Community
Search

Speed Racer DVD

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-03, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Speed Racer DVD

I saw in Best Buy's ad that a Speed Racer DVD is coming out. Any idea of what is on it?
Old 04-21-03, 08:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I read where it is supposed to be the first 11 episodes. I hope that is the case. I used to love watching this cartoon. Speed Racer Rocks.
Old 04-21-03, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
Let's hope that it is more reasonably priced than the previous release.
Old 04-21-03, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think the ad said $12.99 Pretty good price for 11 episodes.
Old 04-21-03, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
From Amazon:

One of the first "Japanimation" series to air in the U.S., Speed Racer (Mach Go Go Go) debuted in syndication in September 1967. Eighteen-year-old Speed Racer wants to become a race car driver, but his father, automotive engineer "Pops" Racer, "blows a gasket" at the idea. Pops, who designed the amazing Mach 5, relents when Speed demonstrates his extraordinary driving skills. He embarks on a series of fantastic adventures that pit him and his friends against Skull Duggery, Snake Oiler, Mr. Wiley, and the Alpha Gang. With their wide chins, large mouths, and small eyes, the Speed Racer characters reflect the influence of contemporary Hanna-Barbara series, rather than the indigenous style the Japanese animation industry would later develop. Members of Gen-X who grew up watching the original show will enjoy this "collector's edition" that offers the first 11 episodes, a theme song sing-along, a villains' gallery, and an interactive demonstration of controls of the Mach 5 .

Sounds good if you're a fan of the show.
Old 04-21-03, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It also has 'limited edition' "rubber tire" packaging.

I pre-ordered it from DDD for $12.22; it shipped last Wednesday.

Rob
Old 04-21-03, 03:36 PM

I cancelled my DDD order and purchased from Columbiahouse before I heard of the rubber packaging, hope they ship the LE. The old disc is oop(probably not too hard to find) and had only 3 episodes, but included commentary by Speed and Trixie's voice actors during at least one episode.
Old 04-21-03, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
It's a nice looking set from a packaging standpoint.
Old 04-22-03, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by RobCA
I pre-ordered it from DDD for $12.22; it shipped last Wednesday.
Same here

Can hardly wait!!
Old 04-22-03, 12:44 AM

$12.99 for 11 episodes of Anime thats cheap. I might pick it up for that price even though it is dub only and I'm a sub fan.
Old 04-22-03, 03:28 AM
Banned

It's not a bad disc in spite of the lack of subs etc.. I'm working on watching the eps now and should have a review online soon. I'll post the link as soon as it's up.
Old 04-22-03, 04:46 AM

Originally posted by Surf Monkey
It's not a bad disc in spite of the lack of subs etc.. I'm working on watching the eps now and should have a review online soon. I'll post the link as soon as it's up.
Well, in the case of Speed Racer subtitles might fill up the entire screen. =) There's no Japanese audio track, is there? That's kinda too bad. But anyway half the reason I like the show is the "unique" translation into English...
Old 04-22-03, 11:04 AM
Banned

Originally posted by btribble
Well, in the case of Speed Racer subtitles might fill up the entire screen. =) There's no Japanese audio track, is there? That's kinda too bad. But anyway half the reason I like the show is the "unique" translation into English...
Yeah, I completely agree. The dub actors are a huge part of the charm of the show. By the same token I would have loved to hear the original japanese tracks.
Old 04-23-03, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
Wow! Trixie is the greatest wife in the world! (I already knew that...but here's some more proof )....
...she went out to run some errands, stopped at Costco, saw the Speed Racer DVD and picked it up...

I'm not big on gimmick cases, but I have to admit the rubber tire tread cover is pretty cool.

($14.99 at Costco)

Last edited by sracer; 04-23-03 at 05:19 PM.
Old 04-23-03, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I own both the Limited Edition Boxed set, and now the new Rubber Cover LE and the picture quality between the two are pretty much identical. I am going to check the sound tonight. I think the new rubber tire release is done in stereo sound because I could have sworn I heard sound coming from the front L and R speakers. The menus are straight forward, simple. There is a bonus clip of the newer Americanized Speed Racer series and not much else. There is some interesting trivia about how the dubbing process was done, and some info on the villains in the series. Still a great disk for the price! And that fresh tire rubber smell is nice

The limited edition box set included interviews with the voice actor who did Speeds voice(along with several others in the series), and included the Volkswagen commercial, a new Japanese Episode(dubbed), and a music video of the Speed Racer Theme Song. If you can grab either version, get them!
Old 04-23-03, 07:33 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Does anyone else remember the "Alpha Team" remix of Speed Racer from a few (close to 10 now, I guess) years ago? So much fun, expecially the smutty remix with Speed and Trixie... enjoying each other's company.
Old 04-23-03, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yes, I remember. That remix was so wrong, yet funny.
Old 04-24-03, 04:11 AM

Yeah, I actually bought the CD single of Alpha Team's 'Speed'. "Oh Speed, Speed!" Good stuff. :-)

Here's something obscure, did anyone ever catch the short Speed Racer spoof on MTV's Cartoon Sushi? No? I didn't think so. But it was funny.
Old 04-24-03, 04:21 AM
duz
DVD Talk Special Edition

I like the Dexters Lab spoof.
Old 04-24-03, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yes, THE MARK FIVE!!!

RACER-D!! That episode is priceless!
Old 04-24-03, 04:13 PM

Originally posted by jessecrx
There is a bonus clip of the newer Americanized Speed Racer series and not much else.
HOLY MOLY that was horrible!!! What did they do to the Mach 5?!?!?!? He fought aliens? Bird men? Wha? Glad I nevery sullied my eyes with that garbage.

I wish I could see some of the original Japanese episodes as, from what I've read, they were much more violent than the american eps. It also sounds like the scripts weren't really translated, they just put in words that fit the mouth movements and sort of made sense to what was going on on-screen.

I'm enjoying the dvd but wish they included better bonus materials. They have text saying how the song was changed and would have been cool to include the Japanese theme. I downloaded it off the net but it isn't the same. Some other text screens on why there is an M on the car and on Speed's helmet would have been welcome. Even moreso, why Speed has a G on his shirt! (For those who want to know, my research tells me that in Japan Speed's name is Go Mifune, hence the G on shirt and M on Helmet/Mach 5.)

Here's the translation of the Japanse song lyrics (can't vouch for accuracy, just pulled them from the web) It has the same general tune as the American version:
(Even wind shivers at the hair pin curves, young life go, go, go)
(White body Mach machine, pride and courage)
(If it starts running, won't get behind)
(Mach go, go!)
(Mach go, go!)
(Mach go, go, go!)
(Step on the accelerator till earth's end, young power go, go, go)
(Number five Mach machine, everyone watch its power)
(Chest is burning with energy)
(Let's go good people's highway)
(Mach go, go!)
(Mach go, go!)
(Mach go, go, go!)
Old 04-24-03, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I wish I could see some of the original Japanese episodes as, from what I've read, they were much more violent than the american eps. It also sounds like the scripts weren't really translated, they just put in words that fit the mouth movements and sort of made sense to what was going on on-screen.
On the interview with Peter Fernandez on the Speed Boxed Set, he said that he was given translations of the Japanese dialogue but the problem was fitting the translation to sync with the characters screentime and mouth movements as best as possible. He even had to make up the villains names! CRUNCHER BLOCK! ACE DUCEY! KABALA!! If the original Japanese episodes are more violent, I sure would love to see them....even in subtitles! I wonder if there is any dealer that sells these
Old 04-24-03, 06:23 PM

Originally posted by jessecrx
He even had to make up the villains names! CRUNCHER BLOCK! ACE DUCEY! KABALA!!
I like the name of the racer that cheats in episode 1 & 2: Skull Dugery. Didn't pick up on that as a kid.

Here's some Japanese trivia facts:

'Mach Go Go Go' is the Japanese title. 'Go' means 'Five' in Japanese. This is how the American company, Trans Lux, got the name of the Mach 5.

Go Mifune is the original name that Tatsuo Yoshida gave 'Speed'. When the American company, Trans Lux, picked up 'Mach Go Go Go' they retained ONLY the physical series. Trans Lux changed the names and episodes.

When Trans Lux picked up 'Mach Go Go Go', they had to redo all the episodes because the Japanese version was extremely violent.

Daiskee Mifune is Go Mifune's father. Translated into English this simply means that Daiskee Mifune is 'Pops Racer'. Daiskee Mifune created the Mach 5 for Go.

Kenichi Mifune is Go's brother. Kenichi is the 'Masked Racer'.

The creators named the main character after legendary Japanese film star, Toshiro Mifune.

Senpei is Kuo Mifune's pet Chimpanzee. In the American version Senpei is 'Chim Chim'.

'Mach Go Go Go' had a total of 52 episodes airing from 1966 to 1968.

Michi Shimura is Go's girlfriend. Translated to English it simply means that Michi Shumura is 'Trixie', Speed's girlfriend.

Kenichi, who for a complexity of top-secret reasons, was compelled to divorce himself from the rest of the family. Kenichi was even given an implied death sentence from his own government!
Old 04-24-03, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
Thanks so much for the trivia.

I just picked this up at Wally World a few moments ago.

Now I'm psyched about this buy!

I don't remember much about it from my youth (although I own a cool copy of the car).
Old 04-24-03, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by dvdguy
I like the name of the racer that cheats in episode 1 & 2: Skull Dugery. Didn't pick up on that as a kid.

Here's some Japanese trivia facts:

'Mach Go Go Go' is the Japanese title. 'Go' means 'Five' in Japanese. This is how the American company, Trans Lux, got the name of the Mach 5.

Go Mifune is the original name that Tatsuo Yoshida gave 'Speed'. When the American company, Trans Lux, picked up 'Mach Go Go Go' they retained ONLY the physical series. Trans Lux changed the names and episodes.

When Trans Lux picked up 'Mach Go Go Go', they had to redo all the episodes because the Japanese version was extremely violent.

Daiskee Mifune is Go Mifune's father. Translated into English this simply means that Daiskee Mifune is 'Pops Racer'. Daiskee Mifune created the Mach 5 for Go.

Kenichi Mifune is Go's brother. Kenichi is the 'Masked Racer'.

The creators named the main character after legendary Japanese film star, Toshiro Mifune.

Senpei is Kuo Mifune's pet Chimpanzee. In the American version Senpei is 'Chim Chim'.

'Mach Go Go Go' had a total of 52 episodes airing from 1966 to 1968.

Michi Shimura is Go's girlfriend. Translated to English it simply means that Michi Shumura is 'Trixie', Speed's girlfriend.

Kenichi, who for a complexity of top-secret reasons, was compelled to divorce himself from the rest of the family. Kenichi was even given an implied death sentence from his own government!
Awesome post!!! Now, where to find these uncut episodes!!??

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.