Cannibal Holocaust DVD announced

Old 05-05-03, 11:57 AM

Cannibal Holocaust DVD announced

This was posted at www.creature-corner.com

By Johnny Butane
Contributing Sources: Bloody Disgusting & Devil DVD

Could it be? Could one the most controversial films ever made finally be coming to DVD? After years of hoping and waiting, are hardcore horror fans going to get what they want?

Certainly seems that way.

On June 15th, 2003, Alan Young Pictures will finally release the infamous 'Cannibal Holocaust' onto DVD, in this very smooth looking packaging. The film was transferred from the original negative print, and fully supervised by the films' director, Ruggero Deodato. Features will included a commentary by Deodato and film critics Giona Nazzaro and Antonio Tentori, a stills gallery, and a 62-minute documentary called "Into The Jungle: The Making of Cannibal Holocaust".

All this is well and great, but since I can find no information on Alan Young Pictures as far as where they're based out of, it might be safe to assume this will not be a region 1 release. We'll let you know if/when we find out, but if this is a film you've been waiting for as long as some, your day's already been made.

Here's the link:

http://www.creature-corner.com/dvd/m...nibalholo.php3
Old 05-05-03, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

But this has already been released in R2 (and bootlegged to death in other regions)... And, the last I heard, Grindhouse held the distribution rights to this film (at least in the States) and have been touring it around the US of A off and on for the last two years or so. > http://www.cannibalholocaust.net/ < I also thought that they (GH) were planning a R1 DVD release at some point ala their Cannibal Ferox disc. This news above, however, doesn't really jive with that... ? Interesting... The above described DVD sounds excellent. If it's a R1 release, I'm in.
Old 05-05-03, 12:30 PM

i really want this disc, if it is r1 i'm all about it, if not i'll wait it out for the supposed grindhouse release.
Old 05-05-03, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

great news
Old 05-05-03, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
'sigh' I will finally be able to retire my VHS dub off the Japanese laserdisc. Life is good. Now if only they will region 1 a DVD of My Lovely Burnt Brother and His Squashed Brain!
Old 05-05-03, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

This would be great, but I'll believe when I see it.
Old 05-05-03, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The DVD discussed here is a reg 2 PAL DVD. There is a reg 0 NTSC DVD issued last year from EC that is quite good. So unless you have a region free pal/ntsc player this one is not for you. The packaging looks great on this one though.

For info on the Grindhouse one check their website:

www.cannibalholocaust.net
Old 05-05-03, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by mgfred
The DVD discussed here is a reg 2 PAL DVD. There is a reg 0 NTSC DVD issued last year from EC that is quite good. So unless you have a region free pal/ntsc player this one is not for you. The packaging looks great on this one though.
Thanks, I figured as much... The wait continues for the Grindhouse R1 release...
Old 05-05-03, 06:31 PM

you could count me in also...although I'm very happy with the EC release, the all region disc that is a Deluxe Collectors Edition and remastered anamorphic WS.
Old 05-05-03, 06:59 PM

For the entire press release and all the specs on the Italian disc, look here:

http://www.mhvf.net/forum/euro/posts/39427.html
Old 05-05-03, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Sartana
For the entire press release and all the specs on the Italian disc, look here:

http://www.mhvf.net/forum/euro/posts/39427.html
That Italian release sounds amazing, but I have the feeling that the documentary may be in Italian only with no English subs (the specs do mention English subs on the feature though). Also, the directors commentary will probably be in Italian (and no English subs?). And its too bad about the 5.1 remix being in Italian only (but understandable as this is an Italian release).

Of course, if I'm wrong about the subs, I'm all over this set. At any rate, this might create a little more pressure for Grindhouse to hurry up and release their DVD.
Old 05-06-03, 04:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by cultshock
That Italian release sounds amazing, but I have the feeling that the documentary may be in Italian only with no English subs (the specs do mention English subs on the feature though). Also, the directors commentary will probably be in Italian (and no English subs?). And its too bad about the 5.1 remix being in Italian only (but understandable as this is an Italian release).

Of course, if I'm wrong about the subs, I'm all over this set. At any rate, this might create a little more pressure for Grindhouse to hurry up and release their DVD.
I can't speak for the new disc, but I own the Jungle Holocaust recent release(within the last year or so). There is an English language documentary that's actually incredibly informative, more than I ever dreamed they'd offer on such a decidedly cult movie. And my most pleasant suprise was the commentary, which was infact in Italian, but had English subtitles on the commentary. I mean, they couldn't get this straight in "Y Tu Mama Tambien"'s comentary from what I"m told, but they nailed it here. So if "Canninbal Holocaust", which is considered the superior offering and owning a bigger fan base than "J.H.", I can only assume now that there will be as much English as possible made availble. I find these commentaries to be amongst the most facisinating, as I try to decide what the director had in his head during some sequences.
Old 05-06-03, 05:11 AM

Originally posted by The Nature Boy
I can't speak for the new disc, but I own the Jungle Holocaust recent release(within the last year or so). There is an English language documentary that's actually incredibly informative, more than I ever dreamed they'd offer on such a decidedly cult movie. And my most pleasant suprise was the commentary, which was infact in Italian, but had English subtitles on the commentary. I mean, they couldn't get this straight in "Y Tu Mama Tambien"'s comentary from what I"m told, but they nailed it here. So if "Canninbal Holocaust", which is considered the superior offering and owning a bigger fan base than "J.H.", I can only assume now that there will be as much English as possible made availble. I find these commentaries to be amongst the most facisinating, as I try to decide what the director had in his head during some sequences.
Which JUNGLE HOLOCAUST DVD are you talking about? The miserable CVC-Minerva R2 PAL release from Italy or the miserable Shriek Show R1 NTSC release? Both discs feature terrible transfers of the movie. I wish somebody would come up with a decent disc of this movie.
Old 05-06-03, 09:49 AM

Sounds interesting. The making-of documentary could very well be more interesting than the film itself.

Last edited by Tyler_Durden; 05-06-03 at 09:52 AM.
Old 05-06-03, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Sartana
Which JUNGLE HOLOCAUST DVD are you talking about? The miserable CVC-Minerva R2 PAL release from Italy or the miserable Shriek Show R1 NTSC release? Both discs feature terrible transfers of the movie. I wish somebody would come up with a decent disc of this movie.
The Nature Boy must be referring to the Shriek Show disc, since the Italian disc does not have a commentary track. So, just because Shriek Show had English subtitles for an Italian commentary track on a disc released in America, that indicates nothing about the likelihood for the same thing to happen on a disc of Italian origin.

DJ
Old 05-06-03, 04:07 PM

Originally posted by djtoell
So, just because Shriek Show had English subtitles for an Italian commentary track on a disc released in America, that indicates nothing about the likelihood for the same thing to happen on a disc of Italian origin.
That's what confused me about the comment.
Old 05-06-03, 04:13 PM

I saw this in film studies college last year, never have I been effected all the way home and at night, I even went to the website and couldn't get the music from the film out of my head for a while, students kept huming the tune when the cannibals do their stuff.

Disturbing horror is the one that gets to you. We all asked if we would keep this film in our house, and if it was in the house, we would keep it locked up.
Old 05-06-03, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by SeanValen
Disturbing horror is the one that gets to you. We all asked if we would keep this film in our house, and if it was in the house, we would keep it locked up.
Excellent!