Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Film Fanatics & DVD

Film Fanatics & DVD

Old 05-03-03, 05:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Film Fanatics & DVD

I am just wondering about the benefits of the popularity of DVD - do you think you now understand more about the films, film history and filmaking because of the power of DVD.

has it changed the way you look and think about films, have your tastes changed as a result or are you into a certain genre that previously you had no knowlege of before DVD?
Old 05-03-03, 06:40 PM
Banned

Yes, No, No, No
Old 05-03-03, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I smell a college term paper in the works...
Old 05-03-03, 07:08 PM
Rest in Peace

To me the most important thing about DVD is, that you can access a favorite chapter. See a same scene over and over, you are *not* wearing the disc at all, unlike Vhs tape!

2nd would be scene selections, to start a movie where you want, not always at the beginning.
Old 05-03-03, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,285 Likes on 935 Posts
I've been introduced to more films and directors with DVD. Also, while I watched anime before, I now buy anime. DVD sure made it more prudent to upgrade my HT.
Old 05-03-03, 11:26 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
There are a lot of films that I've sought-out to watch for the first time on DVD. The presentation is better, and I collect them, whereas I didn't collect pre-recorded VHS tapes (not much, anyway).

I do love the commentaries and documentaries. I love the instant scene access and gorgeous picture.

I love that a freeze frame is FROZEN, not jerky and washed out like a video tape.

But has it increased my appreciation of film? No, but it enhances my enjoyment of them.

-- Jough
Old 05-06-03, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No to all of them. DVD's can't substitute for a film class, although enough of the right ones will come close, at least to maybe a 'Film Watcher 101' type class. Definitely not an actual film making class though.

It hasn't changed the type/genre that I like, it has however allowed me to see films in my home that I may have otherwise had to wait to see at 1-2 theaters in my city, assuming they'd ever come.
Old 05-06-03, 02:56 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
I know more about film and understand it better because of the proliferation of DVDs and the Internet. It's not so much the DVDs themselves, but the fact that I can discuss film with more people, and there are probably more film enthusiasts since the advent of DVD.
Old 05-06-03, 02:59 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes to all

...but I still learn(ed) a lot from books and classes.
Old 05-06-03, 03:24 PM

DVD is helping me see older films I've wanted to see but never had a chance before. That's about it.
Old 05-06-03, 09:20 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
There are a lot of movies I've never seen that have been on my "wish list" that I just never got around to renting.

So now when a blind buy comes up for a catalog title on DVD and the reviews are good, I'll pick it up.

I'd never seen "Touch of Evil" before the DVD. Ditto "Les Enfants du Paradis." Or "Alphaville."

I still haven't seen "Schindler's List." I'm still waiting for the dang DVD to come out.
Old 05-07-03, 09:45 AM
Banned

Originally posted by danol
To me the most important thing about DVD is, that you can access a favorite chapter. See a same scene over and over, you are *not* wearing the disc at all, unlike Vhs tape!

2nd would be scene selections, to start a movie where you want, not always at the beginning.
Don't forget about 5.1 ....
Old 05-07-03, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
...Or 6.1
Old 05-07-03, 10:27 AM

DVD has certainly changed the way I look at and think about films. I never used to see the point of widescreen and had no qualms about pan and scan. It was only after I bought my DVD player that I learned to appreciate how much better a movie looks when presented in its OAR. I used to collect VHS copies of movies that I really liked, and have since replaced most of them with DVDs. Also, having a home theatre, with a relatively large CRT television (32"), makes the in-home movie experience so much better than watching a VHS tape in stereo. I now don't fret about seeing every movie that piques my interest in a theatre. I know that with my set up at home, I will truly enjoy the full sensory impact of films. For the most part, I reserve my theatre going to 'event' films. So to summarize, DVD has had a huge impact on me...for the better.

Go Leafs Go.