DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk Archive (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive-54/)
-   -   Anybody find it hard to get the New Harry Potter dvd? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive/285543-anybody-find-hard-get-new-harry-potter-dvd.html)

starving dvder 04-12-03 05:58 AM

Anybody find it hard to get the New Harry Potter dvd?

I went early in the afternoon and stopped at futureshop and they were all sold out as well as there other locations. Walmart sold out and Zellers didn't have any left either. Even Music World that was selling it for 10 dollars more had about 3/4 of their display sold. I decided to go to the last place I thought would have it (London Drugs). They had a widescreen and foolscreen stack behind the counter.
They even price matched the one day price of 19.99 (14 US) which make me a happy camper, but I really had to look around for a decently priced copy.
Did anybody else find it difficult to get their copy?

speedy1961 04-12-03 05:59 AM

Nah..... We've got over 600 at the Borders I work at.

starving dvder 04-12-03 06:07 AM

Do you know how many you sold on this first day at Borders?

Jackskeleton 04-12-03 07:05 AM

I had no problem other then waiting in a stupid line at best buy at around 2 in the afternoon because you had to buy it in the DVD section since they can't trust you walking around with a unpaid for dvd.. -rolleyes-

Simpson Purist 04-12-03 07:13 AM

I can't see how anyone can have a problem getting HP&TCOS. Every big store should be stocked up the wazoo.

SCHMEGGA 04-12-03 07:53 AM

Not here. Tons at Best Buy.

mzupeman2 04-12-03 08:28 AM

Tons at lots of places yes. My manager at work (who i think is full of crap) says that all the copies that stores recieved, is going to be it, that they can't order anymore. Well, a limited release like that doesn't sound likely, considering Harry Potter was the number two selling dvd of last year, and they're bound to make more money with this one. Where I work we had 509 copies and went to Target right in front of us, and bought the other 250 copies that THEY had. Getting rid of the competition. Yargh.

AdamComic2 04-12-03 09:23 AM

We got 500 - 550 (a pretty even mix of FS and WS) at my Circuit City and by the time I went home at 5, we had only about 200 left... It wouldn't surpise me if they were all gone by the end of today.

sparks 04-12-03 09:30 AM

I got mine for $13.99 at Frys yesterday.

Ready for this, they ran out of "Fullframes" and the people were really upset.

I squeezed thru them and got my "Widescreen" copy and turned to 'em and said quite loudly " I'd be upset too if I had to pay $13.99 for 1/2 a movie"!...sad, sad, sad...

ChefWinduAZ 04-12-03 10:12 AM

I stopped by my neighborhood Circle K (like a 7-11) to pick up a soda and behind the counter they had a few copies of the DVD and VHS. Of course the DVD was Full Screen.

Flynn 04-12-03 10:19 AM

Wal-Mart was stocked to the gills here in KC - got mine for $14.84

elise 04-12-03 10:38 AM

I didn't get a chance to go until late afternoon and by then Target had sold out of widescreen. They had hundreds of fullscreen left, though. But Best Buy had plenty of both left.

milo bloom 04-12-03 10:46 AM

Originally posted by WWE Jedi
I stopped by my neighborhood Circle K (like a 7-11) to pick up a soda and behind the counter they had a few copies of the DVD and VHS. Of course the DVD was Full Screen.
You people are slacking...

"There's strange things afoot at the Circle K"

I'm waiting personally, I've stopped buying DVDs on release day so I don't have to fight the crowds and also incase there are technical issues.

movie diva 04-12-03 11:30 AM

No problem in my area, the Target I went to had tons of them , they had a display as soon as you walk in where they usually have the 9.00 movies and in the DVD section they had a couple of hundred more.

speedy1961 04-12-03 01:25 PM

Originally posted by starving dvder
Do you know how many you sold on this first day at Borders?
I can find out.....

Mexican Menace 04-12-03 02:09 PM

Originally posted by movie diva
No problem in my area, the Target I went to had tons of them , they had a display as soon as you walk in where they usually have the 9.00 movies and in the DVD section they had a couple of hundred more.
Got to my local target around 6:30pm. Fullscreen-a-plenty. Got one of the last two widescreen plus a free 2-liter of coke. :)

Mittman 04-12-03 02:50 PM

I had to search for a widescreen copy at my Target. When I found it someone that was picking up a full screen copy next to me asked what the difference was. I explained it to them, and they put their full screen version back and picked up a widescreen copy. Felt good to convert someone to widescreen.

pdjennings 04-12-03 02:56 PM

Heheh... I can echo the 'converting someone' feeling :)

Yesterday.... myself and 3 other coworkers took a little fieldtrip from work to BestBuy to get our Potterz. We were there when the doors opened at 10,... along with about 15 other people. All of which went directly to the Potter display :) (I loudly mentioned to my group to be sure they got one with the yellow widescreen banner.... which had some of the other people asking what the difference was :rolleyes: , so I gave them all the mini-lesson).

I love it when Potterphilia runs rampant :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

— PDJ, proud potterphile ;)

*Edit* - For the record, my BestBuy has oodles of both.

matome 04-12-03 03:12 PM

Plenty of them at my local Best Buy.

Iron_Giant 04-12-03 03:26 PM

HP is everywhere!

dunno260 04-12-03 05:05 PM

I went in to Bestbuy at 6PM friday, walked in, picked up CoS walked the back, got Sorcer's Stone, went to the checkout, paid and left. I think I was in there maybe three minutes at the most. Had more than enough there too.

Cosmic Bus 04-12-03 09:13 PM

We got four times as many WS than FS at the Borders I work at, but fullscreen (or "normal"-screen as I've started hearing now!) is all people want. The FS versions were gone within half an hour, and people were complaining the rest of Friday and most of today that they couldn't find the "regular" version of the movie at the store. -rolleyes-

BizRodian 04-12-03 10:28 PM

I miss being a 1999 DVD collector... ok, so we didn't have Godfather, but damnit.. we had Free Ride and Jaboom and everyone got widescreen!!!

BTW, many stores were totally overstocked with the first movie, and so they're not sending as much dvds out this time... but there should still be plenty for all. I got mine at Zellers where they seemed to have equal numbers of full and widescreen. I skipped looking at Wal*Mart since last I was in there, the brand new display of Road to Perdition was fullscreen only.

Skull 04-12-03 11:00 PM

Plenty at the Fry's I got mine at.

PolloDiablo 04-13-03 12:31 AM

When I picked up my pre-order at Toys R' Us Friday afternoon the guy behind the counter congratulated me for buying the right version (Widescreen) which I thought was pretty cool. Nice to see that they have some employees that know what their talking about.