Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Scarface DVD Review Wanted!

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Scarface DVD Review Wanted!

Old 03-21-01, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is the DVD loaded?? I think it's a great film, but not sure on the DVD trasnfer

I'd also like to get some other people's opinions on Scarface.
Old 03-21-01, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Scarface

Scarface is a good movie as long as you can forgive the following elements:

1) Very 80-ish looking production and music
2) The swearing (I think it holds the record for profanity)
3) The violence (which, I think, is valid since this is a
ganster film)

The dvd certainly doesn't boast the best transfer or sound. Pixels and artifacts are quite obvious throughout the movie but if you happen to be the less pickier type, I don't think it'll bother you.

Extra supplements has included an almost-hour long documentary on how this film ever got made and its problems when it was released. It has great interviews with Brian DePalma, Al Pacino, Martin Bregman (producer) and other crews. It covers the original Scarface played by Paul Muni to the X-rating the film was given after the MPAA winced at the violence and profanity.

Can't really say I have the best A/V setup & since I did like the film, I have no regrets getting it.
Old 03-21-01, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think Cardiac161 is being too kind. The transfer looks like it came from a 4th generation video tape. The DVD is also overpriced. Unless you must have it, I'd wait for a re-release.
Old 03-23-01, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Certainly one of my favorite DVD's. Theres also 10 minutes of cut scenes, some of which are really good. The video quality doesn't bother me since it never looked that good on tape.
Old 03-25-01, 10:24 AM

I love this movie. For that reason I had to have it.

The picture quality is totally unacceptable, but if you are a big fan of this movie then I would buy it now. Who knows how long until there is a new release.

The extras on this disc are also worth watching and contribute to my overall enjoyment of the movie. I especially liked the part in the documentary where they talk about how the movie was dubbed for TV.

"This towns like a big fat chicken just waiting to be plucked!"
Old 03-25-01, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I agree that the video qulaity is unnacceptable, as well. Especially bearing the Universal Collector's Edition logo on it, you'd think they would have actually watched the disc before releasing it...I think they didn't.
Color bleeding, excessive grain, pixelazation and an overall soft look makes this one a real dog in the video dept.
The film however, is a classic, and if you can overlook the video (hard too, though), I'd buy it. The extra content is good, most notably the documentary which further proves Oliver Stone is completely wacked out of his gourd.

"How'd you get that scar, tough guy...eatin' pineapple?"
Old 03-25-01, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Very VERY bad audio and especially video transfer, and the extras are moderate. It's a bad DVD, but the fact that it's WAAAY overpriced just kills it.
Old 03-28-01, 10:11 PM

A real "must buy" DVD if you ask me, even with the picture, which I admit is far from quality.
Old 03-28-01, 11:16 PM
Banned

WOULD NOT PURCHASE THIS DISC BY ANY MEANS OR EVEN ADD IT TO MY COLLECTION IF IT WAS FREE. I REALLY DO LIKE A FEW DE PALMA MOVIES BUT THIS MOVIE REALLY SUCKS!!!!!! THE TRANSFER IS SO TERRIBLE TOO. I SERIOUSLY WOULD NOT ADD THIS TO MY COLLECTION EVEN IF IT WAS FREE
Old 03-29-01, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's Scarface, geeze what are you waiting for?

The video and sound are okay, but way better than the VHS. And there are a lot of extras.

Just use your mattes, turn down the lights and enjoy.....

....you cock-a-roch