Community
Search

Fox 'Transporter' may be a good compromise

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-03, 01:11 AM
tyg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fox 'Transporter' may be a good compromise

Although other companies have released both WS and Pan & Scan on the same disc, fox has different special features on both sides of the disc. I think this will not only avoid having the same content on both sides but might also get viewers to watch and compare the difference between wide screen and Pan and Scan and maybe make him realized what he's missing. But if the person is not convinced he can still enjoy full screen as well as the person who likes wide screen. Let's not forget that if ever we have a long movie and lots of special features, this could be evenly distributed on both sides.
Old 04-24-03, 03:41 AM

heh - search for the usual suspects.

This has been discussed many times, and the consensus (as far as I have read) seems to agree that the full screen side is a waste, it is an annoyance to flip the dvd just to get a different menu of special features, and people dislike the fact that double sided disks can get smudged quite easily.

That said - Transporter is not any new kind of compromise. Many disks that have come before it have done exactly the same thing. Having the special features content on both sides doesn't matter - there were not many features to speak of, and any possible space remaining on a disk is wasted if it isn't used.

And for your last comment - read the thread on Dances with Wolves Extended Edition. Regardless of the use of disk space for the movie, what good is it to break up the special features? Just to make users jump thru (tiny) hoops just to see a few more tiny featurettes? I think "even distribution" is horrible idea. Give me a useful menu system and a list of features any day.
Old 04-24-03, 05:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think some other DVDs have done a better job of providing both fullscreen and widescreen (but, of course, I prefer widescreen):

Shrek/Who Framed Roger Rabbit: Disc 1 - Full Screen with "kiddie" special features; Disc 2 - Widescreen with commentary and making-of featurettes

Monsters Inc.: Disc 1 - Widescreen and Full Screen with commentary; Disc 2 - All of the featurettes

If you gotta have both widescreen and fullscreen then either of these ways are acceptable. I certainly don't like double-sided DVDs.
Old 04-24-03, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The thing that cracks me up is that the menu on the fullscreen side is in anamorphic widescreen.

Doesn't make much sense to me.
Old 04-24-03, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
On the one hand, I wish they would put out both versions, and not have these flipper discs. On the other hand, if they did this, my video rental store would only buy the P&S, so I wouldn't watch many movies. On yet another hand (I have three, doncha know), if that would have happened, I wouldn't have rented this stinker of a movie (last time I listen to CineSchlock-O-Rama review - 3.5 *s? ).