Suspiria LE questions

Old 05-01-03, 10:32 AM

Suspiria LE questions

i was watching dawn of the dead the other day, and i LOVE the soundtrack by goblin. while browsing the horror dvd section in my local borders, i saw suspiria, which i had vague interest in seeing. upon examining the box, i read that GOBLIN did the soundtrack!!!!!!!! not only that, but the 3rd disc is a soundtrack cd! this instantly became a must buy.

however, looking at the description on ddd, it says the original running time is 100 minutes, and then lists the running time on the disc as 98 minutes. is it a typo, or are we missing out on something?

also, did GOBLIN do the soundtrack for any other noteable movies?

thanks!
Old 05-01-03, 11:03 AM

This seems to be a mistake. The Anchor Bay release is complete and uncut.
Old 05-01-03, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

For some strange reason, this movie has always been plagued with inaccurate claims of its running time. The original theatrical trailer proclaims, "The only thing more terrifying than the last 12 minutes of Suspiria are the first 92!".

The movie has never been longer than 98 minutes. Whoever put together that trailer was lacking math skills.
Old 05-01-03, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The LE of Argento's Opera has a Claudio Simonetti soundtrack, who is a member of Goblin.

Goblin's filmography:
http://us.imdb.com/Name?Goblin
Old 05-01-03, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't know how accurate this is, but just popped the disc in and looked at the menu to see how long the movie is...1:38:26
Old 05-01-03, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: Re: Suspiria LE questions

Originally posted by paranoized
The Anchor Bay releases are uncut, visually speaking. However, in the process of remixing the soundtrack a few key sound effects were left out. It's unfortunate that they did not include the original sound mixes which also keep the Goblin score insanely loud throughout the film.
This was argued long and hard at a couple of the DVD horror sites.

I think that the Dolby Digital track did signficantly understate the music/sound effects compared to the DTS track. This is not some minor DTS/5.1 debate this was a major difference.

I think that the complaints from fans are those that are either listening to the 5.1 track or the 2.0 English track. The 2.0 track (which many will still listen to because they don't have receivers ... is awful. I did notice that the French and Italian tracks did much better/louder sounding music than the 2.0 English track. The two foreign tracks had other things missing though ... like lightning strikes that are on the other tracks.

Bottom line is if you have DTS capability you will be a happy camper .. otherwise ....

btw, Josh Zyber did a pretty good review over at the DVDfile site...
Old 05-01-03, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

just a sidenote, but I used to play tons of Goblin and various progressive rock and jazz on my radio show....for around 15 years. didnt know who Argento was back then, but loved the music. of course thats when I was paid well to play what I loved. you dont get that kind of radio much any longer.
Old 05-01-03, 09:40 PM

Re: Re: Suspiria LE questions

Originally posted by paranoized
The essential Goblin soundtracks:

Zombie (Fulci's Zombi 2)
Goblin didn't do the music for Zombie. It was done by Fabio Frizzi and Giorgio Tucci.

DJ
Old 05-02-03, 10:01 AM

thanks for all the replies. looks like this will be a no-brainer from ddd for $18. zombie (zombi 2) has one of my favorite sountracks as well!

seeing as i've never seen it before, will the reworked soundtrack still be an issue for me? i am dolby digital capable, but not dts (i watch all my movies on my comptuer with my 5.1 speakers). is it that the soundtrack is too loud to hear sound effects and dialogue?
Old 05-02-03, 01:28 PM

The Suspiria soundtrack is a real standout, especially in the scene where the lead female is in a hallway looking at a fat man (lol, the best way I can think of to describe it). I rewound that scene to watch it again just because of the music.
Old 05-02-03, 06:07 PM

Originally posted by malkmuz
thanks for all the replies. looks like this will be a no-brainer from ddd for $18. zombie (zombi 2) has one of my favorite sountracks as well!

seeing as i've never seen it before, will the reworked soundtrack still be an issue for me? i am dolby digital capable, but not dts (i watch all my movies on my comptuer with my 5.1 speakers). is it that the soundtrack is too loud to hear sound effects and dialogue?
The quick answer is that dialogue is not bothered just some fans wished that the 5.1 track and the 2.0 english tracks was more pronounced both score and effects.

The harder issue is one of opinion and equipment. When someone tells you something (including me) is it relevant for your set-up? Some people argue about sound quality with speakers in their TV .. others have thousands invested in speakers let alone amps etc.

Final thought. A solution for you seems easier than for most. You can easily upgrade your DVD software on your computer to software that encodes DTS. PowerDVD and many others do it.

Then you're in for a treat ... assuming your speakers don't suck.
Old 05-02-03, 06:27 PM

Check out this link from the Mobius Home Video Forum:

http://www.mhvf.net/forum/euro/posts/23304.html

Bill Lustig, the guy who did the early Magnum VHS and laserdisc SUSPIRIA sound mixes AND produced and mixed the recent Anchor Bay DVD, answers some questions about the differences in the mixes. It's pretty interesting stuff. I'm not sure I agree with him that the differences between the DTS and DD on the DVD are just due to the different compression formats though. If that is true then it really shows off how superior DTS can be.
Old 05-02-03, 06:58 PM

thanks for the link,

yes, agreed,

there are many fine DD 5.1 mixes ... this is just not one of them
Old 05-02-03, 10:14 PM

Originally posted by ctyankee

Final thought. A solution for you seems easier than for most. You can easily upgrade your DVD software on your computer to software that encodes DTS. PowerDVD and many others do it.

Then you're in for a treat ... assuming your speakers don't suck.
holy toledo, you are my new hero! i've been settling for dolby digital ex ever since getting my decent little 5.1 speaker setup for the computer, thinking that i wouldn't be able to decode dts. but a quick trip to the windvd help file got me listening to the dts demo in no time. thanks a million!
Old 05-02-03, 10:50 PM

Not that you need any more convincing, but I'd just like to say that Goblin's score for Suspiria is without a doubt the best and creepiest horror movie score ever.
Old 05-08-03, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by malkmuz
If you've never seen the movie before, you'd never know there was supposedly a problem.

The issue is that long-time fans of the movie claim that in the original theatrical mix the music and sound effects were much louder, to the point where they drowned out the dialogue and bludgeoned the viewers' senses until their ears bled. The DVD is still plenty loud, but it has adjusted the levels so that now the dialogue is more audible.

If you're a purist, the original mix would be preferable. But for a casual viewer the DVD is fine. As I said, the DVD is still plenty loud.
Old 05-08-03, 10:44 AM

Does anyone know if there are 2 different Region 1 versions of Suspiria LE? The one selling on Overstock.com appears to have a different cover than the ones that sell at most stores and websites here in the U.S..
Old 05-08-03, 11:02 AM

Originally posted by Friday13thuncut
The Suspiria soundtrack is a real standout, especially in the scene where the lead female is in a hallway looking at a fat man
I'm pretty sure that's a woman.