Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

OOP Giant.....worth keeping?

Old 05-03-03, 01:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just saw the news of the upcomming release of Giant. Finally everyone will be able to see this classic! Now the question remains for those who have the OOP Canadian version, what should we do with it? Keep it, sell it, give it away? Will there be a totally new transfer, or will it be the same? Any info or advice would be great, thanks.
Old 05-03-03, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,401 Likes on 1,026 Posts
I have no idea about Giant, but I have started keeping every barebones version, until I read solid, dependable reviews of the new one. I might not get as much resale value after the new one is released, but I also don't have to risk getting rid of something that turns out to be worth keeping.
Old 05-04-03, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I sold my Canadian copy of Giant several months ago because I knew a new release was coming soon, and it was going for big bucks on Ebay. I figure the transfer on the upcoming release will be at least as good as the Canadian, which was only mediocre at best, but anticipate a better effort from Warner this time. However, I don't know if it will have all the same extras included on the Canadian DVD.
Old 05-04-03, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Seems to have all the same stuff (& more) as on the old Canadian release and some etailers in the UK are even listing a 3 disc set! Off-loaded my last copy (had 3 others at one time) for $200 so I’m happy.
Old 05-04-03, 11:09 AM
Rest in Peace

Milo Bloom

Like you I am cautious, I keep the Vhs tape until I'm sure I like what I bought, then throw the Vhs in the garbage chute. If the garbage man finds it and 'only' has Vhs, he can take it home to add it to his collection.

There are people that can't afford a hobby like ours, so I let them have a good movie on their level. Local pawn shop is *not* buying Vhs any more just DVD.

P.S. I wish I could get our Pawn Shop to allow me to come *in*, but since he has narrow aisles, he will not allow me to bring my electric scooter or wheelchair in to view and buy used DVD.