Reload this Page >

why is Bowling for Columbine delayed?

why is Bowling for Columbine delayed?

Old 04-18-03, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by MrN
To quote from studiobrief, which appears on IMDB:

"on his website www.michaelmoore.com, Michael Moore, who created an uproar when he attacked Bush's policies upon receiving an Oscar last month, claimed that, far from experiencing a backlash, ticket sales for his movie increased 110 percent, the number of theaters showing it also increased, his book Stupid White Men shot to #1 on the New York Times' best-seller list, more people pre-ordered his movie Bowling for Columbine on Amazon.com than the Best-Film winner Chicago, he received funding to make his next documentary [from Mel Gibson's production company], and he has received an offer to do a new television series."
Surprising since his DVD hasn't been available for preorder on Amazon for a while.
Old 04-18-03, 07:17 PM
sheesh

Hmm. I did a yahoo search and it took me right to this thread. What guts it takes for y'all to parrot the jingoist cliches you heard yesterday afternoon on Fox "News."

As for going "fishing with Fredo," IMHO George W.=Fredo, i.e., the slow older brother. Only, in our storyline, he didn't get passed over.

Old 04-18-03, 07:47 PM
Banned

A possible reason for Bowling's delay.

Well get this guys and gals, just heard a story on the news that the website Revoke the Oscar.com may offer a reason why the DVD is delayed.

It's time we take back the stage. Bowling for Columbine violated the Academy's own rules. These limit the documentary competition to nonfiction films. Bowling isn't nonfiction. Whenever it was necessary to his theme, Moore invented facts, fabricated events, staged scenes, or doctored the depiction of what actually happened. When Heston, for example, gave a mild and concilliatory speech, Moore simply edited the footage (and inserted footage from a different speech a year later) to make it sound arrogant.

The Academy can reward propaganda, if it pleases. It can reward anti-Americanism, if it pleases. But its own rules establish that it cannot reward fiction as "best documentary." We call upon the Academy to enforce its own rule.

Can we win out? Certainly. Public outrage over Bowling has peaked since Michael Moore's self-infatuated lecture during his Oscar® acceptance. The media has begun to cover the issue. Just two websites devoted to critcizing Moore and his film have experienced 250,000 unique visitors since his award. 250,000 voices is a lot of voices.
Note: This isn't threadcrapping, I'm just pointing out that perhaps this contraversy may affect how the DVD for Bowling may be marketed with or without Oscar labels for "Best Documentary" when in fact, according to the Academy's own rules, it wasn't...

Also note that a few of the above bolded statements were my own to stress the main points.

Last edited by Maximus2K3; 04-18-03 at 07:51 PM.
Old 04-18-03, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 908 Likes on 643 Posts
Definitely interesting. If it can be proven, of course they should take it away. Reminds me of Milli Vanilli.
Old 04-18-03, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Let's face it, this isn't the first time Moore has distorted and lied. He did this in his book too - and admitted it in an interview. It's too bad such radicals like himself believe they can justifiably lie to make their case or poltiical standings.
Old 04-19-03, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by DavidH
It's too bad such radicals like himself believe they can justifiably lie to make their case or poltiical standings.
Are you talking about Moore or George W. Bush?
Old 04-19-03, 01:22 AM
drc
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: A possible reason for Bowling's delay.

Originally posted by AGuyNamedMike
With the Oscar win, he and his financial backers simply wanted to ride the cash cow of a theatrical rerelease before putting out the DVD. All debate of Mr. Moore's politics or fading talent as a filmmaker aside, they are normal capitalists just like the rest of us and want mo' money.
Yep. That and now they can put "Best Documentary" on the cover.
Originally posted by badger1997
Surprising since his DVD hasn't been available for preorder on Amazon for a while.
He is correct though. I remember chuckling to myself when I was on amazon.com either the night of or the morning after the Oscars and seeing BfC #2 on the DVD top sellers list.
Originally posted by Maximus2K3
Well get this guys and gals, just heard a story on the news that the website Revoke the Oscar.com may offer a reason why the DVD is delayed.
These people must have an awful lot of time on their hands. Seriously.

Revoking his Oscar? First of all, it won't happen. But if it did, it would only give Michael Moore and BfC EVEN MORE EXPOSURE.

His Academy award acceptance speech did nothing to hurt his career. He is more well known to the public and more popular to his core audience than ever.
Old 04-19-03, 06:44 AM

There really are alot of ignorant idiots here at DVDtalk, who would have thought it... :rollseyes:
Old 04-19-03, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Are you talking about Moore or George W. Bush?
Ha...Yeah, riiiiiight.
Old 04-19-03, 11:06 AM

Wow... a lot of vitriol on both sides... if you like the film or don't like the film (or the filmmaker) is quite irrelevant here... Either way it won the Oscar for best documentary... and more then likely Michael Moore wanted to add more to the features for this upcoming DVD, and or the studio wanted to put it back in theaters to garner more money before the DVD release. Either way, it is delayed. What I find amusing is people who express their opinions about the film, who haven't even seen it. And while I don't believe there should be any unreasonable limit to freedom of (at the moment) constitutionally protected speech, I find it really funny when ignorant people decide to avail themselves of it.
Old 04-19-03, 11:17 AM
Mod Emeritus

Once again another thread about Michael Moore gets out of hand...
Old 04-19-03, 11:20 AM
Mod Emeritus

Actually I'm going to reopen this thread on the basis that it no more bickering or insults are given out. This thread needs to be about why Moore's DVD was delayed and not about his politics. If there is another post bashing or celebrating his politics then it will be closed. Ditto with the insults.

Thanks

Last edited by Gallant Pig; 04-19-03 at 11:22 AM.
Old 04-19-03, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by dgc
Maybe the more time that passes between his Oscar speech, the more people will forget his inappropriate comments. I for one refuse to watch any of his schlockumentaries.

I truly hope the dvd does poorly.
Word! Maybe he should try editing without the background and ties changing in the middle of his cuts.
Old 04-19-03, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: A possible reason for Bowling's delay.

Originally posted by Maximus2K3

Note: This isn't threadcrapping, I'm just pointing out that perhaps this contraversy may affect how the DVD for Bowling may be marketed with or without Oscar labels for "Best Documentary" when in fact, according to the Academy's own rules, it wasn't...

Also note that a few of the above bolded statements were my own to stress the main points.

That's the funniest thing i've seen all day!!! Thanks for the comic relief. "something to that..."

Seriously, it would seem plain to me that they just want to add some extras, and if we're really lucky, a commentary track. I guarantee this will do very very well.....thankfully, the world isn't completely represented by the mean-spirited viciously right-wing contingents here at dvdtalk.
Old 04-19-03, 02:23 PM
Cool New Member

SIGH

Hey folks,

He's a humorist, okay?

I think the most important thing that people like Mr. Moore can give us is the concept that we need to question what is fed to us....even his offerings.

Go find the truth, is what I see as his message. Conflicting opinions exist, often coming out of the same mouth.

The statements that Mr. Moore uses from various sources and individuals provokes these institutions and people to respond, to open a dialog. Let them defend themselves!

Wouldn't Samuel Clemens be proud!

But we need to have a sense of humor to live through these times. You don't find Fox News to be the funniest thing on the air?
Old 04-19-03, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Michael Moore is a humorist?

Aren't humorists supposed to be funny?
Old 04-19-03, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The funny thing about the "Revoke the Oscar" site is that they think it's completely unprecedented for a "fiction" film (I think Moore's term is "op-ed") to win the Best Documentary award, when the Academy has actually given it to a film that was pretty much completely fictional ("The Hellstrom Chronicle"). I'll sign on if they expand the campaign to include that film as well, but since it's not "anti-American propaganda" I don't see that happening. (A bit surprised they didn't mention "Hearts and Minds," though.)

Aren't humorists supposed to be funny?
*CLICK* *WHIRR* MY HUMOR SENSOR IS NOT FUNCTIONING

THIS IS NOT A SUBJECT THAT CAN BE MEASURED OBJECTIVELY

*BZZT* *WHIRR* INITIATE LOGIC SHUTDOWN

Last edited by Dan Average; 04-19-03 at 03:36 PM.
Old 04-19-03, 06:45 PM
Banned

Re: Re: A possible reason for Bowling's delay.

Originally posted by crooksha
These people must have an awful lot of time on their hands. Seriously.
Yep, obviously much more than Moore's research team. At least they got their facts right.

Revoking his Oscar? First of all, it won't happen.
So winning an Oscar for something which it clearly isn't, is just A-OK with you? Not to mention breaking the Academy's own rules on the matter. Guess you missed the 2002 Winter Olympics. There must be a French judge on the Academy.

But if it did, it would only give Michael Moore and BfC EVEN MORE EXPOSURE.
Yes, as a lying twit who thinks his radical leftists views hold more water than anything right of him.

His Academy award acceptance speech did nothing to hurt his career.
Don't count on it. It's still early. "the day ain't over yet" as they say.

He is more well known to the public and more popular to his core audience than ever. [/B]
Is that such a good thing? On one hand it has shown what a complete idiot he is, and two, for his fans, it shows just how foolish they really are. What was it that Obi-wan said? "Who's the more foolish, the fool, or the fool who follows it."

You know, with regards to his fans, as I assume you're one, just shows that you're perfectly willing to be fooled about reality just to be entertained.

But just for comparison's sake, let's say I'm a documentarian, and I make a film about WWII, and in it I include a battle that never took place, and I use editted footage of other battles to create this ficticious battle. And when it's done, I call it a documentary. And as fate would have it, I win an Oscar for it. But then every WWII historian comes forward and calls my bluff on the ficitious battle.

Well, that's essentially what Moore has and is doing with his so-called documentaries. He makes stuff up, states scenes and calls them real to suport his world veiws. If he makes these documentaries and admits they're fictional, that's one thing. But he doesn't. IMO his sole intend is to continue to fool the public.
Old 04-19-03, 06:53 PM
Banned

Re: Re: A possible reason for Bowling's delay.

Originally posted by brizz
.thankfully, the world isn't completely represented by the mean-spirited viciously right-wing contingents here at dvdtalk.
Thankfully the American public is finally waking up from his Left-wing Liberal stupor from 8 years of Clinton.

And you speak of the mean-spiritedness of right-wingers? Hmm...funny you should call it that. I see it as the enforcement of values upon valueless left-wingers.

But how do the terms "close-minded", "narrow-minded" and the best one of all, "progressive" sound to conservatives? You don't think those terms are mean-spririted?

But anyway, until this campaign to possibly revoke the Oscar is resolved, one way or another, I'd say that the DVD will be delayed if they're adament about putting Oscar labels on it. Because like the campaign said, BfC is technically not a Documentary as was the Oscar won for.