Community
Search

Considered This For Storage? (Binders)

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-03, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Considered This For Storage?

I was just curious as to whether there was anyone here who had considered/did this as an option for storage or not?

Some advantages:
1. Most people (except DVD Talkers) could hold there whole collection in 1 or 2 of these.
2. Less wear and tear on your keep cases and other "nice looking" cases. Plus you can arrange your cases one way and other people won't be messing with them.
3. Easy to put-up away from dirty hands, prying eyes, etc...
4. Extremely portable, so you can have your entire collection to choose from when traveling.
5. Quickly searchable
6. Could use several smaller ones and arrange by genre, director, actor, etc...
7. Could put extra "bonus features" discs in by themselves without mixing them with the actual movie discs.
8. If your house ever caught on fire you could run in and save your entire collection in one fell swoop Rather than watching as your pile of burning plastic melts away.
9. No more having to look at those "giant floating heads" on the covers of 9/10 of your DVD cases.

Some disadvantages:
1. Would have to leave gaps/empty pages between them in order to allow for new additions without having to rearrange everything all the time. And you would eventually have to do this several times.
2. Don't care for the whole sliding in and out of the sleeves as much, but I have to admit I have never damaged a CD this way.
3. Your wife/child could find and "borrow" your entire collection at one time and lose it! Ouch!
4. Would have to pull out the case anyway if you wanted any of the chapter lists, booklets, etc...
5. "But I love my Criterion Cases"

I have considered doing this because I am constantly traveling, when not in school, between my parent's and my in-law's homes. Because of this I tend to take 20-30 DVD cases with me every time, because I don't know what I'll want to watch when there. If you have any more adv/disadv. go ahead and list them. Thanks.
Old 04-10-03, 01:16 AM
Banned

this is the approach used in a lot of smaller dvd rental stores and small mom and pop shops who put the cases on display and the discs behind the desk

i think it's a good approach but never bothered since i think it's a hassle to have them in two different places, plus for me it's not an issue of having prying hands or curious people take discs

one risk as well is just the easier chance of misplacing them this way

i agree, for portable use and taking stuff on the go then a mass dvd case of this type is ideal, just don't get it stolen, as i've heard people have lost their collections this way
Old 04-10-03, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have a case like that to travel with when I take my portable DVD player with me or when I go somewhere there will be a DVD player to enjoy. For home I prefer to be able to see my cases. If I wasn't planning on moving soon I would certainly think about a few of these so I could make my collection more compact.

The only other time I would like these cases would be when I complete a TV series on DVD. It would be much easier to put all my Buffy, X-Files or Monty Python DVD in one of these instead of opening the cases all the time. This is the reason I'm looking into getting a few more of these.
Old 04-10-03, 01:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I like keeping my DVD's in it's actual case. If the binder one day mysteriously disappeared, i'd die. It's easier to steal a binder of DVD's than it is 250+ dvd cases.
Old 04-10-03, 02:02 AM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm on the fence about this one. The only reason I'd put them in a case like this, would be to hide them from visitors who'd want to borrow them.
Old 04-10-03, 06:56 AM

ick. one of the nice parts about collecting dvd is the nice package and displaying them.

plus... unless you threw them away.... you'd still have to store the cases somewhere.... so why not just keep them together to begin with?
Old 04-10-03, 09:36 AM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is how I used to store my DVDs before I had a cabinet that could display them all. Now that I have a big enough cabinet, I've been transitioning to putting them back in their cases. I think for some people, it's a great idea, for the reasons you outlined.
Old 04-10-03, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
Those binders are evil! The reasons not to use them far outweigh the benefits.

The binder pages place uneven stress on the discs. Depending upon the climate conditions, those discs could develop warps, or the layers may "delaminate".

Each and every removal and insertion of the disc into the sleeve, causes contact/rubbing between the disc surface and sleeve material. It is more difficult to insert and remove a disc into a sleeve in a binder than it is to from a keepcase.

Also, to add/remove discs from an alphabetized collection is a nightmare. You have to shuffle all subsequent pages...
Old 04-10-03, 10:14 AM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by sracer
Also, to add/remove discs from an alphabetized collection is a nightmare. You have to shuffle all subsequent pages...
That's why you don't keep an alphabetized collection in binders. I did it by genre, and it worked fine.
Old 04-10-03, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Re: Considered This For Storage?

Originally posted by SCHMEGGA
8. If your house ever caught on fire you could run in and save your entire collection in one fell swoop Rather than watching as your pile of burning plastic melts away.
Reason why I wouldnt:
If your house is being robbed, the robber could run in and steal your entire collection, rather than trying to grab a pile of discs.
Old 04-10-03, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally posted by Static Cling
That's why you don't keep an alphabetized collection in binders. I did it by genre, and it worked fine.
Except now you have multiple binders and have to remember if Terminator 2 is under "SciFi" or "Action". ... and then flip through to look for it.

They're still evil.

I have to admit, I use those binders to store my VCDs (otherwise my collection would be TOTALLY unmanageable)... I don't like, but they are a necessary evil.
Old 04-10-03, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
I can't speak for DVDs, but I have over 300 CDs and keep them in their original cases. I've never had a scratched disc.

My best friend has over 300 CDs and takes good care of them. He keeps them in a binder. He has had dozens of scratched discs.

It makes me very wary of trying it.
Old 04-10-03, 11:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by pdjennings
ick. one of the nice parts about collecting dvd is the nice package and displaying them.

plus... unless you threw them away.... you'd still have to store the cases somewhere.... so why not just keep them together to begin with?
I have to say...the dvd king is correct. I hate binders...and like was said in another post...just something easier for a crackhead to steal. no way man. I like my library the way it is...perfect!!
Old 04-10-03, 03:04 PM

I actually purchased two of these from CaseLogic for some of my Snapper cases. They fit 100 of the Snappers quite nicely. Amaray cases belong on the shelf, Snappers belong in this case. IMHO.

I have a smaller case that holds about 20 DVD's that I use for travelling.

Last edited by buckee1; 04-10-03 at 03:07 PM.
Old 04-10-03, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Good idea for some,but I havnt diped into doing this yet because of disc that are flippers,you know all them WB discs?most are flippers especially the older WB movies.

Another thing is that DVDs scratch alot easior then CDs and the Case Logics Ive had in the past scratched some of my DVD based games and movies(I dont know if it was just the case or if all of them scratch),I was just wondering if anyone has tested the sleeves with a DVD to see if it scratches like taking it in and out a few times to see if it does?
Old 04-10-03, 06:18 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
I use both display and binders.

Family related titles go on the shelf. My kids like to look at the covers.

Criterion DVDs go on display. I enjoy reading their inserts and I think they have handsome covers.

Most everything else goes to binder. I am in a area where I don't have to worry about theft. Also, with 500+ DVD titles which means about 650+ discs, it allows me to actually still have books in my bookshelf (a novel idea).

I would also strongly contend that the possibility of damage is far greater inserting a disc into a hard plastic case than in the treated pages of a Case Logic binder.
Old 04-10-03, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

i like mine on a shelf without binders. i think it looks nice. plus i have less than 100 so its not taking up too much room.
Old 04-10-03, 07:32 PM
Banned

I use a 208 capacity binder for my Trek TV DVDs. For those that bought any of the TNG box sets, you know what pain it is to remove the gatefold to get at the discs, so I bought one of these binders.

Besides it's looks real cool to have all 48 TNG discs in 6 pages, plus the current 13 discs of DS9. I plan on putting all 48 discs of DS9 and the 47 discs of Voyager. Then I had originally planned on all 30 discs of Babylon 5 and all 35 discs of Stargate SG-1. Although I may change my mind for those since those two series have somewhat vague disc labels with no episode lists on them.

Other than that, everything else stays in their regular cases. And the cases for those that I do have in the binder stay on the shelf as well just for astetic reasons.

Last edited by Imhotep; 04-10-03 at 07:34 PM.
Old 04-10-03, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
The problem is where do you put the inserts. If they had something where you could have inserts from the case, and then the DVD in a slip thingy, that would be cool
Old 04-10-03, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
This is a good way of getting all of your collection stolen/lost fast.

I don't trust binders for that reason alone.
Old 04-10-03, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
This is a good way of getting all of your collection stolen/lost fast.

I don't trust binders for that reason alone.
I agree. I have also been watching many sellers on Ebay selling "their" collections in binders with no cases. Can you say, "Possible stolen property?"
Old 04-11-03, 12:07 PM

Originally posted by DVD Polizei
The problem is where do you put the inserts. If they had something where you could have inserts from the case, and then the DVD in a slip thingy, that would be cool
The caseLogic binders I have have the transparent sleeve in front for the insert and the pocket in the rear for the disc. I think the phot at the start of the thread is a CD Binder as opposed to the DVD Binder. here's a link http://www.casealliance.com/cgi-bin/...a95+1050091078
Old 04-11-03, 12:28 PM
Banned

I use Case Logic binders for the bulk of my collection. I've got the cases and inserts in a box in the attic. But I do keep my Criterions and other cases on a shelf. All the ones that I either really like looking at or contain info that I want immediate access to.
Old 04-12-03, 02:39 PM

Originally posted by sracer
Those binders are evil! The reasons not to use them far outweigh the benefits.

The binder pages place uneven stress on the discs. Depending upon the climate conditions, those discs could develop warps, or the layers may "delaminate".

Each and every removal and insertion of the disc into the sleeve, causes contact/rubbing between the disc surface and sleeve material. It is more difficult to insert and remove a disc into a sleeve in a binder than it is to from a keepcase.
What!!!??? Are you kidding me?? This is how I store all my 'mature' DVDs - dangit!! Aaaaahhhhhh for the love of god, nooooooooo ......*smurf hurries off to rummage thru the shelves in the closet*
Old 04-12-03, 02:54 PM

I keep ALL my DVD's in binders, the only difference with the binders i have is that you can add sleeves where ever and when ever you like.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.