Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Surprise DVD Great - From Dusk Till Dawn

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Surprise DVD Great - From Dusk Till Dawn

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-01, 12:25 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you enjoy "The Making of" extras? If so, read on because this film is one of the best in that department...

Let me preface this review by telling you that From Dusk Till Dawn is nothing more than a horror film in the mold of 70's-80's horror buffs. (hack and slash) In the director's commentary, Tarantino tells you that this movie was made for fun and for readers of Fangoria magazine. (A horror movie fan magazine.) Violence, excess make-up and gory blood (although most of it's green) are rampant throughout this horror/adventure that still has the genius of a Tarantino screenplay.

Why is this the best DVD for filmmaking?? Because the film was made in fun (The director, Rodriguez, and Tarantino were going to take a year off but decided to make this picture with the understanding that it would be a "fun" project instead.) there are many behind the scenes openly candid moments that WOULD NEVER be filmed on most movie sets. As a matter of fact, the movie includes a documentary entitled "Full Tilt Boogie" that interviews just about all crewmembers including the grips, set designers, assistants to the actors, etc.. "Full Tilt Boogie" is a great example for anyone interested in the making of a movie. In today's movie world, From Dusk Til Dawn is relatively low budget. Therefore, the movie relies on what could be termed "old school" special effects for many of it's horror scenes. Because the movie was filmed with a low budget, you can witness many tricks of the trade (ie makeup, set design, etc.) instead of the usual making of CGI (computer animation) FX.

So far, this is the only director's commentary Tarantino has been apart of and it's also one of the best director's commentaries I have watched. Robert Rodriguez also includes 4 segments that concentrate on specific parts of the film that are intended to show people interested in filmmaking how certain angles, editing, etc. were picked... Deleted scenes, cast/crew bios and many other extras are included in this 2 CD set...

I wish more movies were made in fun because it shows in "The Making of" extras included in the DVD... I bought this not expecting it to be such a great DVD. If you love filmmaking itself, you will love this DVD...

Director - Robert Rodriguez
Screenplay - Quentin Tarantino

Stars George Clooney, Harvey Keitel, Juliette Lewis, Quentin Tarantino, Salma Hayek, Cheeck Marin, Kelly Preston, Michael Parks, Danny Trejo and more....