Are dvd inserts being phased out?

Old 05-07-03, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Are dvd inserts being phased out?

Is it just me or are newer titles coming out are not having the inserts with them. I know it's all about the dvd itself but the insert being part of a dvd is what made it very collectible. Hell without the inserts, my official region 1 purchase would look exactly like the asian import bootlegs being sold on ebay. Any insight on what the studios are thinking is appreciated.
Old 05-07-03, 08:57 PM
Rest in Peace

All of my new 13 DVD I bought on a outside trip had inserts, and advertisement on what was coming. I rather have the advertisement in inserts than trailers that mess up your expectation of the movies start up or advertisments like tommyboy is putting the commercials right inside the movie!
Old 05-07-03, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I can do without inserts, as long as they provide chap stops and a little side-info on the inside of the cover sleeve, which is what used to be done. I like the inside of the case to remain empty. what I do is print out essential fact info and maybe a reveiw I respect, from somewhere on the internet. I highlite important tidbits, then insert them myself into the case. so I guess what I'm saying is...if they cant do an insert right anyway......let me take care of it on this end.
Old 05-07-03, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The only inserts I look at are the Criterion inserts because of the essays they include. It wouldn't really bother me if they get phased out.
Old 05-07-03, 09:33 PM

I like it when Anchor Bay includes a nice insert card of the original movie poster..... but honestly, most everything else -- chapters, notes, etc.... can be (and are) very easily placed on the disc itself... so I really don't see their need. Take 'em or leave 'em.
Old 05-08-03, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I don't particularly care about inserts either. Booklets that contain essays, film facts, publicity photos, key art, bios, etc. are great, but a single sheet of paper with a cover image on one side and a list of the chapter stops on the other, doesn't interest me very much. They never seem to stay snug under the clips and tend to just slide out all the time and get crunched whenever I open or shut the case - very annoying!
Old 05-08-03, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If its just a chapter listing they can keep the insert. Only the nice booklets with movie info interest me.
Old 05-08-03, 01:25 AM

I like inserts.

~Sam C.
Old 05-08-03, 01:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by darkside
If its just a chapter listing they can keep the insert. Only the nice booklets with movie info interest me.
I agree completely. Chapters are on the DVDs themselves. Why have them on a slip of paper? Useless, IMHO. Unless the flip side includes the original poster art. That's fine.

However, a booklet, with informative production notes is great. I'd rather read a booklet than click through static shots on a DVD, reading my TV.
Old 05-08-03, 02:41 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I don't have much use for inserts either. However, I do like the booklets as mentioned above and the poster replicas that Anchor Bay often includes. If studios are phasing out inserts, I'd like to see them use transparent cases with dual-sided cover inserts like Futurama and many of the foreign dvds.
Old 05-08-03, 04:50 AM
duz
DVD Talk Special Edition

If the insert is just a single sheet with artwork on one side i usually stick it in the front of the case to get rid of the logos and crap that block the covers artwork
Old 05-08-03, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Informative and extensive inserts like Criterion's, akin to old school liner notes in albums, big plus.

Chapter list only inserts, or inserts that only reproduce the dvd cover art once again (wtf is the point of that anyway???) suck, and I'm fine without 'em.

I expect Criterion-esque inserts in SEs, LEs, and the like, but for such as MGM's bargain lines, I don't give a rat's patoot.
Old 05-08-03, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm still waiting for Inserts to be released on DVD...

ooops, wrong thread...
Old 05-08-03, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

you mean those 4 page booklets otherwise known as a folded page? :-) I think Inserts have not yet matured. To support your question, In europe at least, its very common to not get an insert. I dont really mind. I've been toying with the idea of just making my own, perhaps something containing reviews and movie information I can gather. Perhaps an ebert review. Would be nice if there was "dvd insert size" high quality paper for color printing.
Old 05-08-03, 09:07 AM

I've never known why people go so bonkers over inserts in this forum. If a DVD is released without one, it's guaranteed there will be a thread with somebody flipping out over it. Unless the insert is a booklet with actual useful information, I ignore them myself.

Phase 'em out, I say. That or make them more informative!
Old 05-08-03, 11:44 AM

I like having the chapter listings on a printed insert. I just seems easier to find the chapter I'm looking for by checking the insert rather than having to scroll through the chapter menu on the DVD. Plus, I like reading the insert and think it makes for a more professional looking package.
Old 05-08-03, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I like having a booklet or chap insert w/ my dvd's. Without them I feel like I am missing something. If your going to make a DVD without an Insert then they should do them in clear boxes and put the chapter listing on inside of the front cover so you can see it through the case. Like those thin NexPak type cases you get with Futurama/Family Guy. I just want something cool looking or some insert when I fork over $$$ for a DVD especially if its over $14.99.
Old 05-08-03, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Since everyone seemed to go off topic about whether or not they like inserts... i'll tackle the question. No, i don't think inserts are being phased out at all. I personally haven't seen any of my recent dvds without an insert
Old 05-08-03, 01:09 PM

My last two purchases, Far from Heaven and Secretary, were both w/o inserts and it was a little bit disappointing. I mean, i can live without them, it doesn't hinder my enjoyment of the movie, but part of the fun for me of cracking open the case the first time is seeing the disc and the insert sitting there. It just makes for a better presentation even if it is just artwork. But, again, it's really all about the movie.
Old 05-08-03, 01:21 PM

I do not see a point in having an insert if it's a sheet of paper with chapter stops on one side and the dvd cover printed on the other. If you're gonna have an insert, at least make a 2-4 page booklet.....it doesn't even have to be about anything (look at Being John Malcovich). I can't stand te flimsy pieces of paper in my dvd case. Might as well not have an insert (which would be fine with me).

Beside Criterion, I think Lion's Gate makes the best inserts.
Old 05-08-03, 01:54 PM

Originally posted by Groucho
I've never known why people go so bonkers over inserts in this forum. If a DVD is released without one, it's guaranteed there will be a thread with somebody flipping out over it. Unless the insert is a booklet with actual useful information, I ignore them myself.

I think the reason for a lot of those posts are people that are just curious about whether or not a certain title is supposed to have an insert, and they are curious if they bought a "defective" DVD (With a missing insert). There are also a lot of *******s who complain about budget MGM titles, etc. not getting an insert.
Old 05-08-03, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I just bought "The Ref" last Friday and it lacked an insert. First time I remember that happening.
Old 05-08-03, 05:32 PM

A-men
Old 05-08-03, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Couldn't agree more.......
Old 05-08-03, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Insert with chapters:
Insert with promo for other titles by company:

Insert with original poster art:
Insert with a 4+ page booklet telling about the making of the film:

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.