Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

VEGGIETALES: Anyone seen these? (Blind Buy?)

Community
Search

VEGGIETALES: Anyone seen these? (Blind Buy?)

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-03, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I really love them myself. My 8 yr old loved them when she was much younger, now she is more into the 321 penguins, which i love as well.
And why do people critisize for a cartoon teaching bible values. Can Christians not have cartoons that teach the basis of their religion. It isn't done in a judgmental way. If some want to call it propaganda, thats there right, though i disagree with that assumption.
Old 04-17-03, 10:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
THEY ROCK!
These are the best childrens movies on the market!
We are Christians, and this is very important to have this sort of stuff
Old 04-17-03, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A good start for a Veggietales "blind buy" would be the recent release of the theatrical film Jonah. The 2-disc set is absolutely *packed* with extra features...
Old 04-17-03, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
VeggieTales are wonderful. You'll love them.
Old 04-17-03, 11:05 AM

The movies themselves are great, and as someone said earlier the songs are hilarious and catchy. I watch one and I have one of the songs on my brain for days after. Somebody remade the Pirates Who Don't Do Anything song and it is quite good. I think it was Reliant K, but I'm not sure. Most kids love em, and I know plenty of adults who love em. I still need to finish watching the commentary track on Jonah. Good puchase in my opinion.

Below is simply opinion so take it with a grain of salt.

Originally posted by paradicelost
And why do people critisize for a cartoon teaching bible values. Can Christians not have cartoons that teach the basis of their religion. It isn't done in a judgmental way. If some want to call it propaganda, thats there right, though i disagree with that assumption.
Well of course not. Only other groups such as homosexuals (not that there's anything wrong with that), Pacifists (a lot of the great war movies are anti-war movies), and environmentalists (Ferngully is a bad example but the only one that hits my mind at the moment) can make movies to support their ideals. (minor sarcasm implied)

I have absolutely no problem with different groups having movies that support what they feel is right. As a matter of fact it's great that they do as this is a free country. Do people attack them for the movies they make? Sure, but movies that try to teach morals based on anything biblical are often criticized more so, simply because of the mention of the Bible or Christianity. We even have a running thread on this board talking about movies geared towards homosexuals and I don't recall seeing anyone bashing anyone for talking about the topic or for the subject matter and that is as it should be.

As has been stated about the Veggietales movies, there is no hidden agenda with them. If you don't want your child to be exposed to these ideas then that's great because you don't have to buy them. It's just annoying to always have someone come out and criticize Veggietales for having anything to do with the Bible.
Old 04-17-03, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
Christian brainwashing propaganda.
You should try actually watching an episode or two before spouting off your nonsense.
Old 04-17-03, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by juiio
You should try actually watching an episode or two before spouting off your nonsense.
my point exactly.
Old 04-17-03, 01:54 PM
Retired

I've seen a couple episodes. They're not hideous or anything. I'm just adamantly opposed to religion, and don't think parents should begin indoctrinating their children at a young age. There's plenty of other ways to teach decent values without involving religion.

But of course they have the freedom to do what they want with their kids.

To me the issue of religion should be a deeply personal one, something everyone should figure out on their own when they're old enough to comprehend the issue.

Stuff like this and taking kids to church pretty much from birth leads to closemindedness as the kids will likely just always believe what their parents believe and never evaluate religion/existence of god on their own. They'll just blindly take it as a given.

I'd never make children's material promoting atheism. If I decide to have kids religion won't be discussed until they're old enough to ask about it on their own. Then I'll simply explain what I believe and why and encourage them to do some searching and come to their own terms with the issue.
Old 04-17-03, 02:55 PM

I've seen a couple episodes. They're not hideous or anything. I'm just adamantly opposed to religion, and don't think parents should begin indoctrinating their children at a young age. There's plenty of other ways to teach decent values without involving religion.

But of course they have the freedom to do what they want with their kids.

To me the issue of religion should be a deeply personal one, something everyone should figure out on their own when they're old enough to comprehend the issue.

Stuff like this and taking kids to church pretty much from birth leads to closemindedness as the kids will likely just always believe what their parents believe and never evaluate religion/existence of god on their own. They'll just blindly take it as a given.

I'd never make children's material promoting atheism. If I decide to have kids religion won't be discussed until they're old enough to ask about it on their own. Then I'll simply explain what I believe and why and encourage them to do some searching and come to their own terms with the issue.
Parents letting their kids make their own decisions is exactly what has led to such incidents as Columbine. I understand your point, but if a person follows teachings such as Christianity it specifically tells them to train up their children. The fact of the matter is that children can't make their own decisions. They don't have the experience to do so. Parents are the stop-gap. We teach our children our values in hopes that they will take the best. Sure religion causes problems but in the long run I feel it does more good.

Edit---------------

Sorry to move off the discussion topic.

Veggietales = Good.

Last edited by Muah'dib; 04-17-03 at 03:19 PM.
Old 04-17-03, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I agree. Furthermore, just because you are taught Judaeo-Christian values, or Buddhist values, or agnostic values when you are a child doesn't mean you won't question those values when you are a teenager or adult. Most everyone I know HAS questioned what they were taught by their parents. Some of it is rejected and some is retained.

Kids are not born knowing right from wrong. Bringing your kids up within the confines of a religion does not mean you will have close-minded kids. It means you are providing your kids a much-needed framework and a viewpoint from which to look at the world and make their own decisions. If they ultimately decide they disagree with that viewpoint, they can find a new one.

I say VeggieTales are pretty cool. They are often laugh out loud funny, and they teach kids about making choices without being didactic.
Old 04-17-03, 03:17 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally posted by MadameTourvel
Kids are not born knowing right from wrong. Bringing your kids up within the confines of a religion does not mean you will have close-minded kids. It means you are providing your kids a much-needed framework and a viewpoint from which to look at the world and make their own decisions.
Kids don't "need" religion. You can teach kids values and morality without the religious framework.

I'm not saying religious people should raise their kids without religion...more power to them. However, I am saying that it is possible to raise to a good kid without it.

Just out of curiousity, IS there an athiest/agnostic equivalent to "Veggie Tales"? I don't mean secular or non-religious kids programming, but stuff specifically aimed at the children of non-believers.
Old 04-17-03, 03:30 PM

Originally posted by Groucho
Kids don't "need" religion. You can teach kids values and morality without the religious framework.

I'm not saying religious people should raise their kids without religion...more power to them. However, I am saying that it is possible to raise to a good kid without it.

Just out of curiousity, IS there an athiest/agnostic equivalent to "Veggie Tales"? I don't mean secular or non-religious kids programming, but stuff specifically aimed at the children of non-believers.
I honestly don't know if there is such programming. Maybe you should invent it.

I never once said that religion is "needed." I'm only addressing the notion that religion=brainwashing, that seems so prevalent today. Many people feel as Josh that you shouldn't even mention religion to young children. Religion in and of itself is not bad as so many people believe. We do see extremes of it and yes they can be bad, but millions of people follow Chrisitianities ideals and are good examples. Kids included.

Ok no more hijacking the thread. I'm done.
Old 04-17-03, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally posted by Muah'dib
I honestly don't know if there is such programming. Maybe you should invent it.

I never once said that religion is "needed." I'm only addressing the notion that religion=brainwashing, that seems so prevalent today. Many people feel as Josh that you shouldn't even mention religion to young children. Religion in and of itself is not bad as so many people believe. We do see extremes of it and yes they can be bad, but millions of people follow Chrisitianities ideals and are good examples. Kids included.
Well said. We don't need to turn this thread into Christian-bashing or have long diatribes against Christianity in order to comment on whether or not Veggie Tales DVDs are any good. It's no secret whatsoever they're made by a Christian company and that they teach moral lessons. If you like that notion, you'll love the DVDs since they're funny and well made. If you hate that notion, odds are you won't like them at all.
Old 04-17-03, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Religion and children aside... kinda sounds like the kind of movie that one might enjoy watching while baked... if one were into watching movies while baked that is.
Old 04-17-03, 09:29 PM
Retired

Groucho hit it on the head. The columbine example is just the type of crap I always hear from bible thumpers.

Sure you can't let your kids go without guidance. I never implied that in the slightest. I said earlier in the thread that you can teach values without lame fairy tales....er***cough***religion*** cough.

There's no reason you can't teach a kid right and wrong, manners, to respect others, etc. etc. etc. without religion. Religious people just think there's no other way and say lame stuff like "without teaching kids religion they'd be the next columbine shooters" (just a paraphrase, not quoting anyone here).

I also don't think there's anything inherently bad for religion. I just think it's baseless. It's just a lame cop out for people that are too afraid to face the fact that there's nothing after death, that they'll never see loved ones that they've lost. Or it's an answer to unsolvable questions like "where'd we come from?"

All just my humble opinion of course.
Old 04-17-03, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
Interesting responses. A simple yea or nay would have sufficed. But hey, I'm game for more knowledge. I was thinking of getting these titles as collectibles and since they can be purchased via CH enrollments, it's no sweat off my wallet.

As long as the Veggietales don't sound like Jerry Falwell walking through a Gay Pride Parade, I'm ok. A little Christianity never hurt anyone. Well. LOL. You know what I mean. I think.

As far as "brainwashing" with religion, what about people like Eminem who say things that are certainly just as nasty as any preacher I've ran into. Talk about brainwashing the younger generation. I fear Eminem's lyrics would do more harm to a child than Amazing Grace or Circuit Ridin' Preacher could ever hope to do.

Last edited by DVD Polizei; 04-17-03 at 09:50 PM.
Old 04-17-03, 10:14 PM

Sheesh, why didn't He-man get this much flak when he preached morality at the end of each episode?

Veggie Tales =
Old 04-17-03, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have Jonah and I highly recommend it for kids. It is a funny movie and the DVD is loaded with features. I guess some like kids movies where the kids or animated characters are cussing at one another and sexual inuendo is included for the "adults". I prefer my kids watch the Veggie Tales variety.

To each his own...
Old 04-17-03, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by moocher
I have Jonah and I highly recommend it for kids. It is a funny movie and the DVD is loaded with features. I guess some like kids movies where the kids or animated characters are cussing at one another and sexual inuendo is included for the "adults". I prefer my kids watch the Veggie Tales variety.

To each his own...
Don't get carried away. There are plenty of good DVDs for kids that don't have religious overtones. I don't think anyone was suggesting Ninja Scroll was better for children to watch.

Yes, you can teach children right or wrong without involving religion, but if the parents believe in something they are going to teach it to their children whether it be Christianity or Atheism. The important thing is giving them the option to choose for themselves when they are old enough to and give them access to any books and information they want on the subject. This was an option I wasn't given. My father was a Catholic and I literally had religion stuffed down my throat. Its a wonder I didn't turn out a Satanist, but since I don't believe Satan really exists I didn't. Brainwashing was mentioned earlier, but I honestly believe its usually parents and not cartoon Tomatoes that do it.

The answer to the Veggie Tales question is simple. If you are comfortable with your children seeing a cartoon with Christian subtext this is a very good one. If you are a non Christian this may be something to pass on.
Old 04-18-03, 01:27 PM
Retired

Originally posted by DVD Polizei

As far as "brainwashing" with religion, what about people like Eminem who say things that are certainly just as nasty as any preacher I've ran into. Talk about brainwashing the younger generation. I fear Eminem's lyrics would do more harm to a child than Amazing Grace or Circuit Ridin' Preacher could ever hope to do.
Apples and oranges IMO, b/c VeggieTales is designed for children, and Eminem's cd's are plastered with parental advisory stickers illustrating they are not.
Old 04-18-03, 01:30 PM
Retired

Originally posted by darkside
Brainwashing was mentioned earlier, but I honestly believe its usually parents and not cartoon Tomatoes that do it.
I agree 100%. I just have a beef with these cartoons because they are designed to help parents in this.
Old 04-18-03, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

How is it brainwashing? Doesn't every parent raise their children with their own beliefs and values??? In fact, I would say it is impossible to do otherwise.

I don't know if Josh has or ever plans on having kids, but it is pretty certain that his kids will grow up with his values and beliefs (as scary as that is).

I plan on raising my kids with mine. My kids will learn about the God I know. And... if when they are older they decide it's not for them. Then that is their choice.

I was raised without religion. I never went to church. Yet, when I became an adult, I chose religion.
Old 04-18-03, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
I agree 100%. I just have a beef with these cartoons because they are designed to help parents in this.
They are designed to entertain children and teach positive values. Pretty sad that you think parents teaching children good values--even--GASP!--Christian values--are "brainwashing."
Old 04-18-03, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by uteotw
They are designed to entertain children and teach positive values. Pretty sad that you think parents teaching children good values--even--GASP!--Christian values--are "brainwashing."
Actually, by Josh's logic... teaching a kid anything would be brainwashing.

In fact... I guess even sending them to school would be bad. You wouldn't want to force any knowledge on them.
Old 04-18-03, 02:37 PM

I'm a raging agnostic and even I enjoy the Veggie Tales.

I'm guessign Josh is young (and he has already stated he doesn't have kids) - he sounds like I did when I was in college.

What he is lacking is perspective of actually having kids and all of the parental responsibility that comes with this. Additionally I wonder if he has actually seen an episode. I say this, because, I never usually notice in overt "RELIGIOUS" messages in the shows themselves until the very end when they actually quote the releavent bible verse that relates to the theme of the show. They are usually little morality plays that would play in most religions (even those these are based in Christianity).

Coming for someone who mocks God on a regular basis and will certainly end up basking in the fires of Hell if it all ends up to be "true" - IMHO, the show presents plot lines with a strong moral (NOT religious) theme, with very little if any "preaching". I say not religious because I am of the school of thought that Jesus had some really worthwhile ideas, even if he was "just a man". The religion comes in when some cleric asks me to repeat what they say and pass the offering plate.

The only brainwashing I inflict on my kids is to consider the effects their actions have on themselves and others (a mutated Golden Rule), and that is usually what the Veggies "preach".

Drebin!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.