Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

West Side Story: Problem removing sticker from package?

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-03, 08:05 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I picked up the WSS:SE yesterday at my friendly neighborhood Wal-Mart (the disc had a $28.88 price sticker, but the bin said $24.97 or thereabouts. So I brought it to the checkout girl, and sure enough, it was $24.97. Huzzah!) but have had trouble removing the paper stuck to the back of the box. Normally these things are attached with that rubbery adhesive which is very easy to remove. However, as I VERRRRRY SLOOOOWLY tried to remove this paper, it started tearing my box!!! Eventually I gave up. The paper is still stuck to the back, and the box has two white tears where the paper is attached.

So, it may seem like an overreaction, but: do you think MGM will replace the box? Has anyone else had this problem? Again, it may seem silly, but I'm kind of a stickler about keeping the packaging in nice shape. And it's not like I just ripped the thing off. I tried VERY carefully to remove it, and it still tore the box.

Anyone else have this problem?
Old 04-24-03, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not here. Trying heating the back with a hair dryer which should loosen it.
Old 04-24-03, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Mine came off very easily
Old 04-24-03, 11:00 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mine came right off. Was stuck on with "rubber cement."

You should try returning it to Wal-Mart first. I have returned DVDs there for a broken spindle and they didn't give me any hassle.

Brad
Old 04-24-03, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Something about Wal-Mart and this set... My GF picked it up there and noticed the exact same thing. However, it was not the box that was ripping, it was the paper - making it look like the box. We removed it and then worked the paper off - which was on with some el-crap-o glue, not the rubber kind. It's fine now, not spit shine mint condition, but it's fine.
Old 04-24-03, 01:00 PM

Originally posted by Johnny Zhivago
Something about Wal-Mart and this set... My GF picked it up there and noticed the exact same thing. However, it was not the box that was ripping, it was the paper - making it look like the box. We removed it and then worked the paper off - which was on with some el-crap-o glue, not the rubber kind. It's fine now, not spit shine mint condition, but it's fine.
Thanks! When I saw it tearing, I left it alone, for fear of tearing it further. I'm betting that it was also the paper tearing on mine, and not the box. I will give it a try when I get home. Hopefully this will be the case. If not, I'll try to return it to Wal-Mart. Normally these things aren't a problem at all (like I said, it's usually that rubber cement type stuff that rubs right off) but this time it seemed like actual GLUE. Gah.

Thanks to all for your comments!
Old 04-24-03, 02:35 PM

Whoa! Sure am glad I didn't have MINE do that.... The paper on mine came right off with no problem.

WHAT a companion book this DVD has, ey? I can't think of anything else they possibly could have included.
Old 04-24-03, 02:57 PM

Originally posted by BYork
Whoa! Sure am glad I didn't have MINE do that.... The paper on mine came right off with no problem.

WHAT a companion book this DVD has, ey? I can't think of anything else they possibly could have included.
Couldn't agree more. Aside from the sticking paper ordeal, I couldn't be more pleased with this set, especially for the price!
Old 04-24-03, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

bought mine yesterday at walmart too!! no problems at all with removing it. I borrowed an employee discount card and saved 15 bucks by getting this along with the Bruce Lee collection and a few from the 5.88 bin.
Old 04-24-03, 04:23 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
No problem removing the paper from my box - just had a problem with the box being flimsy. There's already a thread (or two or three) about the crappy packaging. Otherwise this is a great set.
Old 04-24-03, 04:29 PM

Mine cost $9.60....THANK you, Columbia House!

....you can imagine how pleased I am with it for THAT price. I wish all Special Editions had a companion book like this one did. Something like it for Singin' in the Rain sure would have been nice, for instance.