recommend one of these criterions and why

Old 04-28-03, 12:54 AM

recommend one of these criterions and why

i have the option to get a criterion and narrowed it down to one of these three. someone convince me of which to get.

fear and loathing in las vegas
straw dogs
and do the right thing

i'd love to hear from someone who has witnessed all three, but all opinions are always welcome.
Old 04-28-03, 12:59 AM

I own all three of these and I love them all. I think I would go with Do the Right Thing, but they all have merit to buy. They all have great extras, the video and audio are excellent, the artwork on Fear and Loathing stands out, but in the end i watch and enjoy Do the Right Thing the most.
Old 04-28-03, 01:01 AM

I have them all and have watched them many times. I would go, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas first, then Do the Right Thing rounded out by Straw Dogs.

Do the Right Thing is the better of the films but F&LILV has fantastic extras. Hunter Thompson commentary is fun to hear as well as Gilliam's commentary. That is why that movie gets the nod. Straw Dogs has great extras and the movie is really good but misses out by just a bit over the other two titles.

In all seriousness, either of the three discs would be a great addition to the collection. please deposit $.02.
Old 04-28-03, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I would go with Fear and Loathing.

It basically has it all. DTS sound, 3 commentary tracks, an insightful BBC documentary on Thompson, plus loads of other stuff. Best collection of supplements I have seen in a long time.

So far, it's my favorite release this year.
Old 04-28-03, 03:55 AM

I only own Fear and Loathing and Do the Right Thing, and of those two I would choose F&L. It has very good extras and is one of my favorite films of all time. DTRT is an awesome release as well, and an excellent movie which I really enjoyed and am glad to have in my collection. I cannot comment on Straw Dogs unfortunately, but I hope to see it eventually.
Old 04-28-03, 07:41 AM

Since I've seen all three films, but none of them on DVD, I'll base my recommendation on film quality:

Do the Right Thing

It's simply a far, far, better movie than the other two (both of which are great, nonetheless), and is, dare I say it, an important film, too.
Old 04-28-03, 09:06 AM

All three are great movies AND discs. However, I'd second (and third) the folks who said "Do The Right Thing" is the best FILM, and "Fear and Loathing" is the best PRESENTATION. Of course the extras on DTRT aren't skimpy, but the F&LiLV disc is just JAM-PACKED. The Hunter Thompson track alone is worth the cost.
Old 04-28-03, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I also have all three, and I watch Do the Right Thing and Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas way more than I do Straw Dogs, but they're all good.

I think the Hunter Thompson commentary track is way overrated (partly because it's unintelligable most of the time), but the features and film itself are great.

Do the Right Thing has a great Spike Lee commentary (I believe the only Lee commentary on DVD until 25th Hour comes out), and the Making Of... and Cannes press conference are really good. It's a little more "serious" than F&LILV, but just as watchable.

I'd say Do the Right Thing, just because I'm a slightly bigger Spike Lee fan than Terry Gilliam. It's a matter of Spike Lee's 2nd best film (I like Clockers the most) vs. Gilliam's 2nd worst (I think Munchausen kinda sucks, but all his films are pretty great).

Heck. Buy 'em both.
(Buy Straw Dogs, too, it's a great set)
Old 04-28-03, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I say get Straw Dogs first - only because that'll be the first one of these three to go OOP.
Old 04-28-03, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by cupcake jesus

Do the Right Thing has a great Spike Lee commentary (I believe the only Lee commentary on DVD until 25th Hour comes out)

He's got a good commentary for Bamboozled.
Old 04-28-03, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.
Old 04-28-03, 06:41 PM
Rest in Peace

other comment

I have like "Hopscotch" ever since I seen the film and when criterion released it I had to have it. Great cast including Walter Mattheau, Herbert Lom, Glynda Jackson, Ned Beaty. Miles Kendig doing a impression of Eleanor Roosevelt has me ROTFLMAO every time, way to go Criterion!
Old 04-28-03, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by wendersfan
Since I've seen all three films, but none of them on DVD, I'll base my recommendation on film quality:

Do the Right Thing

It's simply a far, far, better movie than the other two (both of which are great, nonetheless), and is, dare I say it, an important film, too.

exactly my opinion as well.....