DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Traffic-rent or buy

Old 02-16-01, 10:18 AM
Max

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know its not on dvd as yet but wanted to post my thoughts before people start buying it up, saw it last night...

Two words....BOR-ING!
I pretty much agree with all the negatives on the other board....I did think the basic story was good and the filming but it was grueling to sit through! The whole movie was so monotone, finally when you thought there might be some action-like a car blowing up-its done without sound! Even the heavier scenes are totally listless! The one and only time I semi-found myself getting emotional is when Michael Douglas's character finally finds his daughter...

Also, whats with all the movies lately where its like 4 stories going on and then at the end they all intertwine! How original.

And the "color" issue for each story...big deal.

I will definitely NOT be buying this when it comes to dvd.

Please post your thoughts or reviews here....

[Edited by Max on 02-16-01 at 06:21 AM]
Old 02-16-01, 10:30 AM
Banned

I Agree

I agree with you whole-heartedly. I was soooooo dissapointed by this film, after hearing such wonderful things about it. I've already written a full-fledged review on it, so I'll keep this short and sweet:

Don't buy this DVD...

Buy Bring It On or something over this
Old 02-16-01, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Rent.

Although I also bought The Insider, which has a similar style, so who am i crapping?
Old 02-16-01, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Rent.

Not that the film isn't good, it is, but I don't see too much replay value. I'll watch it again when the DVD is released, but that will probably be the end of it.
Old 02-16-01, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 587 Likes on 473 Posts
Excellent movie. I will definitely buy it.
Old 02-16-01, 01:25 PM
Max

OUCH! I said I wanted to post MY thoughts...To each his own Ebert....so far 4-2...we win!

Originally posted by Tommy Two Times

Don't post stupid crap like this. Do us all a favor, delete it. BTW, I saw this exact same post in another thread, so how about you become creative. Also, TRAFFIC IS THE BEST MOVIE OF THE YEAR BY FAR, BUY IT! [/B]
Old 02-16-01, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Buy. Excellent film.
Old 02-16-01, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Don't post stupid crap like this. Do us all a favor, delete it. BTW, I saw this exact same post in another thread, so how about you become creative. Also, TRAFFIC IS THE BEST MOVIE OF THE YEAR BY FAR, BUY IT!
Don't post replies that can violate forum rules (i.e., personal attacks). We're all entitled to our own opinions, but please try to be a little more respectful in sharing them.

--Heather
Moderator, DVD Talk & Reviews forums
Old 02-16-01, 10:48 PM

I'll be buying it.

-Gonnosuke
Old 02-16-01, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Superb filmmaking. I'm definately picking this one up.
Old 02-17-01, 01:18 AM

Traffic was terrible. It's not even worth a rent. How the heck did this thing get nominated for 5 Academy Awards?

A lot of hype and not nearly enough delivered. When I say hype, I'm referring to all of the positive reviews that I heard and/or read either on the TV or in the newspaper. I'm not one to let reviews influence my judgement (for example, I even saw Mission To Mars), but when I hear all of this great stuff about a movie, I am at least expecting something worthwile. When will I learn that the movies the critics "rave" about are usually not worth my time of day.

[Edited by BartleyR7 on 02-17-01 at 10:05 AM]
Old 02-17-01, 03:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

When people say overhyped, I have to wonder how much their exposure to advertising, other marketing, reviews, and word of mouth has influenced their perception of the movie.

I thought this movie was excellent, although I didn't find the use of colors to be as innovative as some had made out. It was simply the color analog of (color = present), (B&W = past), put into geographic terms. Soderbergh's Out of Sight did it better, less obtrusively, and less obviously.
Old 02-17-01, 05:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I loved Traffic. No one in the theater I saw it in seemed bored. In fact, I was really intrigued by how interactive with the movie the audience seemed to be. A lot of reactions to what they were seeing, etc... It was my second favorite movie of the year.
Old 02-17-01, 05:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Max
BOR-ING!

What? Not enough explosions, flashing lights and d*ck and fart jokes for ya? Just joking. that's my stock answer when people say something is boring that I really liked.

I did think the basic story was good and the filming

great, so did I.

but it was grueling to sit through!

I don't understand how this comment could follow the first part of the sentence above.

The movie was so monotone

I would say that would make the film more realistic rather than heightened cinematically

finally when you thought there might be some action-like a car blowing up-its done without sound!

So, not enough explosions, flashing lights, d*ck and fart jokes, OR loud bangs.

Even the heavier scenes are totally listless!

Again I would say realistic.

The one and only time I semi-found myself getting emotional is when Michael Douglas's character finally finds his daughter...

I'm glad you at least enjoyed that scene.

Also, whats with all the movies lately where its like 4 stories going on and then at the end they all intertwine! How original.

Hardly something new or "lately" at all so your sarcasm doesn't quite work. Altman made it popular long ago and the concept existed LONG before that. I didn't even think of this film as being that type of "Altmanesque" film at all anyway.

and the "color" issue for each story...big deal.

I don't think it was supposed to be a big deal. Simply a stylistic choice. I haven't heard anyone say they liked TRAFFIC because there were different filters used for different locations. Soderbergh has done this in several other films. OUT OF SIGHT and THE UNDERNEATH for example. It's just something he likes to do to create an atmosphere. It's not supposed to be gimmicky or earthshattering and is hardly anything new either.

I'm sorry you didn't love this film as much as I did.

I did.
Old 02-17-01, 10:54 AM

Traffic is a rental at most.
Old 02-18-01, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's till in the theaters. Go see it!
Old 02-18-01, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 349 Likes on 255 Posts
Originally posted by JaxComet
It's till in the theaters. Go see it!
Word. I love suttle movies like this. A movie doesn't have to create suspense to be good. It doesn't have to be loud (ie Snatch). Some examples...

The Insider
Sex, Lies, and Videotape
Magnolia
Unbreakable
Hannibal

I thought that The Insider, along with Three Kings, was the best of 1999. Hell, Sex, Lies, and Videotape is one of my all time favorites.
Old 02-18-01, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Saw it tonight. Liked it alot!
Old 02-19-01, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would definately rent it and see if you like it or not. I rarely buy a movie without having seen it.
Old 02-19-01, 12:48 PM
Banned

A must buy.
Old 02-19-01, 02:09 PM
Banned

definitely buying it, classic film.

Old 02-19-01, 03:07 PM

Why post this topic if you haven't seen the film?

I think it's a classic film & will be adding it to my collection, buy!
Old 02-19-01, 03:09 PM

Oops! you have seen the film.
Old 02-21-01, 09:10 AM
Max

So I guess I get an "F" on my report card....oh well.

Taking everything back my basic thought was that I just found it to be tedious and monotone with no real high or low points. I like a good solid drama as much as the next person as long as it stirs some kind of emotion in me, this barely did. End of story with me....and again to each his own.

Originally posted by garmonbozia
Originally posted by Max
BOR-ING!

What? Not enough explosions, flashing lights and d*ck and fart jokes for ya? Just joking. that's my stock answer when people say something is boring that I really liked.

I did think the basic story was good and the filming

great, so did I.

but it was grueling to sit through!

I don't understand how this comment could follow the first part of the sentence above.

The movie was so monotone

I would say that would make the film more realistic rather than heightened cinematically

finally when you thought there might be some action-like a car blowing up-its done without sound!

So, not enough explosions, flashing lights, d*ck and fart jokes, OR loud bangs.

Even the heavier scenes are totally listless!

Again I would say realistic.

The one and only time I semi-found myself getting emotional is when Michael Douglas's character finally finds his daughter...

I'm glad you at least enjoyed that scene.

Hardly something new or "lately" at all so your sarcasm doesn't quite work. Altman made it popular long ago and the concept existed LONG before that. I didn't even think of this film as being that type of "Altmanesque" film at all anyway.

and the "color" issue for each story...big deal.

I don't think it was supposed to be a big deal. Simply a stylistic choice. I haven't heard anyone say they liked TRAFFIC because there were different filters used for different locations. Soderbergh has done this in several other films. OUT OF SIGHT and THE UNDERNEATH for example. It's just something he likes to do to create an atmosphere. It's not supposed to be gimmicky or earthshattering and is hardly anything new either.

I'm sorry you didn't love this film as much as I did.

I did.
Old 02-21-01, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 360 Likes on 263 Posts
I saw it in theaters and might rent it... ever. I do like subtle films and films with good story lines but I think this movie suffers from all the hype surounding it. There was too much buzz about the film and it did not meet my expectations.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.