Community
Search

Bonus Chaplin DVD (Variety)

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-03, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bonus Chaplin DVD (Variety)

Got my new VARIETY magazine today which came with a very interesting DVD (NTSC) of about 14 min of reviews, interviews, and screen grabs/footage from the newly restored Chaplin DVD's.

I watched it 4 times since this afternoon and what I could say is... simply amazing!! This DVD is obviously a marketing move from MK2 and WB however what is really valuable here is the frame by frame comparison with the old versions and the new material provided (not a lot, total of about 10-15min) from the actual films.

The result is simply.....I am not sure I have words to describe it. I remember the way the films looked and what the French have provided as a material and some of the extras from Chaplin pundits, directors and so on, is simply making my hands shaking.

The DVD does not have that much info so one could get a definitive idea of what the actual discs will look like however from what I saw...I will be buying the set the day it comes out.

Anyway, VARIETY has an entire separate (second) magazine provided which comes in a package with the reguaalr one dedicated to Chaplin. Lots of info in there regarding MK2 and the films restoration, Chaplin's life and work and so on. If you are like me and can not wait for the DVDs to come out take a look at this...it will sure make you happy!!

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 05-05-03 at 12:06 AM.
Old 05-02-03, 06:45 AM
Defunct Account

I'm really on the fence on this set. I'm a big Chaplin fan. I bought all these movies when Image originally released them, and I'm happy with what I have. I also hate to have to buy a movie twice. BUT....

This set sound really nice. I'm very tempted to snag it.

What is everyone else who already has these masterpeices doing?

-Videophile

P.S. pro-bassoonist, your DVDProfiler collection is locked.
Old 05-02-03, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts
Originally posted by videophile

What is everyone else who already has these masterpeices doing?
I can already justify rebuying The Gold Rush if only for the original cut of the film and The Great Dictator for the extras.

Now it gets tricky, Modern Times is one of my favorites and the extras are tempting, so if I decide to get it, I will get the box instead since it will be cheaper than buying 3 of the 4 individually.
Old 05-02-03, 10:34 AM

>>What is everyone else who already has these masterpeices doing?
Old 05-02-03, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

videophile- I know that it is locked....my computer crashed awhile ago and I lost lots of info. Will have to restore it soon...and then "unlock" it! Thank you for noting though.

Now back to the topic.

I dont know how many of the old Image discs you own...I have only 2 and was hoping that the French MK2 will sooner or later put special editions. Well....It got even better...they are coming home to the US.

Again from what they show on this extra disc...LOOKS UNBELIEVABLE- so clean!!!! Citizen Kane -quality!!

My question is....when these sets were announced WB/MK2 said 10 films....well....what happenes after that....what about the rest of them. (I do know that the second set is coming in the Fall).

Check some of the extras on this preview-disc.....esp. the interviews......very interesting.

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 05-02-03 at 11:49 AM.
Old 05-02-03, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts
Originally posted by markdclark43016

ALSO -- Does anybody know if this series will include collections of the Mutual, Essanay and/or Keystone shorts?
No, but Image is re-packaging the Mutual and Essanay comedies in a new 7 DVD box set. The following is from the Image website:

Charlie Chaplin: Short Comedy Classics (DVD)
Rating: Not Rated
MSRP: $ 99.99 Status: Active
Release Date: 7/8/2003
Pre-Order Date: 5/27/2003
Studio: Image
Catalog Number: ID0457DSDVD
UPC: 014381045727

Main Genre: Comedy
Sub Genre: Silent

Actors/Artists: Charlie Chaplin

Synopsis: See one of America#s best-loved comedians at his finest with this side-splitting 7-disc DVD collection! Sixteen hilarious Essanay comedies from the beginning of Chaplin's career, including "His New Job," "The Tramp" and "Triple Trouble", twelve two-reel comedies Chaplin made the following year with the Mutual Company, including such classics as "Easy Street," "The Vagabond" and "The Rink", Fully restored and transferred from premier quality 35mm negatives with new digital stereo scores. As well as a bonus disc with "Chaplin's Goliath: In Search of Scotland's Forgotten Star," a 54-minute 1996 documentary, traces the fascinating story of Chaplin's "heavy" co-star in the Mutual comedies, Eric Campbell, including rare outtakes, screen tests, and much more.
Old 05-02-03, 02:29 PM

>>No, but Image is re-packaging the Mutual and Essanay comedies in a new 7 DVD box set.
Old 05-02-03, 02:46 PM

Is this material going to be on the dvds that are coming out?
Old 05-02-03, 03:35 PM

$100 is great price. I think I paid nearly $25 for the Mutuals and got the 3 Essanays for $60 and another $25 for the First National Collection DVD. Plus, they'll probably put them in keepcases instead of the snappers they are in now. That's what they did with the 10 disc Buster Keaton collection.

They say 10 of his movies huh? Well we know already that The Gold Rush, Limelight, Modern Times and The Great Dictator are all coming out. They will definitely add City Lights(my favorite), The Circus, The Kid/A Dog's Life and Monsieur Verdoux. That's 8. I'm guessing they'll release Tillie's Punctured Romance from 1915. The first ever feature length film. And maybe A King in New York or A Woman of Paris. Anybody else have any guesses?

Also, if you haven't picked up Chaplin's very last film as a director and writer, 1967's A Countess From Hong Kong starring Brando and Sophia Loren is out from Universal. You can get it for like $10 at DDD.
Old 05-02-03, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,207 Likes on 1,509 Posts
Thanks for the heads up pro-bassoonist. I have to pick up that issue of Variety so I can check out the disc.

Since I never got around to buying the Image discs, the WB/MK2 discs will definitely be mine.
Old 05-02-03, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Why is it not listed as a pre-order on amazon.ca yet???
Old 05-02-03, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
One of the Variety articles mentions that once all the MK2/Warner Chaplin films are released on DVD, they will collect them together in a massive box set which will include a bonus DVD with a documentary on Chaplin (I think the article is about the actual documentary.)

I might wait for that box set and get them all at once.

Anyone know if Image is going to release that Eric Campbell documentary seperately?

Andrew
Old 05-03-03, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally posted by cultshock
Thanks for the heads up pro-bassoonist. I have to pick up that issue of Variety so I can check out the disc.

Since I never got around to buying the Image discs, the WB/MK2 discs will definitely be mine.
You're welcome!!
Old 05-03-03, 03:40 PM
MrN
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks like TCM will be showing a lot of these Chaplin films (I'm assuming the restored versions) along with the documentaries in July.
Old 05-03-03, 05:01 PM

I'm rebuying all the Chaplin DVD's I already have.
Old 05-03-03, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: Chicago, only a stone's throw from Chicago (even if you throw like a girl)
I would love to see the disk packaged with variety. Where can it be obtained?

SPY
Old 05-03-03, 11:28 PM

SPY,

I searched all over town today trying to locate a copy with no luck. On the Home Theater Forum someone posted that they found it at BORDERS BOOKS so I called the closest one to my house. Guess what? They have 2 copies so I am having them hold them until I can get over there Sunday morning. --Edward
Old 05-04-03, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

well..... I dont know if this is going to help but they have a website.

www.variety.com

in general you could try Borders, Barnes & Noble....

ps.
On a side note there is a huge poster (well 2 pages) of the RETURN OF THE KING!!!

Looks awesome!!!

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 05-04-03 at 12:38 AM.
Old 05-04-03, 03:23 PM

pro-bassoonist,

Am I missing something here? You said that the dvd comes with 45 minutes of material but all I see is about 13 minutes. Also cannot find any screen grabs and there is no top menu. Do I have a bad dvd? --Edward
Old 05-04-03, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

are you sure it is only 13 min? when I get back home I will check again...maybe I was wrong. The screen grabs/footage I mentioned...it is the split screen and the comparison between the old version and the new restored version.

I am at work now but I will post again as far as the time goes as soon as I get back home. I watched the DVD 3 or 4 times after I got it and...I am not sure I missed that much. You could be right though...I was really excited!!
Old 05-04-03, 10:18 PM

Yes; I am sure as the dvd contains only 525 megs of data. Don't get me wrong. I really enjoyed what footage there was and the restoration of these films looks amazing. I will be picking up the box set for sure. --Edward
Old 05-04-03, 11:30 PM

Was this weekly or daily Variety. I only get daily.
Old 05-04-03, 11:37 PM

Weekly Variety.
Old 05-05-03, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Edward,

I just got back home from work and you are correct....the dvd contains only about 15 min. of data (I can not tell for sure as I did watch it on my computer). I have no idea why I concluded that it is 45 min (keep in mind that the afternoon I got it I watched it probably 3 times).

Also....there is no menu...it simply kicks off as soon as I place the disc in.

I guess I was so perplexed by the visuals that I got the timing wrong....I still believe that the issue of Variety was very informative with the extra material on Chaplin and the restoration process of some of his films.

Thank you for the heads-up....I will change the timing in the primary post.
Old 05-05-03, 01:01 AM

Yes the Bonus magazine is very nice if a little large. I just got through watching the dvd again. I cannot get over how good these films look. Simply amazing! --Edward

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.