Family Guy commentaries

Old 04-23-03, 03:30 PM

Family Guy commentaries

i apologize if this has been posted 251617 times before...

http://www.damnyouall.net/cgi-bin/ik...=ST;f=22;t=140

discussion re: the missing 20 commentary tracks, and how the included 8 have been edited.

it may be time to start pestering FOX, Bart & Lisa style:

"can you give us the commentaries?"

"no."

"can you give us the commentaries?" (ad infinitum)
Old 04-23-03, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If it wasn't for them swearing while doing the voices of the family the commentaries would of been competely worthless.

It's very clear that a few of the gaps were censored since they start up again mid sentence. I don't see why they are hacked up if there is a disclamier on the DVD. That's just plain stupid. I bet if they were left alone I would of found them far more interesting.
Old 04-23-03, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

got this from the link above.
http://tv.zap2it.com/news/tvnewsdaily.html?30960

which says....

Consisting of 28 episodes -- including two of MacFarlane's favorites: "Death Is a Bitch" and "Road to Rhode Island" -- MacFarlane, assorted writers and some of the show's vocal talent (including Alex Borstein and Seth Green) provide commentary for eight of them. However, MacFarlane says they recorded tracks for them all, meaning there's 20-episodes worth out there waiting to be bootlegged.

"Most of them were deemed too offensive for the home video audience, if you can believe that," he laughs. "I never really understood why -- there was a lot of stuff on the commentary that would have passed legal on the network front, so I'm not quite sure what went wrong there."

The other article....

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/articles/seth.cfm

mentions....

Interviewer : What did you think of the DVD set? I'm assuming that you've seen it.

Seth : I thought they did a fantastic job. I actually didn't have a whole lot to do with the packaging, I didn't have anything to do with that. We went in and did commentary.

Interviewer : How was that?

Seth : That was fun, it was just pure enjoyment.

Interviewer : You guys didn't talk enough!

Seth : Well, they actually cut a lot of stuff out.

Interviewer : Really?

Seth : Yeah, we were pretty much yakking from start to finish and there was a lot edited for content, which I don't really understand on a DVD release because it's strictly for the fans. That would be my only complaint about how the release was handled, but otherwise the transfers were incredibly crisp, the colors look great, the sound is great and the way they packaged it, I think they did a really terriffic job.
Old 04-23-03, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Rypro 525
Seth : but otherwise the transfers were incredibly crisp, the colors look great, the sound is great and the way they packaged it, I think they did a really terriffic job.
What? Did he see the final dvds?
Old 04-23-03, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by RyoHazuki7
I'm sure he did. If you're talking about the problems I think you are, those are inherent to the Family Guy series; they have nothing to do with DVD. It's mostly due to the fact that FG was one of the first digitally-animated shows, combined with some mistakes by the overseas animators. The same problems were there in the broadcast versions, but because the DVD transfer is so clean, it makes the issues much more noticeable. There is some edge enhancement, but as a whole they did a good job.
Old 04-24-03, 12:57 AM

Originally posted by RyoHazuki7
*cough*

Originally posted by Rarehero
Hey guys, I've seen a lot of badmouthing about the new Family Guy DVD. I just wanna set the record straight here. The "jaggies", "pixelly lines" and other such flaws are NOT due to a bad DVD transfer. In fact, the DVD transfer is SO good that the problems from the original broadcast masters just become that much more apparant. I used to work on the show, and I have tapes from the broadcast masters....all that stuff is there on my tapes. It was always there, it will always be there. Family Guy was one of the first digital TV shows, and there were some kinks during the first season. Some were due to overseas animation problems, others were due to trying to extend scenes and beats by "pausing" the footage in post. I wonder if the DVD reviewers watched the whole set...the majority of the problems are localized in the first episode, with occasional problems in the rest of the first season eps. If you take a look at the second season produced eps like E Peterbus Unum or Wasted Talent, they look pretty much flawless.

The only thing to really be sore about is the editing of the Bin Laden gag from Road to Rhode Island.......but knowing that the SOURCE is the reason for video flaws, and not a poor DVD transfer - Family Guy fans who are on the fence should know that this is the BEST Family Guy is capable of looking, and I'm pretty happy w/ the set (28 eps, perfectly mastered for $35...c'mon!) Enjoy!

(I'm suprised I didn't hear more complaints about the Simpsons DVDs - which were shot on film....the DVDs have some pretty horrid digital restoration which resulted in lots of background linework getting mucked up. Take a look..those broken and fade lines should NOT look like that)

Rarehero
Old 04-24-03, 07:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

They need to just release these for download or something, in mp3 format.

That way we could just download them, and convert them to wav files if you wanted to.
Old 04-24-03, 08:54 AM

nuts! commentary is one of the things i was really looking forward to in this set. i'll still pick it up, and if they get around to releasing the full commentary in any form i'll pick that up too.
Old 04-24-03, 10:45 AM

I would like to upset about this, but the bottom line is, I haven't listened to the commentaries on the SIMPSONS or South Park (on CD).
Old 04-24-03, 11:19 AM

i dunno... i love my commentaries, esp the Simpsons and Futurama ones. it really upsets me as a FG fan to read that so much insight went missing.

just another in the long line of asinine FOX decisions.
Old 04-24-03, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So much went missing, I'm wondering why they even bothered to include commentaries! Seems like they're going 5 minutes without saying anything! (2nd episode on disk2)

Nothing they said could be more offensive than what the characters are saying on the actual show!
Old 04-24-03, 08:30 PM

Truly mind-boggling.
Old 05-29-03, 01:37 PM

Has anyone heard any news on the complete comentaries coming out?
Old 05-29-03, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Forget the commentaries! The US release of Family Guy has THREE scenes that are censored in the ACTUAL EPISODES!!! The UK release has 2 of those 3 censored and one left intact.
Old 05-29-03, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The commentaries that are included are horrible IMO. I listened to a few of them, and was very dissapointed. No desire to hear anymore of them...
Old 05-29-03, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Simpsons & South park commentaries are very good. The Family Guy commentaries are just okay. I'd rather just watch the episodes. Wow, I cant wait for Volume 2, sooo many funny episodes.
Old 05-30-03, 03:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If we could get unexpurgated versions, along with the commentaries for episodes that were just plain left out, I'd be happy as hell.

The Futurama commentaries are pretty rockin'.
Old 05-30-03, 04:12 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Class316
Forget the commentaries! The US release of Family Guy has THREE scenes that are censored in the ACTUAL EPISODES!!!
Well, at least one was removed due to request by Seth MacFarlane (the Osama bin Laden one).
Old 05-30-03, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by BJacks
Well, at least one was removed due to request by Seth MacFarlane (the Osama bin Laden one).
Nor this nor the other two were removed die to his request. It was all Fox. However, thanks to the Internet these scenes will never be lost because you will always be able to get them from the Internet. And on the net, the people that distribute them do NOT take the extra step to butcher them!
Old 05-30-03, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
And on the net, the people that distribute them do NOT take the extra step to butcher them!
But they also don't take the extra step of paying the talent involved. Not that I really care, these scenes shouldn't be lost.
Old 05-30-03, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by majorjoe23
Not that I really care, these scenes shouldn't be lost.
right. The people involved when this extra step is taken don't care to release intact footage, why should I care to take this step?
Old 05-30-03, 02:19 PM

Nor this nor the other two were removed die to his request. It was all Fox. However, thanks to the Internet these scenes will never be lost because you will always be able to get them from the Internet. And on the net, the people that distribute them do NOT take the extra step to butcher them!
No, he has stated that the Bin Laden seen was removed because he asked for it to be removed, if you want to hate on Fox or whatever, don't buy this set, or the next Family Guy set.
Old 05-30-03, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Dacoops3
No, he has stated that the Bin Laden seen was removed because he asked for it to be removed
So what if Osama bin Laden asked to be taken off the box set? We shouldn't allow terrorists to censor our DVDs.

That was a joke, by the way.
Old 05-30-03, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Dacoops3
No, he has stated that the Bin Laden seen was removed because he asked for it to be removed, if you want to hate on Fox or whatever, don't buy this set, or the next Family Guy set.
You couldn't be more wrong.

Read this interview with Seth and you'll see that he had nothing to do with the removal of those scenes:

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/articles/seth.cfm
Old 05-30-03, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

From the interview:

- What did you think of the DVD set? I'm assuming that you've seen it.

I thought they did a fantastic job. I actually didn't have a whole lot to do with the packaging, I didn't have anything to do with that. We went in and did commentary.

- How was that?

That was fun, it was just pure enjoyment.

- You guys didn't talk enough!

Well, they actually cut a lot of stuff out.

- Really?

Yeah, we were pretty much yakking from start to finish and there was a lot edited for content, which I don't really understand on a DVD release because it's strictly for the fans. That would be my only complaint about how the release was handled, but otherwise the transfers were incredibly crisp, the colors look great, the sound is great and the way they packaged it, I think they did a really terriffic job.

- I noticed "Road to Rhode Island"...there's some footage missing; an Osama bin Laden joke was cut.

There was some debate over that. I kinda stayed out of that debate because I didn't really have a strong opinion one way or the other. There are arguments for keeping it in and arguments for taking it out. The argument to keep it in is that's how the show aired and it was broadcast this way and it aired two years before September 11, and so there's a bit of entertainment historical value there. And obviously the argument for taking it out was that because it was one of the biggest tragedies, there was some thought that it might bring down the rest of the episode when that comes up. There was some thought at one point of putting it on separately at the end, and that was really...I guess it was a legal decision that Fox made to leave it out. It's unfortunate in that it's a part of the episode that was produced and was aired and is sort of gone forever, but it's a small loss in the grand scheme of things.

- Now, you were almost involved in that whole tragedy...

Yeah, that came up at one point. I said, "Look, I'm probably as close to that incident as anybody at Fox." There was one point where I was arguing to keep that scene in. Yeah, I was booked on that flight and I was drinking the night before and hung over and I missed the plane by about 10 minutes. It was a very close call for me.

- How has that affected you?

The only reason it hasn't really affected me as it maybe could have is I didn't really know that I was in any danger until after it was over, so I never had that panic moment. After the fact it was sobering but people have a lot of close calls; you're crossing the street and you almost get hit by a car....this one just happened to be related to something massive. I really can't let it affect me because I'm a comedy writer. I have to put that in the back of my head.

- Well, I'm glad you got drunk the night before.

Yeah, alcohol is our friend. I think that's the moral of that story.

- Yeah, drinking can save your life.

Absolutely.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.