Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

My Fair Lady - is currently being sold in a blasted snap-case

Old 04-23-03, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This is one of my favorite movies from when I was a kid - my father was one of the first in Manhattan to have cable television, and I was only allowed to watch one channel - HBO. That was channel H, I believe. Anyway, My Fair Lady was being shown a lot during this period (you can tell cable was new because after the first half of the movie, there was a 15 minute intermission before the second half was shown. In between the 15 minutes, there was a sign that said intermission with a loud buzzing noise) and I got into it, mainly because I had no choice. I liked it, alas, and have liked it ever since - to the surprise of my wife.

Anyway, I'm reluctant to buy the DVD because it is being packaged in the worst packaging ever - SNAP-CASE!! Are there any plans on a re-release for this fine movie? In a keep-case, perhaps?
Old 04-23-03, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I hate snappers too, but if you let that keep you from buying a DVD you really want, you're nuts.
Old 04-23-03, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Buy Movie
Get regular case
Ptint coverart, see http://dvdcoverart.com/dvdcoverart/showitem.php?id=958
Switch and you are done!!!
Old 04-23-03, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by neiname
Buy Movie
Get regular case
Ptint coverart, see http://dvdcoverart.com/dvdcoverart/showitem.php?id=958
Switch and you are done!!!
Yeah, does anyone actually keep snappers anymore? You can also take apart the snapper case and cut it to fit a keep case, somewhat but somtimes it hard to close.
Old 04-23-03, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I keep snappers because I don't think it's worth the trouble for as many DVDs as I have. I am trying to convince my wife to let me rebuy in Austin Powers 1 and 2 in keepcases, no luck so far.

And to the original poster, as Warner Bros has an interest in the company that makes the snappers, don't expect a change anytime soon.
Old 04-23-03, 09:11 PM

never understood the disgust with snappers. passing on a film because of it's case is well....insane. I know the faults of the snapper....but I've not had any problem.
Old 04-23-03, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just got my copy from Columbia House today.

I did care about snappers when I didn't have many DVDs, but I've long gotten over it.

If WB keeps giving me good (sometimes great) releases of movies I love at excellent prices, I'm not going to complain about snappers.

Edit: Thread inspired me to count. With the two I got today, I've got 61 movies in snappers.
Old 04-23-03, 11:45 PM

Warner said in the HTF chat the other night that there are no plans to get rid of snappers in Region 1 anytime soon.

I just live with them. Which is easier to do since Warner has been giving us some high-quality discs of late. I'd rather have one of their films on DVD in a snapper than most of the crap that Artisan puts out in keepcases (talking quality of DVD here, not quality of movie).
Old 04-24-03, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by gutwrencher
never understood the disgust with snappers. passing on a film because of it's case is well....insane. I know the faults of the snapper....but I've not had any problem.
My fault with the snappers is that they do not sit uniformly with the keep-cases. They stick out a bit, and it makes the set-up look untidy and/or pecular.

yes, I'm insane

I will try the above suggestion, and if this proves to be a winner, I will have to do it for all of my snapper movies.
Old 04-24-03, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by gutwrencher

Agreed. Snappers don't bother me in the least, and I can't figure out why people make such a big to-do about them.
Old 04-24-03, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Buttmunker
My fault with the snappers is that they do not sit uniformly with the keep-cases. They stick out a bit, and it makes the set-up look untidy and/or pecular.

So move all the snappers to their own shelf where they will then be unifrom and tidy...

Reason #1 why I organize my DVDs by case type, the snapper... But I'll be damned if it's going to keep me from owning WB DVDs.
Old 04-24-03, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Call me whatever, but I like to keep the DVD's either in alphabetical order, or in sets. This is where the problem comes in. FYI - I do have them currently on their own shelf, but that's not how I would prefer it.
Old 04-24-03, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Not buying a favorite movie because it comes in a snapper case is pretty ridiculous. That's like not wanting to bang Salma Hayek because she's wearing a potato sack.
Old 04-24-03, 02:21 PM

all my snaps are mixed in with cases, boxes and whatever. I dont alpha....but pretty much go by genre. the snaps may stick out a tiny bit....but not enough to disrupt how it looks. hell, you wouldnt want to see my book collection....where every book almost is a different size!!
Old 04-24-03, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Don't get me wrong - I've bought plenty of movies in snapper cases (hence the problem I have), but in regards to My Fair Lady, if there was going to be a repackaged version in the not-too-distant future, I'd wait. Since there isn't, I will buy the lousy snapper-case. And live with it.

Hell, I did it for L.A. Confidential, A Year Without A Santa Claus, Dolores Claiborne, and The Green Mile.
Old 04-24-03, 04:30 PM

Originally posted by Matt Millheiser
That's like not wanting to bang Salma Hayek because she's wearing a potato sack.
Quote of the month!
Old 04-24-03, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I honestly believe that snappers will be here to stay not because most of us dislike them. But because its harder for individuals to bootleg/create their own snappers and have the coverart on the cardboard boxes. To many DVDs on Fleabay are bootleged and even a few are DVDr.

If a DVD differentiates from the regular keep case and the regular coversheet in essence it makes it tougher to bootleg. Which I'm dead set against (bootlegging). I just wish FLEAbay would police themselves or the studios would police FLEAbay better.

or maybe just maybe WARNER Brothers has stock in and/or owns snap on snap off the snappers.

Last edited by sm8680; 04-24-03 at 08:26 PM.
Old 04-24-03, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

or maybe just maybe WARNER Brothers has stock in and/or owns snap on snap off the snappers.
*DING DING DING DING DING DING*
Old 04-24-03, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Warner recently spun-off the snapper manufacturer into its own separate company.

I find the constant obsession with snapper cases to be pretty amusing. Very weird priorities that some people have...

DJ