Another Billy Wilder collection on its way...

Old 05-06-03, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Another Billy Wilder collection on its way...

This one with 9 movies - including Kiss Me, Stupid. I wonder if this will be the restored version with the censored scenes? HOpe so.

The titles that I remember are;

Avanti
Private LIfe of Sherlock Holmes
The Apartment
Some LIke it Hope
One, Two, Three,
Irma La Douce
Witness for the Procescution
The Fortune Cookie
Old 05-06-03, 04:58 PM

where the hell is double indemnity?!?!?! waaaaaahhh!!
Old 05-06-03, 07:51 PM

And what about Ace in the Hole? *snff*
Old 05-07-03, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'd pay $50 for a DVD of "Ace in the Hole" (aka "The Big Carnival").

Fifty bucks, Hollywood, fifty bucks! What else do I have to do to get you to release this?

Tell me! I beg of you!
Old 05-07-03, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Here's the full list

Contains: "Some Like It Hot (Special Edition)," "Avanti!," "Kiss Me, Stupid," "One, Two Three," "The Private Life Of Sherlock Holmes," "The Apartment," "The Fortune Cookie," "Irma La Douce" and "Witness For The Prosecution"

I'm very happy to get this but wish the Billy Wilder 3 pack didn't JUST come out...
Old 06-05-03, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Some Like It Hot(SE) (1959, 122 mins.)
This hysterical comedy from director Billy Wilder finds Tony Curtis and Jack Lemmon masquerading as women in order to elude irate Chicago mobsters while befriending a beautiful singer (Marilyn Monroe).

Avanti! (1972, 144 mins.)
American businessman Wendell Armbruster (Lemmon) is summoned to Italy after a car accident claims the lives of his father and his father’s secret mistress! And when the mistress’ daughter (Juliet Mills) also arrives – and the bodies of both of their parents disappear – the two instant foes are brought together in a baffling mystery…and an affair of the heart!

Kiss Me, Stupid (1964, 126 mins.)
When world-renowned singer “Dino” (Martin in a hilarious self-parody) passes through Climax, Nevada, he doesn’t count on meeting two would-be songwriters with a plan to trap him there and serenade him with their songs. But then again, they weren’t counting on Dino’s insatiable appetite…for wine and women! And when one of the men learns that his own wife was once president of Dino’s fan club, he hires a replacement wife (Kim Novak) to help lure the carousing star into a song-buying mood!

One, Two, Three (1961, 109 mins.)
C.R. MacNamara (Cagney), a top-ranking executive stationed in West Berlin, is charged with the care of his boss’ visiting daughter. But when he learns that she’s gone and married a fierce young communist – and that his boss will be arriving in town in 24 hours – Mac must transform the unwilling beatnik into a suitable son-in-law or risk losing his chance for advancement! Before you can say “one, two, three,” his plans have spun out of control and into an international incident that could infuriate the Russians, the Germans and worst of all, his own suspicious wife (Arlene Francis)!

Private Life Of Sherlock Holmes, The (1970, 125 mins.)
When a beautiful woman claims that her dear husband has disappeared, the investigation takes Sherlock Holmes (Robert Stephens) and Dr. Watson (Colin Blakely) to Scotland, where – to their surprise – they uncover a plot involving clandestine society, Her Majesty’s Secret Service…and the Loch Ness Monster! But before he can deduce matters to the elementary, Holmes makes an error that may jeopardize the national safety of Britain…and ruin his reputation!

Apartment, The (1960, 125 mins.)
C.C. "Bud" Baxter (Jack Lemmon) knows the way to success in business… it's through the door of his apartment! By providing a perfect hideaway for philandering bosses, the ambitious young employee reaps a series of undeserved promotions. But when Bud lends the key to big boss J.D. Sheldrake (Fred MacMurray), he not only advances his career, but his own love life as well. For Sheldrake's mistress is the lovely Fran Kubelik (Shirley MacLaine), elevator girl and angel of Bud's dreams. Convinced that he is the only man for Fran, Bud must make the most important executive decision of his career: lose the girl… or his job.

Fortune Cookie, The (1966, 126 mins.)
In their first screen pairing, Walter Matthau and Jack Lemmon portray a shyster lawyer and a cameraman in this madcap tale of greed and recouping lost love.

Irma La Douce (1963, 143 mins.)
This Bawdy, Academy Award winning farce, which reunites The Apartment's Lemmon and MacLaine (in a Best Actress Oscar nominated performance), is a "charming antic romantic comedy" (The New York Times) directed and co-written by Billy Wilder.

Meet Nestor (Jack Lemmon), a young man with a very complicated love life. Employed as business manager to Irma La Douce (Shirley MacLaine) - a proud and profitable lady of the streets - the poor guy had gone and fallen in love with her! So how do you keep a popular Parisiennne like Irma faithful? Simple. Disguise yourself as an elderly English Lord who immediately becomes Irma's sole client and means of support! But what's a jealous manager to do when the illustrious Irma claims that the man she's really in love with is not the smitten Nestor but the dotty old lord himself?

Witness For The Prosecution (1957, 116 mins.)
When a wealthy widow is found murdered, her married suitor, Leonard Vole is accused of the crime. Vole's only hope for acquittal is the testimony of his wife...but his airtight alibi shatters when she reveals some shocking secrets of her own!
Old 06-06-03, 02:19 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

This is on my must buy list. Thankfully, the only one I'll be duplicating is Some Like It Hot. This'll fit nicely with my Sunset Blvd, Double Indemnity and Stalag 17.

And I'd kill for Ace In The Hole and Spirit of St Louis! C'MON!! Frigging Jimmy Stewart, why isn't Spirit of St Louis on DVD yet??
Old 06-06-03, 02:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Darn. I was hoping for ace in the hole since this set was announced awhile ago. damnit! oh well, this set rocks steady.
Steady rocking all night long.
Old 07-08-03, 09:30 AM

I see that Canadian e-tailer DVDSoon has this for an excellent price. (I know some have had problems with them -- my few orders have all been successful although a couple took longer than I would have liked to arrive). They currently have a free shipping deal that makes this look even better.

But they list a different UPC than I found on some American sites (DVDSoon has 027616889850, DVDPlanet has 027616889836). So I assume the Canadian version is somehow different. Anyone know if it would just be a packaging difference? The American version seems to have a French track already so I'm guessing that it would just be packaging. Does MGM/UA usually have bilingual covers or other differences in their Canadian releases? DVDSoon doesn't have a packaging image for this either (not that those images are always reliable anyway).
Old 07-08-03, 04:35 PM
Defunct Account

CH has all these titles. If you don't mind not having the box, you can get them for less there.

-Videophile
Old 07-08-03, 09:45 PM

Wasn't Paramount considering doing a restoration a la Sunset Blvd. to Ace in The Hole? Read that somewhere...

Will PLOSH have any restored material as a bonus? The movie was supposed to be 3 hours long in the original cut.

Anyone?
Old 07-08-03, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

does anyone know if The Apartment the same ole faux anamorphic release?
Old 07-09-03, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Videophile - Columbia House sells all 9 of those films?I didn't know they were all out already? I thought some of them were....

I think the differences between the Canadian version and the American is that the Canadian version has to have the french translation of the titles.

Is there any word if Kiss Me Stupid is the uncensored version?
Old 07-10-03, 03:47 AM

Yes, the cut scene from KM,S is included according to someone on HTF.
Old 07-11-03, 03:43 AM

No Witness for the Prosecution

According to Film Freak Central, Witness for the Prosecution has now been "mysteriously dropped" from the boxed set.
Old 07-22-03, 12:05 PM
Emeritus Reviewer

Re: No Witness for the Prosecution

Originally posted by ola_t
According to Film Freak Central, Witness for the Prosecution has now been "mysteriously dropped" from the boxed set.
I was wondering about this. I e-mailed DVDSoon to ask about what I could do about this, as they still list it with WITNESS on their site. I, sadly, sold mine to pay for the box, having not seen this news.
Old 07-22-03, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

DvD soon has bad customer service.

What Billy Wilder films are we still waiting for?

And why can't we get a good copy of Double Indemnity? Isn't it in the public domain?
Old 07-23-03, 01:38 AM

Billy Wilder directed movies

Never released on DVD

Five Graves to Cairo (1943)
Major and the Minor, The (1942)
Death Mills (1945)
Big Carnival, The (aka Ace in The Hole) (1951)
Spirit of St. Louis, The (1957)
Buddy Buddy (1981)
Fedora (1978)

Released, but OOP

Double Indemnity (1944)
Front Page, The (1974)

I still can't believe Spirit of St Louis has never been released on DVD. It has to be some kind of rights issue, it's the only reason I can possibly think of. I mean, jeez, Jimmy Stewart!
Old 07-23-03, 02:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by darkflounder
Never released on DVD

Five Graves to Cairo (1943)
A little-known classic.

I still can't believe Spirit of St Louis has never been released on DVD. It has to be some kind of rights issue, it's the only reason I can possibly think of. I mean, jeez, Jimmy Stewart!
My widescreen VHS still looks pretty good, but I'd be happy to upgrade.
Old 07-23-03, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm a big Wilder fan and never even heard of Death Mills. Accordign to IMDB it's a 22 minute doc that he directed. Anyone seen it?
Old 07-24-03, 02:11 AM

I saw it available on VHS many years ago. Have no idea what it's about, though.

I'm just a completist, I want all of them.
Old 07-24-03, 10:34 AM

I believe Death Mills was the documentary sanctioned by the US government on the concentration camps. Wilder went over to Europe and worked on this for maybe 6 months or so at the request of the government. I was under the impression it was just an editing job.
Old 07-24-03, 05:57 PM

I was looking through my Wilder collection today and forgot about Ball Of Fire which he co wrote and Howard Hawks directed. Has some great Wilder dialogue and definitely one for the completist. Its OOP and goes for too much on eBay, but keep a look out at used DVD stores for this gem. Found mine for 9.99.
Old 09-23-03, 06:46 PM
bga

Am I correct in the impression that only Avanti!, Kiss Me, Stupid, The Private Life Of Sherlock Holmes, and One, Two, Three were new editions for the Billy Wilder collection?
Old 09-23-03, 06:51 PM
Emeritus Reviewer

Originally posted by bga
Am I correct in the impression that only Avanti!, Kiss Me, Stupid, The Private Life Of Sherlock Holmes, and One, Two, Three were new editions for the Billy Wilder collection?
I believe all of them weren't out prior to this. You can buy them individually or in the box.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.