Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

I Have a serious problem with my Decalogue boxed set.

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-03, 10:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found the original Facets/Image Decalogue 2 disc set a while ago and bought it on the spot...now it sat in my pile of unwatched DVDs (reaching 40 or so now!) and when I finally got to it, during Chapter 5 Thou Shall Not Kill, during the last 5 minutes the disc goes completely bonkers. It seems to be "dvd rot" and it would make sense, as the picture becomes artifacted, the images freeze and then the whole disc freezes. Now I can't take it back because I bought this a whole ago, I emailed Facets and am awaiting to see what they say, but I'm not holding out much hope. Any advice, or am I stuck with a rare OOP boxed set thats got one tiny defect that dissapoints me and really interrupts the film. If you've seen Chapter 5, you know how important the last 5 minutes must be...unfortunetly I do not because I cant view them!
Old 05-11-03, 12:15 PM

Apparently, a lot of the discs had defects. I've read the same horror stories. I'm afraid to get back to watching mine, especially since I bought it from a long gone retailer (reel.com).
Old 05-11-03, 12:58 PM

I'm holding out hope that Facets would somehow honor a replacement when they re-release this, but even so...this is an OOP super rare disc that withouth this error could fetch over $100 on ebay! It's just not cool.
Old 05-11-03, 10:44 PM

That's not good. I got my copy over a year ago and haven't watched that one yet.....now i'm afraid too....
Old 05-12-03, 06:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

xxjobseyes - have you tried playing that 5 minutes on a different dvd player? Sometimes I've found it's just the player,although I've had no problems with my (Image) Decalogue discs.
Old 05-12-03, 08:43 AM

Yup, I've tried it on my Toshiba dvd, my DVDRom on my laptop, my DVDRom on my PC and my PS2. Same thing for all of them.
Old 05-12-03, 08:44 AM

moviezzz, did you watch yours? any problems?
Old 05-12-03, 09:36 AM
Sem

This is why I replaced my two-disc version with three-disc one as soon as the latter edition appeared even though I didn't have any problems at the time. I don't have any confidence in dvd-18 format.
Old 05-12-03, 12:30 PM
Cool New Member

I'd sell it on an online auction, fully disclosing the problem you're having with it. You probably won't get $100, but I bet you'd get your money back...or pretty close at least. The rarity of the set will still make it very desirable at auction, I would think.
Old 05-12-03, 02:03 PM

I might do that, would it be best to wait until the new batch comes out, or would that drop the price? A rare OOP DVD is still a collectors item...i dont know. It's so frustrating. I paid $85 for it. So if i make my money back, i can buy the new version when it comes out, whenever that is. I'm also hoping for new transfers as these do leave something to be desired.
Old 05-12-03, 04:01 PM

Just got an email from Facets (i emailed last night) saying that when the re-release is out, they will in fact do an exchange...still it would be really nice to be compensated for the value of this set! If not for 5 minutes of defective disc!
Old 05-29-03, 11:26 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

I just bought a version off of ebay. it says its 4 dvds. you guys mentioned a 2 disc and a three disc version. is there a 4 disc version?
Old 05-30-03, 04:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I know there is a 3 disc version... I believe this is what they released after there were problems with the 2-disc version.
Old 05-30-03, 07:38 AM
Sem

Originally posted by zenlicker
I just bought a version off of ebay. it says its 4 dvds. you guys mentioned a 2 disc and a three disc version. is there a 4 disc version?
No, it's a bootleg.
Old 05-30-03, 01:36 PM

Originally posted by xxjobseyes
I'm holding out hope that Facets would somehow honor a replacement when they re-release this, but even so...this is an OOP super rare disc that withouth this error could fetch over $100 on ebay! It's just not cool.

$100? I got $217 from some sucker on Half.com around Christmas time. Needless to say, that made me pretty happy. ;-) Now, bring on a rerelease!

David