Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DTS Help: Jaws, Jurassic Park

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

DTS Help: Jaws, Jurassic Park

Old 04-03-01, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey, does anyone know whether I should replace my DDs of said titles above to pick up the DTS versions? I just got a DTS Home theatre and Im a DTS lover but Ive heard mixed reviews on above titles in DTS. Any help?
Old 04-03-01, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,150 Likes on 1,213 Posts
The DTS version of Jurassic Park is widely believed to be inferior to the DD version.

I doubt you would notice much difference on Jaws but having never done an A<-->B on this title personally I cannot give you an authoritative answer on this.

Old 04-03-01, 06:17 PM

Originally posted by JustinS
The DTS version of Jurassic Park is widely believed to be inferior to the DD version.

I doubt you would notice much difference on Jaws but having never done an A<-->B on this title personally I cannot give you an authoritative answer on this.

really? i've always watched jurassic park in DTS and never DD. there must be a pretty big difference if you say a lot of people think that the DTS is inferior. guess i'll watch it and hear for myself.

what do people say is inferior about it anyway?

Old 04-03-01, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Dunno about JP... And, I haven't done an A/B with Jaws... I do own the DTS version though and quite enjoyed it. Take that with a grain of salt though, like I say... Haven't heard the DD, so I have no point of reference. For what it's worth, here's an excerpt from the review at The Digital Bits...

Jaws is also available separately in a DTS 5.1 DVD version, and in many ways (if you have a DTS processor in your home theater) this is the way to go sound-wise. The disc is virtually identical to the standard Dolby Digital 5.1 version in every video and supplement arena. All the extras are here, and the wonderful video transfer shines on this disc as well. I originally wasn't all that impressed with the new 5.1 track constructed for the film. But after hearing it in DTS, I can see what Universal was getting at.

The soundstage is much more spacious and clear, as are most DTS tracks. But because this film is so musically and bass driven, the effects are that much more enjoyable as well. The sound really ends up being much more natural here, and although you'd have to set up an A/B comparison between the two versions to tell a "real" difference between the Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS tracks, when and if you do, you will be shocked at the difference.

The real reason I hold this version in such high regard, is it also contains a tricked-out Dolby Digital 2.0 track. If you're looking for a retro feel as well as a full blown sound effects ride for Jaws, this is the disc to buy.