Community
Search

All Movies Straight to DVD?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-03, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
All Movies Straight to DVD?

Will there ever be a time when all (or at least most) movies will go straight to video? And I'm talking big name videos.

With home theaters becoming extremely main stream and with DVD players in nearly every home, will this happen?

Lets take Matrix Reloaded. And lets say they sell it for $25 (ease of math and I think realistically people would pay that for it). Could they get say 10 million people to buy it? Think about it, you wouldn't have deal with theaters and people and getting tickets and driving down to the theater and having to pay $5 for a bag of candy. And the record companies would have $250,000,000 in revenue. If 10 million people go to see it at $7 a pop, thats only 70 million.

Granted this would have to be more for main stream movies, or at least the price would have to be cheaper on less main stream. But for movies like Matrix Reloaded, Spiderman 2, etc. is this feasible?

Will this every happen? It seems like its getting more realistic by the day.

Thoughts?
Old 05-06-03, 09:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It'd be fine by me.... even though I'm there 2-4 times a week.... I hate going to the theater.
Old 05-06-03, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It may happen, but it would be a societal change - the whole CONCEPT of going to the movies is a modification of going to a play - the social scene, the food, the date, etc. - NOT just seeing the movie.
Old 05-06-03, 10:06 PM

I hope not. I love going to the theater.
Old 05-06-03, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts
Seeker makes a valid point. Online shopping hasn't killed off the B&M stores. There's something about sharing an "event" with others.

Why would studios give up such a lucrative venture as movie theaters?

Let's take the upcoming Matrix Reloaded as an example. It's slated to hit $300-400 million domestic boxoffice. These numbers are repeat visits to the theater. These are people who know the DVD is on the way. Plus add in the percentage that studios get from the concessions.

Another thing is when a DVD is bought, it is a single purchase that's viewed by a whole family/group of friends. Take that same group to a theater, that is 3-4 (or more) tickets at a time.

So, there is a lot of money to be made before a single DVD is sold.

Last edited by TomOpus; 05-06-03 at 11:27 PM.
Old 05-07-03, 12:15 AM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
The theatrical experience is what movies are all about. To not love the theatre is to not love cinema.

You cannot appreciate cinema on a tiny screen. And I don't care how big you think your new plasma HD-TV is - it's nowhere near the size and resolution of a proper movie theatre.

Even the crappy mall multiplexes have at least 30' screens.

-- Jough
Old 05-07-03, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by pdjennings
It'd be fine by me.... even though I'm there 2-4 times a week.... I hate going to the theater.
I relate to the hate. for me, it's not the same as it used to be. but then I'm an old-school drive-in junkie...and enjoyed those nights at the Star-Lite and the atmosphere perfect. that and a really bad b- horror double bill. now, I cant handle the people and really need that privacy for true enjoyment. I would consider going more, but where I live, there are no old movie-houses playing just that...old classic films. as far as being at home, saying you really cant appreciate cinema is nuts. I apperciate just fine.
Old 05-07-03, 12:38 AM
Suspended

Unless everybody's got theatre quality A/V setup at home, no.
Old 05-07-03, 01:20 AM

Originally posted by Seeker
It may happen, but it would be a societal change - the whole CONCEPT of going to the movies is a modification of going to a play - the social scene, the food, the date, etc. - NOT just seeing the movie.
I don't know about other people, but I've found that usually laugh a lot more when watching a comedy movie in the theater than if I watch one at home. For instance, I can laugh my @$$ off during a very average or even plain out bad comedy movie in the theater, but have just a few minor laughs when watching a comedy that is considered to be great at home alone or with just a couple of friends.

I think it's because movies don't have laugh tracks like TV shows, and when you see a movie in the theater, the rest of the crowd in essence acts as a live laugh track to the movie.
Old 05-07-03, 06:40 AM

If Madonna's in it then you can pretty much guarantee that it will go straight to video/dvd

No kidding, her last one did in the UK.
Old 05-07-03, 07:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
You are completely right, TomOpus. I forgot the fact that studios can release it in the theaters then turn around and get those people (or at least a fraction) to buy on DVD also. I guess it'll never happen.

As far as the going to a theater debate, I love going to the movies. Its not that. I don't mind sitting in a theater and watching it on a big screen with great sound (and i have a 100" screen/projector, a great sound set up, all in a room specifically for home theater with tiered seating). Its the people that drive me absolutely insane. I can't stand it when people talk during movies. Just a pet peeve i guess. I love sitting in my theater and watching movies with no one else around me to talk. Seems like i get more into the movie.

As far as comedies go, I agree with spyzdope. I went to go see Austin Powers 2 on opening night (only because i went with two hotties, because i didn't think the first one was that great) and laughed my a$$ off.
Old 05-07-03, 07:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts
Sounds like you have a really nice setup, Joeboo. And I hear ya about theater people. I've tried to go during the earlier times, not only less $$ but less people. Last Monday I went to see X-Men 2 at 4pm and there were maybe 30 people in the theater.
Old 05-07-03, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by spyzdope
I don't know about other people, but I've found that usually laugh a lot more when watching a comedy movie in the theater than if I watch one at home. For instance, I can laugh my @$$ off during a very average or even plain out bad comedy movie in the theater, but have just a few minor laughs when watching a comedy that is considered to be great at home alone or with just a couple of friends.

I think it's because movies don't have laugh tracks like TV shows, and when you see a movie in the theater, the rest of the crowd in essence acts as a live laugh track to the movie.
Exactly my thoughts. Probably one of the best theater experiences I've had was seeing There's Something About Mary in a packed showing. Laughter is infectious in crowds.
Old 05-07-03, 10:47 AM

Originally posted by matome
Exactly my thoughts. Probably one of the best theater experiences I've had was seeing There's Something About Mary in a packed showing. Laughter is infectious in crowds.
But sometimes too much laughter can ruin some movies. like for Undercover Brother at the end where he says "behind every strong black man is a.." and everybody broke out laughing when dave chapelle said "the police" and i didnt get to hear what the 3 other people said right after because this woman behind me laughed so loud, even though i already heard this joke on BET, it's something i dont like

the whole social thing is cool if you just want to have fun with a date, or with friends, but if you really want to enjoy a movie I'd take DVD anytime. another bad experience for me, Spider-man, saw it a few weeks after it opened, some woman had the bright idea to bring a baby to the theatre and the baby started crying during a good action sequence then some guy yelled "TAKE IT oUTSIDE!!"

so these days I'm only going to the big-name action packed flicks..X2, can't wait for the 2nd Matrix. oh and everybody go see The Italian Job when it opens May 30th, it's a dope action flick and Charlize Theron is HOT!! (saw a free sneak)
Old 05-07-03, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Going to the theatre has been around for thousands of years, just in the past 100 or so has been this new form called Movies. I think it will be around for another couple of years, I think we will start seeing things available sooner on DVD, say 3-4 months instead of the usual 5-7 months or longer (Darn LOTR!)
Old 05-07-03, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I doubt it would ever happen for the simple reason, say 5 people throw in $5 each to see it, and then more people get to see it for that $25 price, when they each would be paying $9 to go to the theater and see it. Also people that like to go on dates to the theater, like I do, would be out of luck. I dont see this happening.
Old 05-07-03, 11:28 AM

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Re: All Movies Straight to DVD?

Originally posted by Joeboo835
... lets say they sell it for $25
I like to see a movie at the theatre first, and then decide whether or not I want to purchase it. There's no way I would pay $25 for any DVD sight unseen because it might suck. Example: The Exorcist was great, but Exorcist 2 Sucked!!
Old 05-07-03, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
I find that it's easier to watch a movie in the theater than at home. At home there are always distractions, plus, my friends and family will shut up at a theater, they feel the need to talk through anything on video.
Old 05-07-03, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Movies already routinely make more money on home video than they do in the theater. The DVD buyers will likely buy the DVD anyway, even though they've seen the flick in the theater. It's the best of both worlds for the studios, they get to double dip many consumers. Why take the theater money out of the equation? It would just be shooting themselves in the foot.
Old 05-07-03, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
It will never happen. Studios make so much off just the theater run alone that they would not want to rid themselves of that by simply killing those many repeat visits to the theaters.

You sell one dvd and 5 people will see it opposed to 5 people having to pay for a theater ticket. Not to mention that you miss out on the theater going experience.
Old 05-07-03, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by jough
The theatrical experience is what movies are all about. To not love the theatre is to not love cinema.
Agree completely.
Old 05-07-03, 05:52 PM

Originally posted by jough
The theatrical experience is what movies are all about.
What? You mean crying babies, idiots on their phones, people who wont shut the hell up, morons that kick the back of your seat, half an hour of car and pepsi ads before the show and overpriced popcorn are what the movies are all about?

Dude, I will welcome the day when the last theater closes forever and movies are straight to video. As it stands, I think the last movie I saw was Attack of the Clones, and probably the next movie I'll see is Star Wars III. After that, theater is dead to me.
Old 05-07-03, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by MartyMcSuperfly
What? You mean crying babies, idiots on their phones, people who wont shut the hell up, morons that kick the back of your seat, half an hour of car and pepsi ads before the show and overpriced popcorn are what the movies are all about?

Dude, I will welcome the day when the last theater closes forever and movies are straight to video. As it stands, I think the last movie I saw was Attack of the Clones, and probably the next movie I'll see is Star Wars III. After that, theater is dead to me.
You too huh? RotK and SW3 are the only films that interest me at all in the foreseeable future, so theater going is still something of a necessary evil. The closest theater is a major pain to get to for a non-driver like me, and the since it's a 17 theater megaplex, the crowds are usually just obnoxious as hell.

Not to mention with DVD's getting cheaper, and ticket and food prices getting higher, theater chains may eventually end up pricing themselves out of business.
Old 05-07-03, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't think it will ever happen. Too much money made by the big theaters. YOu think they would let that happen? Plus, it is enjoyable to go to the theater and see a film in all its intended glory.
Old 05-07-03, 08:20 PM

my thoughts exactly.... it's like they always say... "Hell is other people".... to me,... it's "Hell is other people in the theater."

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.