Search

Beatles Anthology Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-03, 12:20 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Beatles Anthology Question

Has anyone picked this up yet?

I remember watching a lot of the footage that aired on TV a while back, and I saw this at Best Buy this week for like $47.99 or something, it's a really nice set...

However though, I'm more interested in watching Beatles performances and stuff over the years as opposed to just documentary footage...how does this disc measure up in this regard? I get the impression it's just a huge compendium of documentary footage, with some performances spliced in...and the two new songs that they made.

Back then they didn't really have "music videos" (or at least I don't think so) so does this disc have ALL the Beatles songs and performances? That's what I really want.

And what's the difference on the other discs like the Hard Days Night DVD?

Thx
Old 04-05-03, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This was an excellent documentary made by The Beatles a few years back (1995 I think) in which they start from birth and end up (in a few cases) with death. It's a lot of interview footage, concert footage, montage, music... if you like The Beatles at all, it's worth every penny. This isn't a compendium of videos or songs if that's what you're looking for.

I is however, a great - STUPENDOUS piece of world history.
Old 04-05-03, 12:40 AM
Banned

Thanks for the info...IS there a compendium of videos and songs then for the group?

It'd be cool to have something like that playing in the background, kind of like a CD, but you could walk past the TV and see them playing and stuff....
Old 04-05-03, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

No, to my knowledge there is nothing like that short of buying all their cds and putting them in a big cd changer... that's about all you can do. The Anthology has a HUGE amount of their music (if not all their songs) in varying lengths. Best bet would be to rent it at Blockbuster or somewhere and watch it to see what you think.
Old 04-05-03, 07:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's worth it just to hear a majority of the Beatles' songs in 5.1 sound.

You might want to check out this site to see the complete list of songs featured on the Anthology documentary.
Old 04-05-03, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts
You might want to check out the DVDs of the Beatles' performances on the Ed Sullivan Show. Here's the link of the thread on here.

Beatles on Ed Sullivan
Old 04-05-03, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Flynn
I is however, a great - STUPENDOUS piece of world history.
wow, wish i could say that about myself

Old 04-06-03, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Having sold my VHS anthology box set last year in anticipation of this release, I am delighted to own this great DVD box set. I watched all of the 1st disc and it rocks! This is a great addtion to my collection.
Old 04-07-03, 04:39 AM

Last night I completed watching the whole thing. It's unbelievably great. What a set!

But I'm a bit sad that they didn't include more extras: I wouldn't mind a few hours more of interviews. After all, they probably just have them locked somewhere till internity. And there's still a lot of empty space on disc 5.
Old 04-07-03, 12:01 PM
Banned

Go buy it right now. It's very focused on the music. You get the whole song in most cases along with lots of footage that was rare until Anthology came out. I had it on VHS and wore out the tapes watching it. No question; this is the best Beatles docu available.

Last edited by Surf Monkey; 04-08-03 at 02:06 AM.
Old 04-07-03, 03:43 PM
Cool New Member

Where Are All The ANTHOLOGY Dvd Reviews?

What's with the compleat (inside Beatle's joke there, har har) lack of online reviews for ANTHOLOGY??? I've searched high and low, and the only online published review of the set that I can find is at www.ign.com - which is virtually the same as NO review at all (can't believe people pay subscriptions to IGN when their "free" stuff is just TERRIBLE). Now, I woulda thought that ANTHOLOGY would have had more buzz than any other dvd release last week, but one would think it was a Brentwood release from the lack of published reviews!

What about Dvd Talk... When's YOUR review coming out?
Old 04-07-03, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 503 Likes on 255 Posts
Seeing George, Paul and Ringo playing together and getting together with George Martin in EMI Studio 2 on the fifth disc was the selling point for me. There was a scene from the ABC telecast where George drove up in one of his sports cars. Paul said,"Nice motorcar!". I don't remember more about that scene, but I didn't find it on the DVD or the earlier VHS sets.
Old 04-07-03, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Beatles Anthology Question

Originally posted by UKingdom
Back then they didn't really have "music videos" (or at least I don't think so) so does this disc have ALL the Beatles songs and performances? That's what I really want.
Au Contraire, mon fraire. The Beatles put out lots of music videos. They just may not have called them that. Around the time they stopped touring, they also cut way back on personal appearances on talk shows, Ed Sullivan, etc., so they sent out little films which are indistiguishable from the modern music video. Essentially, you get a lot of Beatles music videos in this set.

The site that Simpson Purist linked to earlier points out all of the songs, and after a lot of them it says "complete." That means, you get the whole song, with nobody talking over it.

So how much would you pay for a DVD set that contained all of these music videos?

Day Tripper
We Can Work It Out
Paperback Writer
Rain
Strawberry Fields Forever
Penny Lane
A Day In The Life
All You Need Is Love
I Am The Walrus
Hello Goodbye
Revolution
Hey Jude
The Long and Winding Road
Don't Let Me Down
Get Back
Let It Be
Something

and then there's all the live stuff, the clips from their movies, and the fact that there's almost always some song or another playing in the background.

That was the thing I liked most about the set is that you so often get the complete song with no interruptions. And I was surprised to discover that the Beatles had invented music videos.

Last edited by evenswr; 04-07-03 at 05:31 PM.
Old 04-07-03, 07:56 PM
Banned

Re: Where Are All The ANTHOLOGY Dvd Reviews?

Originally posted by EricBill
What's with the compleat (inside Beatle's joke there, har har) lack of online reviews for ANTHOLOGY??? I've searched high and low, and the only online published review of the set that I can find is at www.ign.com - which is virtually the same as NO review at all (can't believe people pay subscriptions to IGN when their "free" stuff is just TERRIBLE). Now, I woulda thought that ANTHOLOGY would have had more buzz than any other dvd release last week, but one would think it was a Brentwood release from the lack of published reviews!

What about Dvd Talk... When's YOUR review coming out?
That's a great question. I'm a DVD Talk reviewer and since I have a copy of Anthology in my hot little hands I think I'll go ahead and do a review of it this week. Just for you!
Old 04-07-03, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I heard the one drawback is the lack of chapter stops at each song. My Uncle is a Beatles finatic and he loves the set but like me, likes music based DVD's to have each song with it's own chapter stop. Minor inconvenience but worth noting
Old 04-07-03, 09:02 PM
Banned

Originally posted by JimRochester
I heard the one drawback is the lack of chapter stops at each song. My Uncle is a Beatles finatic and he loves the set but like me, likes music based DVD's to have each song with it's own chapter stop. Minor inconvenience but worth noting

That's true. I hadn't even thought of that. I'm writing my review right now. I'll make note of it.
Old 04-08-03, 02:04 AM
Banned

For what it's worth my Anthology review can be found here:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=6023

Hope you enjoy it!