Evil Dead - which version to buy

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-03, 03:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To those that have this DVD, which version should I go for, should I get the anchor bay special edition or the Elite release?

SOmething that I remember reading somewhere I think the 4:3 is the correct aspect ratio?
Old 04-03-03, 05:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...ight=Evil+Dead

"Search function" is your friend.
Old 04-03-03, 08:58 AM

I would buy the elite version which is in 1:33, and also the book of the dead version 1:85 and plus it looks cool.
Old 04-03-03, 12:51 PM
Banned

The "Book of the Dead" edition and Anchor Bay's newish "standard edition" (which was released simultaneously with the "Book of the Dead" edition, features the same transfer as "Book of the Dead" with fewer extras) are the only uncut versions of the film available on DVD. All other versions omit the lightning bolt animation early in the film. The newer editions also present the movie matted to 1.85:1. This new transfer was supervised by Bruce Campbell and approved by Sam Raimi. The other DVD's present the movie in the unaltered 1.33:1 aspect ratio of the camera negative. You get more picture with the older release but as I said they're cut, and Raimi composed the movie to be matted for theatrical exhibition so you're getting something closer to his true intentions with the widescreen transfer.

Last edited by GuruAskew; 04-03-03 at 12:55 PM.
Old 04-03-03, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
The actual aspect ratio of ED has been a hotly debated topic in the past. Raimi oversaw Elite's 1.33:1 transfer and approved it. Suffice it to say that both AB and Elite's discs are both quality offerings.
Old 04-03-03, 01:59 PM
Banned

But Anchor Bay's widescreen transfer is not only complete, which the Elite and previous fullscreen Anchor Bay releases weren't, it's also got the more recent approval from Raimi. Whether he supervised and approved Elite's transfer or not, he's since approved Anchor Bay's new transfer. There's also the fact that Bruce Campbell, while not the director of the film, probably knows just about as much about this particular film as Sam Raimi does. He was extensively involved with the production of the movie as both a star and co-producer. I still have my old Elite disc and have no intentions of getting rid of it but if I just wanted one edition of "The Evil Dead" on DVD I'd have to pick the "Book of the Dead" editions. It has nearly all the supplements from the Elite edition (the Elite has a more extensive still gallery) and some brand-new supplements, not to mention the most complete and recently approved transfer.
Old 04-03-03, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welll i just sold my BOD edition & am keeping my Elite release

I prefer the film in 1:33 rather than cropped since it felt to cramped in many shots.Maybe if it were matted to 1:66.It would be tolerable.Yet 1:85 really cramped up the picture to my eyes.

Thus i'm glad i sold my BOD edition & will never rebuy another title i own unless it's truely worth it.
Old 04-03-03, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
As I said, both discs are fine. I already own the Elite disc, and am extremely delighted with it. thundergod, as you can see it is not a clear choice... it's a toss-up. So go with the AR you prefer and the price of the disc. They're as good a reason as any to get one over the other.
Old 04-03-03, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I didn't realize Evil Dead was matted to 1:85. It looked alright to me.
Old 04-03-03, 05:43 PM

thanks for all the replies. This is a extemely difficult choice.

hmm so if I want the uncut version, i have to go with the anchor bay book of the dead edition or the anchor bay standard edition.
Old 04-03-03, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,203 Likes on 1,506 Posts
The packaging of the Book of the Dead edition makes it the winner for me (I don't mind the matting too much). I got mine autographed by the whole cast at a horror convention last year (its the perfect DVD packaging for autographs )
Old 04-03-03, 06:02 PM
Banned

If the matting is acceptable to Sam Raimi and Bruce Campbell it's acceptable to me, and the "Book of the Dead" has the best-ever DVD packaging. I believe one could safely assume that Raimi's later approval of the widescreen transfer supercedes his approval of the fullscreen transfer.

Last edited by GuruAskew; 04-03-03 at 06:05 PM.
Old 04-03-03, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Book of the Dead version, Elite version, Boomstick edition, Bootleg Director's Cut, Region 3 Director's Cut...

Hey, when are they finally going to screw me into buying another copy of Evil Dead II?
Old 04-03-03, 07:28 PM

I have both.
Old 04-03-03, 08:18 PM

They're both great, but if I had to choose only one It would be the Book of the Dead version. The packaging (although somewhat stinky ) is outstanding and I believe the 1.85:1 AR is closer to what Sam Raimi had in mind.
Old 04-03-03, 08:50 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here's another thread on the topic:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...ight=evil+dead

Closing duplicate.