keep the widescreen version, because you are only licensed one copy of the film.
Well, I'm not speculating. I actually went to law school and took copyright law. And you can split up the discs and sell them if you like. No license from the studio or law prevents you from doing so.

If I buy some software that has both PC and Mac installations, I cannot sell the Mac installation and keep the PC installation.
If they're on separate discs, you may well be able to separately sell the discs, depending on the shrinkwrap license.

DJ
Old 05-15-03, 03:44 PM

If I purchase MS Office, but I only use Word, can I sell you Excel?
If both programs are on the same disc, that would require you making a copy in order to separately sell Excel. That's a completely different issue than selling a disc you've bought without doing any copying whatsoever. The issue here is selling copies you've bought, not making your own copies.

DJ
Old 05-15-03, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by djtoell
If both programs are on the same disc, that would require you making a copy in order to separately sell Excel. That's a completely different issue than selling a disc you've bought without doing any copying whatsoever. The issue here is selling copies you've bought, not making your own copies.

DJ
But my speculation is that you have only purchased 1 copy of the movie even though you have 2 discs with 2 different formats.

Let's say a DVD has a widescreen and fullscreen disc and the MSRP is say $20? Would it be OK for Walmart to repackage them seperately and sell them for $15 each? Walmart will make extra money, the consumer will save money, but the movie studio misses out on 50% of the roaylties.
Old 05-15-03, 04:02 PM

But my speculation is that you have only purchased 1 copy of the movie even though you have 2 discs with 2 different formats.
Well, your speculation is wrong. Sorry.

Let's say a DVD has a widescreen and fullscreen disc and the MSRP is say $20? Would it be OK for Walmart to repackage them seperately and sell them for $15 each? Walmart will make extra money, the consumer will save money, but the movie studio misses out on 50% of the roaylties.
It doesn't matter. It's still legal. That's the function of the First Sale Doctrine. Once Wal-Mart has purchased the set from their wholesaler, they can split the discs up if they wish, unless they happened to have signed a contract with the studio preventing them from doing so. The studio doesn't lose a penny, since Wal-Mart has already purchased the DVD at the wholesale level. The studio doesn't get any money beyond that, whether Wal-Mart sells the DVD for 1 penny or $1,000. The studios get their money when they sell their products to distributors, and the price the DVD sells for at the retail level is immaterial to how much they earn.

No matter how many hypothetical situations you try to come up with, the facts of the law won't change.

DJ

Last edited by djtoell; 05-15-03 at 06:15 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.