Reload this Page >

The Two Towers: Collectors, Completists, & Everything In-Between

Community
Search

The Two Towers: Collectors, Completists, & Everything In-Between

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-03, 08:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll be picking up both versions, mainly because I love the films, but also because I don't mind supporting works that I enjoy this much, that show real vision and depth while packing huge entertainment value.

Granted, the studios will probably misinterpret this as "hey, these suckers will buy two DVDs with different bells 'n whistles" rather than the correct "people will dig deeper for quality material".

I'd think the obvious set of bookends for TTT gift set would be, um, a pair of certain towers.
Old 04-24-03, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I got both. The first because I couldn't wait and I keep it because I let friends borrow it. The EE doesn't leave the house. I got the bookends but with TT I will just get the straight EE and not the gift set. At least I hope I will.
Old 04-24-03, 11:04 AM

Just the Extended version for me. I don't care for extras though.
Old 04-24-03, 11:28 AM

Definitely the EE on release date for me. I'll propably rent the Theatrical cut and might buy it at a later date when it's in a sale or something.
Old 04-24-03, 12:10 PM

I got both of the Fellowship releases, and plan to do the same for TT and ROTK.
Old 04-24-03, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I bought the 2 disc Fellowship used at Blockbuster and bought the Extended when it came out. Probably do the same here, or just hold off on the 2 disc althogether.
Old 04-24-03, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

EE only for me. I may rent the theatrical if I just can't hold out.
Old 04-24-03, 12:48 PM

I will buy both as I did for FOTR for this reason: The EE is good to watch once just to see the new footage and it has great extras. But if I feel like watching the movie again, I don't need all the extra scenes, so I will watch the theatrical version.
Old 04-24-03, 01:22 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just the Extended Edition for me.

I don't care about extras that much, and I can always rent the SE in August to watch the extras. Plus I'm postive I'll never be able to watch the theatrical cut after watching the EE just like with FOTR.
Old 04-24-03, 01:30 PM

I'll be picking up both versions. &nbsp I can't wait for the EE! &nbsp
Old 04-24-03, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Probably just the EE version. I had the theatrical release of FOTR, but recently sold and upgraded to the EE version (which i have yet to watch...i know i know.) I'll only buy TTT if it's REALLY cheap....
Old 04-24-03, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
Both, just like with FOTR.

P.S. This would have made a good poll.
Old 04-24-03, 04:05 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Originally posted by uteotw
Both, just like with FOTR.

P.S. This would have made a good poll.
And so it has:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=288273
Old 04-24-03, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Probably just wait for the EE.
Old 04-24-03, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'll buy both ... one to watch right away and the other to enjoy the hordes of extras
Old 04-24-03, 06:11 PM

This thread is full of collectors apparently. I don't appreciate studios double-dipping in my wallet this way, so I will only get the EE. I was patient the first time around and only got the extended version, which didn't take anything away from the first edition, only added a little more to it. I expect this to be the case here, extras not necessarily withstanding.
Old 04-24-03, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by hysterik
This thread is full of collectors apparently. I don't appreciate studios double-dipping in my wallet this way, so I will only get the EE. I was patient the first time around and only got the extended version, which didn't take anything away from the first edition, only added a little more to it. I expect this to be the case here, extras not necessarily withstanding.
Not exactly pointing this at you hysterik.

Is it really "double-dipping" if they tell us there are two releases months ahead of time? I see nothing wrong with what Jackson and New Line are doing. Actually, I very much appreciate it. Think of it in the terms of Star Wars.

Many SW fans only want the OT first and formost and then "maybe" have Lucas include the re-released SE's. Lord knows what us SW fans will get if anything. GL may choose to release a barebones first of each version, then a year later release both versions in SE's. That is a textbook example of double dipping in my book. Not saying this will happen, but it has happened with many releases before such as Army of Darkness as everyone always points out time and time again.

Now Jackson can satisify film purists (theatrical) and also have his longer version (Extended) available at around the same time. Personally, I love having the option to have either version I want.
I will buy both not just b/c I collect dvds, but b/c I feel both versions of this film deserve a spot in my home theater.
Old 04-24-03, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Call me crazy, but I have just waited to buy the box when the movies all come out, this isn't like Star Wars, I am almost 120% an ultimate box set will be out by Christmastime 2004.
Old 04-24-03, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Brain Stew
this isn't like Star Wars, I am almost 120% an ultimate box set will be out by Christmastime 2004.
That was the very point of my post. This isn't like Star Wars. We know how the LOTR is being released right now, not in 2 years.

Now If you want to predict the future then I can tell you most of the big name films such as LOTR will probably be released 100 times over in the next few decades in different formats or whatevers popular. Why spend your life waiting???
Old 04-24-03, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

EE only for me
Old 04-25-03, 12:35 AM
Cool New Member

Originally posted by EricBill

I concur 100%. I love the argonaut bookends in the FotR "gift set", though I probably won't ever remove them from the packaging. I wonder what kind of cool promotional item might be included with The Two Towers? Treebeard bookends, maybe? If it's half as nice as the FotR gift set presentation, I'll be happy to lay out the extra $$ for it.
Here Here! I'm VERY interested to find out if there will be a similar 5 DVD Gift Set.

I will certainly buy both versions as I did for FOTR.
Old 04-25-03, 07:22 AM
Banned

I will only be buying the extended edition.

The extended edition of THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING was a much better film and I can't see myself ever wanting to see the shorter version again.

I see no reason to expect anything less from the next two films.

As for the extras... The extras on the extended edition were so extensive, I just can't imagine that I missed anything important with the first release....
Old 04-25-03, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I will definitely be getting both

Last edited by roger_d; 04-25-03 at 01:00 PM.
Old 04-25-03, 01:23 PM

I'll be doing what I did the last go around:

Go to Hollywood Video around 8 p.m. on the day that The Two Towers debuts for rent and get my free rental rain check (since all copies will have already been rented and the movie will be on their "guaranteed in stock" list). Then I will rent the movie at my leisure to see the movie again and check out the goodies, with the most important being the preview of ROTK. Then, I'll buy the extended version when it comes out. Call me crazy.

-Loc Nar
Old 04-25-03, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 144 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally posted by Loc Nar
I'll be doing what I did the last go around:

Go to Hollywood Video around 8 p.m. on the day that The Two Towers debuts for rent and get my free rental rain check (since all copies will have already been rented and the movie will be on their "guaranteed in stock" list). Then I will rent the movie at my leisure to see the movie again and check out the goodies, with the most important being the preview of ROTK. Then, I'll buy the extended version when it comes out. Call me crazy.

-Loc Nar
That's not crazy, that's a damn good plan! I think I'll try it.