Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Review Wanted: Andrei Rublev

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Review Wanted: Andrei Rublev

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-01, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've heard that this is a disturbing movie, but I've also heard that it's the best film ever made. What's so disturbing about it?
Old 04-06-01, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

There is a huge village ransacking scene with simulated human violence and UNSIMULATED violence to animals. However, FWIW, I read that the violence against the animals was unplanned (looking at it this could be at least partially true) and Tarkovsky used the footage for its effect.

I think it is a great film but it is so (deliberately) slow, long, and serious that not everyone will love it. I would recommend a rental first, if possible.
Old 04-06-01, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
One of the most striking things about Tarkovsky's films has to be the pacing. Many of this Russian's films clock in close to or longer than 3 hours -- his most recent films are much closer to two hours though.

If you are the sort of person who shifts in your chair after 20, 40, or 60 minutes without an explosion, laugh, or special effect, you might as well pass on this one.

-Beebs
Old 04-07-01, 01:00 AM

For a general synopsis you can go to many places - amazon for one... but I will tell you a story about one of the 4 or 5 times I've seen Andrei Rublev. It was a foggy night in Manhattan near Columbia Univ. at the old Metro Theater - I think they started the movie around 8 or 9... Found a row where I could stretch out and put my feet up, as this is one movie you need to prepare for. Come to think of it, this may have been the first time I saw it. Anyway, we were half way through the "Bell" section, and it's pouring rain and mud in 15th century Russia. I feel something on my shoulder and ignore it (it's New York after all). Someone two rows down suddenly looks up and then to the side. I hear something - I know the movie is mono, so it can't be surround sound. Something else, this time on my head. The whole theater is stirring, and then on cue - a cool misty shower erupts inside the theater. It's New York, you know - so nobody is gonna admit to nothin'. All this to say, no one left... and I swear to God, when the lights went up, the floor was dry.

[Edited by tgproductions on 04-07-01 at 01:17 PM]
Old 04-07-01, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just want to say that I heartily recommend this dvd as an epic/historical film with many good extras. The length of the film seems to be the general topic in these responses. I think the beauty of the film (most of which is in black and white) is the most important thing.
Old 04-09-01, 12:44 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The rain comming down from the ceiling sounds like BS, but if it were true it would have been more appropriate at the end of Stalker.
Old 04-09-01, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I suggest you check out the really nifty time-line of Russian history, Rublev bio-facts, and Tarkovsky bio-facts before watching the film. Unless you're already well-versed in Russian history, it will inform your viewing immensely.

A great film.
Old 04-09-01, 01:17 PM

Originally posted by Pants
The rain comming down from the ceiling sounds like BS, but if it were true it would have been more appropriate at the end of Stalker.
Well It wasn't BS - I guess I have to be less cryptic and dramatic (an attempt to illustrate by word what is felt from the screen) and just say that the theater's roof was leaking and it was such a startling thing to have happen in the middle of the bell-making sequence - it made the power of Tarkovsky's imagery all that more.

As for Stalker - an earthquake would be appropriate for the final scene, or, just choose a theater above a subway line.
Old 04-10-01, 08:28 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was refering to the scene NEAR the end of Stalker when the rain poors down through the ceiling and makes paterns on the floor of "the room" while the three men lie on the floor. Very atmospheric scene.
Old 04-10-01, 11:47 PM

Originally posted by Pants
I was refering to the scene NEAR the end of Stalker when the rain poors down through the ceiling and makes paterns on the floor of "the room" while the three men lie on the floor. Very atmospheric scene.
Yeah, you're right - fantastic scene and filled with so much tension, anxiety, hope, expectation after that journey.