Red Dwarf Series III & IV Updates

Old 04-12-03, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From the official site yesterday...

Series III and IV - by Andrew Ellard

The first toes have been tentatively dipped in the DVD water for the next two series of Red Dwarf on DVD. Ew - soggy feet!

As recently reported, Series I has sold over 100,000 copies in the UK alone. Similar numbers for Series II are not far behind, and it's actually been selling faster than I. Word is getting out - and that's good for us all. Success of the first releases means a (slightly) better budget this time around!

But we'd be foolish to be complacent, and with the next two series we're hoping to improve on the first two series. Taking feedback from reviews - as well as the buzz on the Red Dwarf Webboard - we're all set to make these next releases even better than the first.

The first meeting with Deluxe Digital established how the menus for the new discs will work. After their sterling work on the first two series, we've elected to stick close to the established format, where viewers navigate through various Dwarf sets to find options. Expect the bunk and science rooms to put in an appearance in their revamped, Series III state, with the episode menus likely to be based around crew lockers in Starbug's hangar.

Also planned for the navigation are additional chapter points. Red Dwarf is a densely-packed show, and we've found that seven chapter points just weren't enough once two had been taken up with opening and closing titles. Two more have been added for Series III and IV, meaning that when you want to see Lister attacked by shrinking boxer shorts, you can be taken right there.

Finally, conversations about Easter Eggs have begun. Regarding their location, feedback on Series I and II was a little contradictory. Some fans found the Eggs in seconds, and couldn't believe we'd actually told people they were on there. Others posted messages on the net, unable to track down the hidden extras.

All of which means that we probably got them about right. Nevertheless, we're looking to have more Eggs this time around, and be just a little more cunning about their placement. No, no clues.

In the world of cover art, nobody who has the first discs will be surprised to learn that the matching spine logo will continue across all the covers, and that Series III will feature Starbug's hull in the background. (Images still available to download as wallpaper.) Series IV's background, meanwhile, is likely to come full circle and return to Red Dwarf.

As far as extras go, we're working on a bucketload of Dwarfy goodness. Commentaries, documentaries - based on brand new cast and crew interviews - and featurettes will build on what has gone before, and we'll be including more deleted scenes and smeg-ups, as well as adding some new things to the mix. Details will be released later in production, but Dimension Jump attendees will be aware that Hattie Hayridge had a camcorder about her person all weekend for Hattie's DJ Video Diary...

In the UK Series III & IV will be released in November '03 and February '04 respectively, with a similar pattern following in Australia. The USA should see a release for both in February '04. As ever, reddwarf.co.uk will be carrying a diary of the whole thing. Brace yourselves - here we go again!

More DVD Details will follow soon...
Old 04-12-03, 10:08 PM

Sounds great. I'm looking forward to owning these. Season 1/2 dvds are awesome. Can't imagine the next batch will be even better...
Old 04-12-03, 10:17 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
can I hear a "woop"
Old 04-12-03, 10:18 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Looking forward to them. 2 seasons a year is a fine pace.
Old 04-13-03, 08:35 PM

Originally posted by Groucho
2 seasons a year is a fine pace.
That might be true if there were 22 episodes per season and each episode was 40+ min long. &nbsp Red Dwarf's short seasons and even shorter episodes make the 2-Seasons-per-year release schedule just crazy.

I want my smegin' Red Dwarf and I want it now!
Old 04-13-03, 11:38 PM

Red Dwarf US pilot?

Any chance a future Red Dwarf set would include the US pilots featuring Craig Bierko and Terry Farrell? I've been having a terrible time finding them online, and I figure that if the same people have the rights, it might be a killer bonus feature for the BBC discs.

Thoughts?

BOMM,

CS
Old 04-13-03, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Red Dwarf US pilot?

Originally posted by BasiaMille
Any chance a future Red Dwarf set would include the US pilots featuring Craig Bierko and Terry Farrell? I've been having a terrible time finding them online, and I figure that if the same people have the rights, it might be a killer bonus feature for the BBC discs.

Thoughts?

BOMM,

CS
That would be cool but unlikely...? Of course you never know, having Robert Llewellyn on the US version could help if he trys to get it included... I never got a chance to see the version with Terry Farrell, only the first actor who played the cat. It was sooooo bad it wasnt even funny. It was good to see, I am just mad because I had it on VHS and it was good quality to boot but it got lost or stolen from me

I hope they release the REMASTERED series eventually as well... it would have been nice on these past ones but I would double dip for a second release.
Old 04-14-03, 12:23 AM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My only complaint is that these sets are taking too long to be released
Old 04-15-03, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Way too long. For a show that goes more than 4 seasons, 2 seasons a year is a snails pace.
Old 04-15-03, 04:51 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
Too damn long.

When I sit down to watch a show on DVD I'd at least like to remember the last episode I watched.