Community
Search

What was your last "discovery" ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-03, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts
What was your last "discovery" ?

What is the new coolest thing you've found on DVD? Be it movies, TV, documentaries, music, etc, if it's on DVD it's fair game. I'll start with an example:

My latest discovery is Oz - I am totally hooked and were it not for family that is visiting until tomorrow, I would be further than the 3.5 eps I've seen. LOVE the show. I bought it when it first came out (Season 1) and am just now getting into it. The good thing is that I have season 2 also so I can jump right into it.

I actually popped the first episode in a while back but I was on the computer working on something at the time and it didn't catch me. It was one of my "thinking" DVDs - the ones you have to pay attention to while watching (The Simpsons would be a non-thinking DVD) or you WILL miss something. Now I'm just focusing on the show and not doing anything else.

My second latest discovery is Blue from the Three Colors trilogy. Now I've read and heard about cinematography, but I've never been blown away by cinematography until this film. It is absolutely beautiful and mesmerizing. The scene composition is incredible. This is becoming one of my favorite films. I can't wait to watch all three with supplements.

So what's yours?

Last edited by GatorDeb; 04-06-03 at 11:35 AM.
Old 04-06-03, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Coupling! Before the first season came out on DVD recently, I'd never even heard of this show. But it seemed like something I'd like, so I took a chance and bought it. My BF and I loved it, and wound up watching all six episodes in one sitting. Then I bought the Season 2 set from Amazon.uk, and we devoured that one too.

After that, we watched the third season on BBC America, and now we're eagerly awaiting Season 4. It's such a great show! I can definitely understand why some call it a British version of Friends, Seinfeld & Sex and the City, but it's so much more than that, and it's definitely one of my all-time best "DVD discoveries".

Rob

Last edited by RobCA; 04-06-03 at 11:37 AM.
Old 04-06-03, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My last discovery was that Santa Clause wasn't real. Oh the feeling of betrayal.

In all seriousness, there hasn't been much in the way of DVD's that have been a "discovery" to me, but that's probably because most of what I buy I already know going in that I like it. I've made very few blind purchases and the ones that I have made haven't exactly blown me away.
Old 04-06-03, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

. . . The Wounds . . . two thumbs and five toes way UP...!...

. . . Leïla . . . ditto...

. . . . . .

Last edited by Hendrik; 04-06-03 at 01:03 PM.
Old 04-06-03, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Probably Criterion's Ratcatcher DVD. The (vague) premise on the box had intrigued me for a while, so I took a chance and bought it a few weeks ago. I fell in love with the movie and Lynn Ramsey's visual style immediately. It also prompted me to look into and purchase Criterion's George Washington disc.

I've also "discovered" how damn good HBO's programming is. I don't get the channel on our satellite, so I found a great deal on the Sopranos seasons 1 & 2 DVDs, loved 'em, went out and got season 3 soon after (planning to start this tonight), and just got Six Feet Under off Ebay for $44. Next up: Oz.
Old 04-06-03, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'd say Futurama. I had never seen an episode until Cartoon Network started rerunning them. When the set came out I bought it and watched all the episodes in 1 day. Now I'm starting in on the commentary tracks. Needless to say that I will be purchasing the rest of the sets when they are released.
Old 04-06-03, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

3 big surprises over the last year have been via member suggestions: Rififi, A Touch Of Zen and Lang's Die Nibelungen from Kino Video.
Old 04-06-03, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I recently discovered that Region 4 will be releasing one of my favorite movies: "Walker" with Peter Weller; which is coming out on April 16th.
Old 04-06-03, 03:31 PM

Just last night I rented I Stand Alone, the first movie by the guy who made Irreversible, and got knocked the hell out by it. It's a great, great movie. Same goes for a bunch of my other recent rentals - The Umbrellas of Cherbourg, Dead Man, Mauvis Sang, and probably a few others that I'm forgetting.

Yes.
Old 04-06-03, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I discovered True Romance. Never heard of it, box was very vauge, but the cast on the back cover, Tarrentino wrote the script, dts, ect and it was a great buy.
Old 04-06-03, 05:12 PM

latest would have 2 be about 2 months ago buying singin' in the rain. up until then i hadn't had great experiences with classics and this one blew me away. i loved it. though i am a fan of musicals as a genre.
Old 04-06-03, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Just like GatorDeb I am hooked on Oz, just finished the second season thie morning, and another find is The Shield, I can't wait untill the second season is out.
Old 04-06-03, 05:39 PM

The Graduate.

Bought it blind some time ago, but never watched it. I did a couple a weeks ago and loved it. Awesome movie. I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it!!
Old 04-06-03, 06:10 PM

Believe it or not but I must say the Sopranos. Never had HBO so never saw the show during the first two seasons original run. Knew of the hype but that was it. The day season one comes out on dvd, I bought it because I knew if I did not like it, I could always sell it for some good scratch and make most of my money back. Anyways, ended up seeing the whole first season in two days during two seatings. I was hooked after that.

Another nice surprise has to be Battle Royale. Second best blind buy ever!!!!
Old 04-06-03, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Probably would have to be Nightwatch.
I knew very little about it going in, and it turned out to be a pretty good thriller.
Old 04-06-03, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Most recently it was Criterion's How to Get Ahead in Advertising (after which I immediately went online and ordered Withnail and I) and before that it was Jean de Florette and Manon of the Springs (both R2 versions) - it takes a while to get where it's going but wow, what a journey.
Old 04-06-03, 11:04 PM

A couple of TV series I had never seen before purchasing the DVDs blind, and I've replayed each of them countless times:

1. The Sopranos. Typical story: Don't have HBO, had never seen it, heard all the hype. Found the first season last summer for around $45 used. Instantly got hooked on it. Subsequently bought seasons 2 and 3, and am anxiously awaiting S4, whenever that may be.

2. Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Had never seen it, never had any interest in seeing it. But after having good luck with purchasing other TV series (Sopranos, Oz, Larry Sanders, The Prisoner) and knowing of its intensely devoted following, I picked up Season One on a lark with a Best Buy gift card in January. I liked it enough to take a chance on Season Two, which really blew me away. Counting down the weeks until S4 in June (as well as Angel S2 in August).
Old 04-06-03, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just watched the whole first season on Dawson's creek this weekend! I was hooked after the first episode! Going to have to catch up with the show on TBS before the finale!
Old 04-07-03, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
I definetly have to go with:

Recently - The Bouncing Souls "Do You Remember?" double disc... one hell of a documentary about an awesome band with some tight live footage.

Of All Time - Twin Peaks First Season... damn what a good show. David Lynch can do no wrong in my mind
Old 04-07-03, 11:48 AM

Most recent for me was Futurama, I really had no intrest in it even though I knew a little but about it. I bought it on a whim and got hooked and now i'm awaiting season two.
Old 04-07-03, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Serpico and Scarface. Not only my two favorite Pacino movies but quite possibly my most favorite of all movies!
Old 04-07-03, 02:18 PM

I have to go with Wasabi. Jean Reno in Japan vs. the Yakuza can never be a bad thing!
Old 04-26-03, 03:01 PM

I watched Wasabi last night and really enjoyed it.

I have to admit that in all my years i never *ever* thought i'd see Jean Reno dancing like a maniac on a Dance Dance Revolution arcade machine.
Old 04-26-03, 03:46 PM
Keeper of the Comfy Chair

Ditto on Buffy. I had never seen any of the episodes, and picked up S1 on a whim (and at a good price) at Sam's Club. After about three episodes I was hooked. Another fantastic discovery for me was Dr. Strangelove. I'd never seen it, but it seemed like something I'd enjoy. I got it as a fulfillment from CH and have been as happy with that as any other DVD I've purchased.
Old 04-26-03, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Same here with Buffy. Never watched one episode until last year when Best Buy had a sale on S1 that I couldn't pass up. Hooked instantly.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.