New Line DVD Covers and Cases

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-03, 10:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is New Line Cinema DVD going over to keepcases? All their Infinifilms have been released in Amaray cases. You can also get Friday and Austin Powers 1 & 2 in Amaray. They were repackaged with the subsequent releases of Friday After Next and Austin Powers in Goldmember. So will we see a Dumb and Dumber in Amaray case whenever Dumb and Dumberer is released on DVD? Wouldn't Blade 1 and 2 look great together both in keepcases? Just wondering if they are ever going to repackage all their titles into Amaray cases.
Old 05-01-03, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Blade is in a keepcase now.
Old 05-01-03, 12:07 PM

Where did you find Blade in a keepcase?
Old 05-01-03, 02:07 PM

I'm still searching for Final Destination in a keepcase.
Old 05-01-03, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
final destination will probably be availbile in one when number 2 comes out but you will probably have to get 2 to get 1 in a keepcase.
Old 05-01-03, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've been hearing rumors for months now that they are switching old snappers to keepcases, but I've yet to see any hard evidence.

The only ones that I've seen switched are Blade and the first 2 Austin Powers films. And those films all had sequels released, hence the switch (to keep the cases consistent).

I haven't seen any older titles (Dark City, Nightmare on Elm St. movies, The Hidden, Long Kiss Goodnight, The Player, Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me) show up in new cases, although I'd love it if someone could confirm that they've actually seen this happen...

EDIT: Actually, I take that back. They've also switched over Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles... although that too was after releasing the sequels to DVD. They seem to only be doing this when the cases won't "match" for sequels... I'd rather they just did them all.
Old 05-01-03, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2019 TOTY Winner

Received 160 Likes on 122 Posts
I've seen Austin Power 1 & 2 and Friday in keepcases

Anyone know if the Nightmare on Elmstreet box set is available in keepcases yet?
Old 05-02-03, 03:53 PM

Even one of their newer release, The Mack, was amaray. I think they need to just slowly but surely go over to the keepcases.

Also, I have seen crap titles like Pluto Nash and Ya-Ya Sisterhood in keepcases. They are both Castle Rock films I believe. And they weren't the original cardboard that was cut to fit into an amaray either.

BTW, how did it ever start that only Warner and New Line had the snappers and everybody else had keepcases?
Old 05-02-03, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

My understanding is that Warner has a vested interest in the snappers. New Line is a branch of Warner, therefore they use them as well. THere are also some HBO films out there that are in snappers (2 Days in the Valley comes to mind).
Old 05-02-03, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

^^^ I think HBO Films is also switching to keep cases as well (My Big Fat Greek Wedding for example).
Old 05-03-03, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: New Line DVD Covers and Cases

Originally posted by runnersdialzero
So will we see a Dumb and Dumber in Amaray case whenever Dumb and Dumberer is released on DVD?
Dumb and Dumber has been out on DVD for several years now.
Old 05-03-03, 02:58 PM

Originally posted by runnersdialzero
Also, I have seen crap titles like Pluto Nash and Ya-Ya Sisterhood in keepcases.
Aren't those Warner releases? Why are they in keepcases? Warner hasn't switched over to keepcases, just New Line.

And they weren't the original cardboard that was cut to fit into an amaray either.
What do you mean by "original cardboard"? I've never seen a snapper case that fit nicely into a keepcase.

BTW, how did it ever start that only Warner and New Line had the snappers and everybody else had keepcases?
Actually, a lot of different companies used snappers in the beginning. There was far less standardization in cases back in '97-98, everyone was sort of doing their own thing. Some, like Universal, even experimented with CD jewel cases for awhile. Most have subsequently switched over to keepcases for standard releases and digi-paks for multi-disc sets. Warner, however, owns the company that makes them, and therefore has a vested interest. They have no plans to scrap them, despite widespread outcry from the DVD-buying public. In fact, the President of the DVD Marketing Division at Warner recently told members at the Home Theater Forum during an open chat that snappers are definitely here to stay. Too bad for anyone with a DVD collection.

Last edited by joliom; 05-03-03 at 03:00 PM.
Old 05-03-03, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
"In fact, the President of the DVD Marketing Division at Warner recently told members at the Home Theater Forum during an open chat that snappers are definitely here to stay. "

I can see it now...T3 in a snapper case (the horror!)

Dean
Old 05-03-03, 11:19 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Re: Re: New Line DVD Covers and Cases

Originally posted by joliom
Dumb and Dumber has been out on DVD for several years now.
You're not reading carefully.

The post asked about Dumb and Dumber being re-released in a keepcase when its sequel, Dumb and Dumberer, is released on DVD.

The sequel hasn't yet hit theatres, and is certainly not on DVD.

-- Jough
Old 05-04-03, 10:29 AM

Re: Re: Re: New Line DVD Covers and Cases

Originally posted by jough
You're not reading carefully.

The post asked about Dumb and Dumber being re-released in a keepcase when its sequel, Dumb and Dumberer, is released on DVD.

The sequel hasn't yet hit theatres, and is certainly not on DVD.

-- Jough
Sorry - I missed that extra "er". Now I feel stupiderer.
Old 05-04-03, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Most new line titles (including Dumb and Dumber) have been available in Keep Cases in Canada for quite a while, sequels or not....

MATT
Old 05-27-03, 01:35 PM

Just picked up "Dumb and Dumber" in a amaray case today with, of course, a sticker promoting Dumb and Dumberer. Everything's the same, except they added Bruce Almighty has a credit for Jim Carrey on the back cover.

Still looking for Blade and Rush Hour in a amaray case.
Old 05-27-03, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Dean Kousoulas
"In fact, the President of the DVD Marketing Division at Warner recently told members at the Home Theater Forum during an open chat that snappers are definitely here to stay. "
I wonder if W-B's president would still hold that idea if people stopped buying their titles?
Old 05-27-03, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by DarthMaul420
I wonder if W-B's president would still hold that idea if people stopped buying their titles?
I'm sure they would make a change immediately if it was stopping people from buying... but realistically (aside from a few fanatics) it isn't.

I hate hate hate snappers. But I have never once avoided buying a title I wanted because of it's packaging.
Old 05-27-03, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I wish they had some kind of exchange program for those who wanted to switch to the new keepcases.
Old 05-27-03, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by bboisvert
I'm sure they would make a change immediately if it was stopping people from buying... but realistically (aside from a few fanatics) it isn't.

I hate hate hate snappers. But I have never once avoided buying a title I wanted because of it's packaging.
I have avoided several titles that were in snappers. They were marginal buys for me anyway; nevertheless, I would have purchased them had they not been in snappers. That would have been at least $100 from me. Their loss.
Old 05-27-03, 05:42 PM

I have very few snappers. I hate them as well. I haven't bought The Matrix yet because it's in a snapper. I'm planning on getting The Animatrix in the slightly higher-cost DVD/CD collection because it most likely won't be in a snapper.
Old 05-27-03, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by PrometheusUFO
I have very few snappers. I hate them as well. I haven't bought The Matrix yet because it's in a snapper. I'm planning on getting The Animatrix in the slightly higher-cost DVD/CD collection because it most likely won't be in a snapper.

Are you talking about those "Limited Edition" dvd sets WB puts out? Just curious. They seem to have a dozen or so of them.

Anyone have some of these sets? If so do you like them?
Old 05-27-03, 08:05 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Those "limited edition" sets are put out by Creative Element, and they feature the same ol' snapper case, plus lots of other junk.

Has anyone picked up the Animatrix/CD combo? From what I've heard it's just two packages (i.e. a snapper and a jewel box) wrapped together.

It'd be interesting to see if it's packaged differently in Canadia, or elsewhere.

-- Jough
Old 05-28-03, 12:09 AM

Originally posted by jough
Has anyone picked up the Animatrix/CD combo? From what I've heard it's just two packages (i.e. a snapper and a jewel box) wrapped together.

Doesn't look like that to me.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.