Twilight Zone Question

Old 04-21-03, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have been interested in these for a while but have been holding off due to the different releases. If episode order was a big deal I would just print out an online guide.

Heres my real question for those in the know. Which release has more features and which has better picture and sound quality?
Old 04-21-03, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Would it matter that the Gold Collection is DVD-R's, quality-wise? For what it's worth, I have Volumes 1 and 2 of the TZ that were put out a couple years back (the ones that have been condensed into these collection sets) and I was quite happy with the quality.
Old 04-21-03, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I can't imagine paying more money for a knockoff set just because they're in chronological order. It truly does not matter with The Twilight Zone, even though the theme music and opening monologues changed somewhat over the series' run.

If seeing them in order is that important, just buy the less expensive Image collections--and then watch them in order! If you're that into the series, you should also buy the must-have book The Twilight Zone Companion, which has an episode guide and much more.

Last edited by rasalas; 04-21-03 at 11:04 PM.
Old 04-21-03, 10:14 PM
Banned

SOMEONE WHO OWNS THE GOLD COLLECTION PLEASE RESPOND

what special features are on this Gold Collection??? can someone tell me what is on there please? are there more bumpers? and now mr. Serlings? etc.?
Old 04-21-03, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: SOMEONE WHO OWNS THE GOLD COLLECTION PLEASE RESPOND

Originally posted by cinephiler2351
what special features are on this Gold Collection??? can someone tell me what is on there please? are there more bumpers? and now mr. Serlings? etc.?
The "special features" on the Gold Collection are identical to those on the Image discs--"Inside the Twilight Zone" segments, episode reviews, etc. There is no difference in content between the sets. The only difference is that the Gold Collection has the episodes in air-date order, hardly worth the extra money since you can watch the episodes on the less expensive Image discs in the same order if you choose to do so.
Old 04-21-03, 11:35 PM

Re: Re: SOMEONE WHO OWNS THE GOLD COLLECTION PLEASE RESPOND

Originally posted by rasalas
The "special features" on the Gold Collection are identical to those on the Image discs--"Inside the Twilight Zone" segments, episode reviews, etc. There is no difference in content between the sets. The only difference is that the Gold Collection has the episodes in air-date order, hardly worth the extra money since you can watch the episodes on the less expensive Image discs in the same order if you choose to do so.

The GOLD collection are Image Entertainment Discs..... and here are the scans I promissed. If there is anything in particular you want to see, I can try and do a capture. Please excuse the poor quality of the scans... need to upgrade my scanner....

Old 04-21-03, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hmmm.... I'd be more likely to go with Image just based on company name alone.
Old 04-22-03, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
If these are ISSUED by image - where are they available - like from Amazon, etc?

even going to image-entertainment.com - they certainly aren't offered there.
Old 04-22-03, 02:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Re: SOMEONE WHO OWNS THE GOLD COLLECTION PLEASE RESPOND

Originally posted by rasalas

Does this mean that the "extras" from the Image discs were moved onto the final 5 DVDs in the Gold Collection?

THE TWILIGHT ZONE DVD The Gold Collection is comprised of 49 discs which, for the first time ever, are in chronological order of air date by season. There are an additional 5 discs, one for each season, which have additional information and commentary.

Another Universe

That sounds pretty chintzy to me! I'll pick up the Image sets instead.

Andrew
Old 04-22-03, 03:12 AM
Banned

Gold Edition - CD-R?

Are some saying that the Gold Edition DVDs are actually CD-Rs?

Hmm. Not good.
Old 04-22-03, 11:31 AM

Re: Gold Edition - CD-R?

Originally posted by SergeantPinback
Are some saying that the Gold Edition DVDs are actually CD-Rs?

I think you meant DVD-R, but I believe some are saying so. Not my set, mine are pressed DVD just like all the others. The GOLD collection is a good deal, but to each his own. They are both by Image.
Old 04-22-03, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
Re: Re: Gold Edition - CD-R?

Originally posted by dtsmovieguy
I think you meant DVD-R, but I believe some are saying so. Not my set, mine are pressed DVD just like all the others. The GOLD collection is a good deal, but to each his own. They are both by Image.
Why doesn't Image have the Gold collection available on their site if they are by image? Just curious.
Old 04-22-03, 12:57 PM

They are produced by V3Media, take a look at this:

V3 Media

Hope this helps somewhat..............
Old 04-23-03, 07:04 AM
Banned

Here's another question that comes to mind. We all get a damaged DVD every now and then. What are the odds that all 45 of the discs in the GOLD COLLECTION will be ok...? Sounds like a potential nightmare to me......
Old 04-23-03, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

It's funny because I actually on impulse broke down the day before this thread started, and bought all 5 box sets of the Twilight Zone (not in chronological order). I've been watching and watching and the fact knowing they weren't in chronological order did bother me at first when I was watching, but the feeling was short lived. Now I pop in whatever disc I'm on, and watch the eps i need to watch. No problems anymore And it is because of the fact that The Twilight Zone is always different. I'm just happy knowing I have every episode at my disposal.
Old 08-02-03, 09:22 PM

...when you see a bunch of episodes slapped onto a DVD in no particular order for no particular reason, it just cries laziness on the part of whoever made them.
The "no particular reason" part of the above quote is not accurate. Most of the original Image discs are "theme discs" in one way or another. So Image/Panasonic didn't just slap 'em together in any old willy-nilly fashion it seems. There does seem to be a tie-in between each episode on a particular disc.
Old 08-02-03, 11:17 PM

I have "this" gold collection that you are refering too... when I get home I will check into the bonus discs since I've been to busy to watch the episodes yet... if someone posts the info before me, that would be great too....
Old 08-03-03, 09:19 PM

Yesssssssssssssss??!!

Old 08-03-03, 09:21 PM

Upon looking at the info regarding "The Gold Collection", I found several odd errors on that site.

Such as, they claim the series began on October 2, 1958. It actually started on Oct. 2, 1959. With this obvious information at their fingertips, it's strange that they couldn't get the proper inaugural year.

At one point, they're telling us there are 49 discs PLUS 5 additional discs, which would indicate a 54-disc compilation. But, then, it goes on to tell us there are 44 discs containing the episodes, plus another 5 of supplements.

BTW, we still are in the dark as to what these 5 additional discs (one per season according to that website) contain. What the heck is on these supplemental discs??! The 1959 Serling/Wallace interview certainly must be one of the extras. But this would hardly require 5 full discs.

And then there's the following very odd (and completely untrue) statement regarding the original Image DVDs of TZ .......

>> "This set also includes two episodes not previously included in Image Entertainment’s prior or upcoming release. Those episodes are "The Eye of the Beholder" (episode 42) and "An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge" (episode 142)."

Wonder why they're saying this?? For, "Eye Of The Beholder" and "Owl Creek..." were both definitely included in previous Image releases (in the "Treasures" and "More Treasures" DVDs). In fact, "Eye Of The Beholder" was not only released previously, but it was done so TWICE! We have it not only on the "More Treasures" disc, but (for some reason) it's also on Volume #43, under the dual title of "Eye Of..." and "The Private World Of Darkness". (Evidently, Image thought it was important to "double-dip" on this episode simply due to the different title card presented.)

To be misleading potential buyers that they can ONLY get these two particular TZ episodes if they buy this Gold Edition is, in my view, pretty lame on its face!

It's also interesting to note that the episode discs on the Gold Set total 44, one less than the 45 discs on the original release by Image. (I'm guessing this is mainly due to "Eye Of The Beholder" only being presented once in the Gold version. There would certainly be no reason to include it twice. I would guess that that episode was included twice originally to simply "pad" the "More Treasures" disc. For, if it wasn't included, there would have been just 2 episodes on that platter.)

I tried to click the "Order Now" link for the 'Gold' Set, but I get an error each time. Perhaps they've sold all 2,500 copies since being introduced last December 3rd.

Anybody else have this GOLD Edition? More info on quality and those mysterious "Five Bonus Discs" would be welcome by this writer.

Thanks.