Is there a release date for 3rd Season of OZ?

Old 05-09-03, 02:43 AM

Is there a release date for 3rd Season of OZ?

Hello,

I've been a lurker on these boards for quite some time now, but have finally decided to join this wonderful community. I was wondering if anyone here had heard anything about when the 3rd season of the HBO tv show OZ would be coming to dvd?
Old 05-09-03, 08:29 AM

welcome aboard. Most likely, it will be released next January.
-r
Old 05-09-03, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

HBO basically releases their series sets on a yearly basis. For any HBO show, add 12 months to the release date of the current set and that'll give you a pretty good sense of the date for the next one.
Old 05-09-03, 11:04 AM

The problem with this is that it there are still 4 seasons to be released (5 seasons if they issue season 4A/4B as seperate 8 episode seasons). Assuming that they release season 4 in one larger box set then we are still looking at waiting until Jan 2007 to have all the seasons released. Maybe it's just me but I hope that HBO decides to up the release dates; they have to realize that by releasing the final season 4 years after the show has ended might cause people to lose interest.
Old 05-09-03, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm wondering, since the quality of the show waned a little in the ongoing seasons, will HBO even have the show as a priority. Sure, there are a lot of fans of Oz - myself included - but perhaps HBO will concentrate on sets of its more acclaimed shows before considering more sets of Oz. Season 2 didn't get nearly as nice a treatment as Season one - will HBO even bother with the later seasons? (Cringes at the thought of a "Best Of")

Originally posted by Poet
Cute name.
Old 05-09-03, 12:22 PM

since the quality of the show waned a little in the ongoing seasons
Never saw the show when it aired, only on DVD. I loved the first season, hated the second. I thought there was a severe dropoff ... it became contrived and trite very quickly, IMO.

Does anyone know how the second season sold? I know the first season was a success on DVD and sold very quickly. But that was at a time when only HBO and A&E were releasing TV sets on DVD. I suspect season 2 -- which wasn't cheap -- may have gotten lost in the glut of TV sets that have been released in the past several months. If so, HBO might abandon this one.
Old 05-09-03, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I bought both sets the first day they were out. I've watched the show on HBO since the first episode. I hope they release all the episodes....but it will take awhile, and that sucks. that reminds me....gotta go to borders and get the book!!!!
Old 05-09-03, 02:31 PM

Originally posted by DonnachaOne

Cute name.

LoL, actually I forgot about Poet the character. I've been using this name since being a Poet became my profession. (that particular career path has now been forsaken to become a corporate drone). Since you mention it Poet was one of my favorite characters though. I never got a chance to see the later seasons, so I am somewhat disappointed to hear that the quality degraded. I hope however that HBO will release them regardless.