Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Crimson Tide review wanted please.

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Crimson Tide review wanted please.

Old 04-11-01, 07:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After I watched U-571, I think I am addicted to submarine movie. I would like to hear your opinion about Crimson Tide, Das Boot and The Hunt For The Red October. Thanks in advanced! Love all of ya in this forum!
Old 04-11-01, 08:29 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by arikevin
After I watched U-571, I think I am addicted to submarine movie. I would like to hear your opinion about Crimson Tide, Das Boot and The Hunt For The Red October. Thanks in advanced! Love all of ya in this forum!
While the DVDs vary in features/quality (all most are bare bones) all of them are great movies IMHO.

Das Boot - Is a classic war movie that gives you a good view of what it would have been like to live/work in a U boat during WW2. It's nice to see a movie from the "other" side occasionally.

Crimson Tide - A good "study" of different leadership styles. A nice build up of tension and good repartee between Washington and Hackman.

Hunt for Red October - For me probably the "weakest" of the three since it is really just another action movie. However w/ Connery at the helm (pun intended ) it's worth a rental if not a purchase.

Also check out Run Silent, Run Deep, another WW2 based movie.
Old 04-11-01, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
I have not see Das Boot is that a special edition As far as Red October and Tide go the DVDs are ok but the movies rock. I would say October is better than Tide for repeat viewings but they both are good.
Old 04-11-01, 01:20 PM

I would agree with BigDaddy that "October" holds up much better than "Tide" with repeat viewings, though both are good movies. In fact, despite the fact that I've seen "October" several times, I got sucked into it yet again when it was on network TV the other night, and it still held my interest through all of the crappy commercials.
Old 04-11-01, 02:30 PM

With respect to the tecnical qualities of the DVDs...

Crimson Tide is bare-bones, non-anamorphic, and IMO has a very digital look - some shimmering (in Denzel's eyes in many scenes) and overly-sharp edges. The DD5.1 is very good, though - but not as good as U-571.

Das Boot is anamorphic and has some nice features - a short making-of and a pretty good commentary with Wolfgang and some crew. The DD5.1 is outstanding - about as good as U-571, IMO. The bolt-popping scene is very cool. But, it's a flipper - you have to get up and turn the disc over in the middle of the movie.

Red October is bare-bones, non-anamorphic, and has a pretty bad video transfer. IIRC, it is DD5.1 but isn't earth-shattering - haven't watched it in awhile but it wasn't memorable like Das Boot. Technically the weakest but still a great movie.