DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk Archive (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive-54/)
-   -   Anybody find it hard to get the New Harry Potter dvd? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive/285543-anybody-find-hard-get-new-harry-potter-dvd.html)

JonTurner 04-13-03 12:43 AM

We started with 144 of each at the Circuit City where I work. By 7pm friday, we were sold out of WS, with about 100 FF left. Saturday morning, we got a shipment of about 60 WS in, and at close at 9pm, we had 5 WS left, with still about 80 FF left.

In the last 2 days I've "converted" about 25 people who brought the FF to the register, with the only 2 or 3 that I couldn't convert being people who said that they were sent specifically there to pick up a full frame copy. Whenever they say that, I drop it.

Most of the time though, people walk out very happy that someone has politely explained to them the difference as they had no idea they'd be getting "more" movie with the WS!

BizRodian 04-13-03 12:51 AM

Counting down until someone comes in and bitches about Super 35 and Open Matte.

If I was working in a store like this, I'd take a few screen shots from each version, and put it on a little standy thing on the counter.

I'd definitly do it with things like Star Wars. Harry Potter or LOTR might cause confusion though... because they'd think of both having parts missing, so would just take the one that fits the screen.

SideShow 04-13-03 12:56 AM

I had to dig to find a widescreen copy, but I found it at the first store I went to so not bad at all!

Furio 04-13-03 08:36 AM

I don't think its that big of a deal that a lot of people are buying p&s versions of Harry Potter. The majority of the viewers are kids, and the majority of TVs are 4:3, and kids really don't want to see the black bars. Give them a couple years.

pdjennings 04-13-03 10:23 AM

Originally posted by Furio
... and kids really don't want to see the black bars.
-rolleyes- yeah.... and kids won't sit through a 161 minute movie either.

BizRodian 04-13-03 01:52 PM

I've found it actually easy to explain to kids where there are black bars. Easier then to adults.

What bugs me more then OAR is dubbing of foriegn films... now THAT I can see not working for kids stuff :)

Mr. Snow 04-13-03 03:00 PM

I had mine pre-ordered from Amazon, and got it 2 days early!

milo bloom 04-13-03 03:54 PM

Originally posted by Furio
I don't think its that big of a deal that a lot of people are buying p&s versions of Harry Potter. The majority of the viewers are kids, and the majority of TVs are 4:3, and kids really don't want to see the black bars. Give them a couple years.
Actually, get them started now, and in a couple of years they will want nothing but the black bars.

Children are most impressionable in their early years. I've read discussions about how the earlier you start a kid on a (second) language, the easier they pick it up because they're neural pathways aren't as set.

Brain Stew 04-13-03 10:10 PM

I went to borders Friday and they specifically came on the loud speaker and announced that they had copies of HP like it was some big announcement -rolleyes-!

phraseturner 04-13-03 11:06 PM

my local Target had an endcap between checkouts filled with full-screen only. at the electronics section, anotherendcap full of full-screen only. finally, on the new release wall, six slots of full screen and three half-filled slots for the widescreen release.

i walked past many shopping carts with the full-screen version in them. i only had time to stand on my soap box for two customers, who promptly swapped what they had for the widescreen version before checking out.

if i had had the free time, i could have stood there on my soapbox all day pointing out to the casual dvd buyer that--YES THEY HAVE A CHOICE--but Taget is only prominently displaying one of the available formats. to have to search for a widescreen version sickens me.

but...it was the best price around for me, and with a free 2 liter of coke included...
ah, well, at least their bean counters will know ONE of their customers bought a WS title.

Gdrlv 04-14-03 03:02 AM

I haven't purchased it. However, I was happy to see that the Smith's (a grocery store)near my place was only carrying the Widescreen edition.

Bill Geiger 04-14-03 04:31 AM

Target near me was Sold out of Widescreen, but had a small few of the Full Screen on Saturday. Had to go to Kmart ($15.99) and get the widescreen.

resinrats 04-14-03 09:46 AM

Isn't this one like the last one? WS still isn't getting you the full picture. FS has some footage at the top and bottom that WS has cut off? So you could tell people getting the WS copy that they are getting a version that cuts off footage.

darkflounder 04-14-03 11:09 AM

No problems here. Sat at home, didn't leave, never got it. No problem.

I frigging hate Harry Potter mania. It's not that good!!

Now, Lord of the Rings, I'll be at friggin Wal-Mart at midnight to score my first copy, for both theatrical and EE!

mdc3000 04-14-03 11:17 AM

I'm interested to see the Widescreen vs. Fullscreen numbers on this title...

at a local Future Shop, they were completely sold out of Full Screen, had people calling, trying to reserve any copies that came in, and apparently other stores in the area were having the same thing happen... I thought I was in an episode of the twilight zone... has the whole world lost it's damn mind! Luckily the widescreen was easy to get.

MATT

Philip Reuben 04-14-03 12:43 PM

Originally posted by resinrats
Isn't this one like the last one? WS still isn't getting you the full picture. FS has some footage at the top and bottom that WS has cut off? So you could tell people getting the WS copy that they are getting a version that cuts off footage.
Both versions are missing picture (widescreen on the top and bottom, fullscreen on the left and right). The difference is (arguably) that the widescreen version is the original aspect ratio, and only the fullscreen version is missing picture that was there in the cinema.

jough 04-14-03 03:02 PM

The fullscreen version is EVERYWHERE. Gas stations, supermarkets, drug stores, the little newspaper stand near me... But good luck finding the WS anywhere but Best Buy or some other huge buyer.

Of course, I ordered both discs (I never got around to getting the first one) from DDD - no worries about stock there.

-- Jough

goatboy 04-14-03 03:34 PM

I got mine at Blockbuster...they had 100+ copies, but they kept them behind the counter, so you had to ask for them. I price matched, and used a gc from mypoints...it wasn't bad. I also gave a free lesson on WS and FS to the woman behind me in line...she swapped for the WS for her grandson.:D

Ven 04-14-03 04:54 PM

No problems at the BB in Jersey. Went late in the day and they had shelves, a table and a display full of them.

Ghery 04-14-03 06:22 PM

I went to Circuit City on Sunday to pick it up. I thought I watched someone grab the last widescreen copy, but I found another just as someone else was looking for a copy too and wasn't happy to see them all gone. Plenty of Full Screen copies available though...

nodeerforamonth 04-14-03 07:57 PM

no