Finally! Romero's The Crazies

Old 04-29-03, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Finally! Romero's The Crazies

This DVD, just released today, seems to have passed under the radar here, and at other sites as well. I'm surprised because there seems to be a large base of Romero fans on this site. If you only know the zombie flicks, you need to check this movie out.

Personally, I've been waiting almost 20 years to see this movie again. It had a small theatrical release in '73 or '74 when it was made, and while the VHS wouldn't be characterized as rare necessarily, it was definitely in the hard to find category. It's about a military plane crash that releases a virus in a small town, either killing the victim or making them, well, crazy. The military gets called in to contain it and I won't spoil the rest.

The DVD features a commentary by Romero himself, interview w/ the star, anamorphic 1.66:1 transfer, trailer, tv spots, gallery and bios. A very packed disc for a catalog title.

Just wanted to post this so other fans who might not realize it comes out today can see it. I'm surprised it hasn't graced the reviews of the Cineshlocker yet, too! G Noell, you awake out there?
Old 04-29-03, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Dirt cheap too. $11.98 shipped from DDD.

(Mine shipped about 3 days ago, so I should have it soon.)
Old 04-29-03, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yup, only new release worht buying today IMO. Doesn't surprise me that it passed under the radar of most. I really don't expect it to be on anyones radar.

Hopefully I'll get the chance to watch it tonight.
Old 04-29-03, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I didn't know this was coming out until a few days ago. I'm glad I passed on the Japanese release a few months ago.

Two older films (horror and sci-fi) are supposed to be out today, too, and I wonder how many people are aware of their release:
Horrors of the Black Museum
Target Earth
Old 04-29-03, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Two Evil Eyes, the George Romero/Dario Argento collaboration, was also released on DVD by Blue Underground today in a 2-disc LE.

DJ
Old 04-29-03, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

my tape of The Crazies lasted longer than I thought it would. tossed it out this morning since it was on it's last leg. watchin' both the new BU titles tonight. I'm in-love with BLUE UNDERGROUND and will buy anything they put out...simple as that.
Old 04-29-03, 05:24 PM

Both the Crazies and Two Evil Eyes look pretty good from reviews and what i've read on different web sites. Shockingly my Best Buy appears to have both in stock so I just might have to swing by after work and pick them up.
Old 04-29-03, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by MichaelMeyers
Shockingly my Best Buy appears to have both in stock so I just might have to swing by after work and pick them up.
yeah, mine had 4 copies of The Crazies and about 40 of ...Eyes. I went in draggin' my feet, almost convinced they wouldnt have these 2. man was I....SHOCKED!!!

but no The Swimmer or Atlantis...what the hell?!
Old 04-29-03, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by shill66
Target Earth
The release date for this has been pushed back to 5/13. Typical of VCI releases, we can probably expect a couple additional delays before it comes out. Looking forward to it though (commentary track!)