Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Review Wanted: Meet the Parents

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Review Wanted: Meet the Parents

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-01, 05:52 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I liked the movie, but how are the extras, commentary and sound/audio?

Are the extras worth the $15 or should I just get it on a CD-R from my friend?
Old 03-11-01, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...take a look here:

http://www.screenit.com/dvd/2000/meet_the_parents.html

...or here:

http://www.dvdreview.com/fullreviews..._parents.shtml

. . .

[Edited by Hendrik on 03-11-01 at 04:20 PM]
Old 03-11-01, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,878 Likes on 1,236 Posts
or http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?id=1631
Old 03-11-01, 08:14 PM

I watched my copy last night. I thought the film was hilarious, and it's got some good extras. I paid 15.99 for it at Circuit City(pricematch from BB), and I thought it was well worth the cash.
Old 03-11-01, 08:36 PM

While I didn't find the movie that funny, the DVD has some nice extras. Not enough to make me by the disc though.
Old 03-11-01, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The game results are random, correct?
Old 03-12-01, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
I thought this movie was HILARIOUS! So far, I've watched it 3x. It was a much better comedic vehicle for Deniro than "Analyze This". I felt the character that Deniro played in A.T. was a very disingenuous role for an actor that had played a hardened mobster be act so "sensitive". I wholehartedly believed that Deniro was the Jack Byrnes character.

I couldn't get enough of the continuous "Fockers" (name calling). My favorite was when they goofed on him and called him "Gay Focker". As Jay Roach said in the commentary, "This is not a nice family". This movie probably set the record for nut crunching. The casting was superb. Ben Stiller's character in this movie is similar to the character he played "Something About Mary" (which I also greatly enjoyed).
Old 03-12-01, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I bought the dvd unseen based on good reports from friends, but I have to say, I was disappointed. I simply did not find it that funny. Maybe it'll grow on me after I watch it a 2nd time?? The picture and sound quality are fine though.
Old 03-13-01, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

IMO it's fockin' hilarious!
Old 03-16-01, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ben Stiller's character in this movie is similar to the character he played "Something About Mary"

Ben Stiller almost always plays that same character. Of course, he's very good it, so why not stick with what works.

I enjoyed Meet the Parents a good deal. I haven't bought a DVD copy yet, but it's on my list, and I'll get it very soon.
Old 03-16-01, 05:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i enjoyed it even more at home than i did in the theater. great disc and great movie.
Old 03-17-01, 08:50 AM

After viewing the DVD, I was quite please with the results. Audio & Picture was great. It has excellent Special Features (Outtakes, Trailers, Deleted Scenes, DVD-ROM features, Behind the Scene footage... etc). It's fully loaded.
Old 03-17-01, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
This is one of the rare movies I actually got to see in the theater and loved it. I picked up the DVD and still laughed out loud. I think comedies in general are movies that really benefit from a large audience because the laughing is contageous. The DVD has some good extras and is well worth adding to your collection.
Old 03-17-01, 12:18 PM

this movie is funny, Pamela 'mother' focker
Old 03-17-01, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The DVD is about as good as you could ask for. It has great extras, DTS sound, and a great looking anamorphic transfer.

As for the movie, I think the cover says it all.

"Hilarious! Impossible not to laugh!"
Old 03-17-01, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The outtake of Robert DiNero uncontrollably laughing during the deleted dinner/vase scene is one of the funniest things I've ever seen. Here's the guy that usually sends chills down my spine with some of the characters he's played, but this scene shows the softer side of him as he giggles non-stop like a little schoolgirl.
Old 03-20-01, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The commentary with De Niro, Stiller, Roach, and the editor is good. However, it seems as if they could have just left De Niro out of it as he doesn't seem to want to say anything.

Old 03-22-01, 08:11 AM

Great Movie. Great DVD. I thought DeNiro and Stiller were hilarious in this film. The picture and sound is really good. The Extras (Deleted scenes, outtakes, trailers, DVD-ROM features, etc...) are excelent. Well worth owning.
Old 03-22-01, 09:01 AM

Flirting With Disaster

Anyone see this Ben Stiller film? VERY similar, and very funny as well.

It's about Ben (whose adopted) searching to find his real parents. The same kind of craziness ensues.

Lily Tomlin, Alan Alda, George Segal, and Mary Tyler Moore are all quite good.

Also not a box office smash, it was one of the most critically acclaimed films the year it was released.

- Matt C.

[Edited by MatthewCho on 03-22-01 at 07:03 AM]
Old 03-23-01, 07:53 AM

It's the kind of movie your wife will think is funnier than you do.

Not a bad flick though, had its moments. One of the few movies to effectively make a cat funny.

If you liked "Analyse This", you'll most likely like this one too. Good role for Stiller.
Old 04-03-01, 09:58 PM

Originally posted by Alvis
The commentary with De Niro, Stiller, Roach, and the editor is good. However, it seems as if they could have just left De Niro out of it as he doesn't seem to want to say anything.

The director tried hard to get Bob to say stuff, but they were pretty much one sentence answers and never expanded. I don't think he's the kind of guy to do commentaries.
Old 04-03-01, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Meet The Fockers - I can't wait for this highly anticipated sequel to MTP that Jay Roach alludes to in the running commentary. Could it it be that Jay Roach has created yet another movie franchise (with Austin Powers) to market every year. Most every weekend when I get some spare movie watching time, I keep coming back to this movie. My wife thinks I'm weird (so what else is new?)

***Spoilers***(Kind of)
My favorite is when they're out in the backyard and Focker accuses "Jinx" of flushing the toilet and Jack and Dr. Bob's father retort his accusation with how ridiculous it would be to believe that a cat (with no deposable thumbs) could flush a toilet. Even Dr. Bob Sr. gets in lots of "Fockers". I also love when they're walking up to Kevin's house when Dr. Bob's father mimicks to his wife someone toking pot. Not to mention the picture in Jack's nook of him dressed up in his Islamic Jihaad(sp) garb. Several times during the day, I will think about a funny part of the movie and just start bustin' up.

I guess what I love so much about this movie is the intense "ball-busting" that they put Focker through. That's what makes this movie more entertaining than "Something About Mary"

I just can't get enough "Fockers" being heaved at poor Gaylord. Oh yeah, that reminds me of when they goof on his real name "Gay Focker". I must admit that I did start to feel just a tee-bit bad for 'ol Gaylord when he was yelling at the airline employee about how the airline lost his bag and messed things up very badly for him. But she was such a twit, she was the one who probably contributed to it getting lost in the first place.

[WWFD - What Would Focker Do?]

[Edited by thgord on 04-03-01 at 10:00 PM]
Old 04-04-01, 03:47 AM

Re: Flirting With Disaster

Originally posted by MatthewCho
Anyone see this Ben Stiller film? VERY similar, and very funny as well.

It's about Ben (whose adopted) searching to find his real parents. The same kind of craziness ensues.

Lily Tomlin, Alan Alda, George Segal, and Mary Tyler Moore are all quite good.

Also not a box office smash, it was one of the most critically acclaimed films the year it was released.

- Matt C.

[Edited by MatthewCho on 03-22-01 at 07:03 AM]
I like this film too. I've considered buying the bare bones version several times, but I think I'll wait a few years to see if it'll ever get a nice SE release.
Old 04-05-01, 04:32 AM

must-buy!Funny!!
Old 04-09-01, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Shameless post to get this thread at the top of the page so that more people will post their take on how fockin' funny this movie is.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.