Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Nero Wolfe Season 1 Set

Nero Wolfe Season 1 Set

Old 05-06-03, 12:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nero Wolfe Season 1 Set

Anyone interested in this great A&E series may be interested in knowing that DeepDiscountDVD has season one up for preorder. I haven't seen it anywhere else or heard an official announcement, but I guess this looks good.
Old 05-06-03, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Thank God. I've been waiting patiently for this and I never expected a season box set.

$32 for the whole first season is a steal.
Old 05-07-03, 08:18 AM

I read this last night in the ad from Critic's Choice, which is another face of DDD.

I am so excited!

I figured this would never make it to DVD since the motherless sons at A&E canceled the show after just two season.

CC is calling it an 'exclusive'. I know that CC and DDD had the poirot 3 and 4 set long before 4 was available seperately. I don't know if they have an affiliation with A&E or what.

I checked DDD this morning and was very pleased with $32 shipped. CC is 44.96 + 6.95 to ship. I am too lazy to look for the smilie that is throwing up, but it certainly belongs here!

I love Nero Wolfe!! I've read all the books now, thanks to my bf who completed the set I started about ten years ago when I went away to college.

I am so excited! I can't wait until the DVDs are out.

happy dance, happy dance!

-- Jenny
Old 05-07-03, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

DDD must have some kind of special deals with these mystery DVDs. They are always much cheaper than everyone else on the A&E and Acorn Media releases and they had the Poirot 1&2 and 3&4 as box sets when everyone else sold them separately. Not to mention I got Poirot 4 months before Amazon even had it for sale.

Just hope season 2 and the original A&E movie that came out before it was turned into a series will follow soon.
Old 05-07-03, 10:02 AM

Originally posted by darkside
Just hope season 2 and the original A&E movie that came out before it was turned into a series will follow soon.
Ditto! I taped everything as it aired except the first one, 'The Golden Spiders'. I hate to have to buy anything on VHS, so I have been putting it off, but I've never seen it and it is killing me.

Fingers crossed that this sells well!

-- Jenny
Old 05-15-03, 09:23 AM

This set is #15 on DDD's top sellers.

I am glad to see that people are ordering this great series!

-- Jenny
Old 05-15-03, 11:02 AM

Satisfactory.
Old 06-04-03, 06:32 PM

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Just thought I'd bump this up incase some didn't see it, also here's more info from A&E's web site.

"Imperious and mysterious, Rex Stout's Nero Wolfe was always a natural for television. Finally, A&E got him right."
--John Leonard, New York Magazine

Theirs is one of fiction's great partnerships. Nero Wolfe is a brilliant recluse whose world is dominated by his formidable appetites and beloved orchid collection. Archie Goodwin is his stalwart legman, a dapper, street-smart sleuth who uncovers the clues that let Wolfe unravel the most confounding mysteries without ever leaving his Manhattan brownstone.

A&E's NERO WOLFE stars Maury Chaykin (The Sweet Hereafter, Bartleby) and Oscar® winner Timothy Hutton--who also directed several episodes--as the legendary detective team. Faithfully adapting favorites from the vast Wolfe case log, the series perfectly captures the distinctive style of Rex Stout's classic tales.

This collection includes the complete first season of NERO WOLFE, available on DVD for the first time.

Volume 1:
# The Doorbell Rang
# Champagne For One

Volume 2:
# Prisoner's Base 1 & 2
# Eeny Meeny Murder Moe
# Disguise For Murder

Volume 3:
# Door To Death
# Christmas Party
# Over My Dead Body
Release date is next week. June 10, 2003

Last edited by josepotato; 09-08-03 at 08:47 AM.
Old 06-27-03, 05:36 PM

For those of you who bought the set, here's a note from A&E:

"Nero Wolfe DVDs It was recently brought to our attention by Nero Wolfe fans that some episodes from the Nero Wolfe Season 1 DVD set were edited down from the original broadcast version. We are currently reinstating the missing scenes, and as soon as the new closed captioned DVD masters are complete, we will be shipping replacement DVD sets to all customers who purchased this title. We expect to ship the new sets in 6-8 weeks.

We would like to thank Nero Wolfe fans for bringing this issue to our attention, and for their patience while we address the problem. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused."

It's not clear whether the replacement applies to the sets obtained from other sources such as DDD and Critic's Choice.
Old 06-27-03, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Crap. This has been a big problem with A&E. Wonder if I can get my set from DDD fixed.

Last edited by darkside; 06-28-03 at 09:45 AM.
Old 06-28-03, 12:23 AM

Anyone have any idea about whom to contact about replacement discs?

Contact as a verb. Jeez.
Old 06-28-03, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I ordered the Nero Wolfe box set from A&E a couple of weeks ago. When I didn't receive it shortly after the scheduled release date, I checked my order at A&E. It stated that the release date was 6/25/03. At the time I checked it didn't state why it had been delayed. I also did not receive an e-mail informing me of the delay. Thanks, Serse, for updating me on the new Nero Wolfe box set. If they are expanding the original broadcast version, I can most definintely wait.

Has anyone heard if the demise of the Nero Wolfe TV series is definite. There is no chance of it coming back?
Old 06-28-03, 07:26 AM

Pfui.
J
Old 06-28-03, 01:34 PM

Originally posted by mike45
Has anyone heard if the demise of the Nero Wolfe TV series is definite. There is no chance of it coming back?
I believe producer, Michael Jaffe, sent word to fans in April that he's writing a script himself for a two-hour "In the Best Families" movie and hopes to find an appropriate outlet for it. Some fans feel that USA network would be a good place to show Wolfe episodes due to its success with the offbeat detective series Monk.

There is an online community campaigning for the return of Wolfe as well as redone DVDs. Check it out at
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Pfight/
and see
http://entwold.home.att.net/NeroWolfeDVDs.htm
for a list of cuts to the episodes from the original broadcast.

Last edited by gfoots; 06-28-03 at 01:46 PM.
Old 06-28-03, 08:44 PM

I think for those who got it from DDD, the best route is to ask for a return label and send the set back and re-order when the corrected set becomes available. This way you save on mailing the set back to A&E. Anyway, this is the way I'm going.
Old 06-30-03, 07:41 AM

Can you send it back to DDD after it has already been opened?

-- Jenny
Old 06-30-03, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I called DDD on Friday and they still had no details about the set being defective. She had several calls about it and was going to have her supervisor look into it. I'm hoping they will find out the details and take back the sets.
Old 07-04-03, 01:19 AM

It seems that DDD is indeed sending out return labels if that is the way you would like to handle this. Call them up again, I guess.
Old 08-26-03, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I just got the Nero Wolfe first season box set directly from A&E, after a long delay. I am now watching the DVD's. I still haven't picked up on the extended scenes yet. But, it has been some time since I have seen the series.

Has anyone else received their DVD's?
Old 08-26-03, 05:27 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Does this mean the new/correct ones are ready/being shipped now?
Old 09-04-03, 11:13 AM

FYI, I checked my credit card balance and noticed that DDD has billed me for the price of the Nero Wolfe season set again. No email, but I am hoping that the corrected set is on it's way!

-- Jenny
Old 09-08-03, 08:05 AM

I received the replacement set from DDD. It had a small sticker on the front which maybe distinguishes the re-release(?)

-- Jenny
Old 09-08-03, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I called DDD and they are sending me a prepaid shipping label to do the exchange. Thanks for letting me know the corrected set was available.
Old 09-08-03, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I ordered a set from DDD for my sister's birthday, back when this thread started. It was never shipped... But the corrected version just now arrived at her place.